Kwame&Tia

CR1 Denied for public charge (split)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello VJ, I am new he re to this forum but am in need of advice. My husband and I filed for the CR1 Visa after we were married. He has been for his interview at the U.S. Embassy in Accra Ghana, and we were Well Prepared for that day. We needed a Joint Sponsor, and we presented all of the documents on the Sponsors behalf but our application was denied. We later found out that the denial was due to there not being a Letter from the Joint Sponsor included in the documents. We got the letter, had it notorized, and sent it to the Embassy. They waited a few days and called my husband saying they did not have this letter. We were very confused by that but we offered to resubmit it and they said oh no don't worry, we will contact you again soon. The next thing we got was a call to come pick up the Passport but no visa. Instead it was a Public Charge finding. This is confusing due to the fact that we have an over qualified Joint Sponsor. Please we feel as if we are being treated unfairly, yet what do we do now.? We sent a new Letter of Sponsorship, that they lost and we ate waiting for a response from the Embassy. My state senator has been making inquires on our behalf as well. We dont know what to do next. Any good advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post split off to it's own thread. Please do not post questions for your own case in other members threads. It can cause confusion to the thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

The embassy said they want a letter from joint sponsor? 

Public charge means they might want a joint sponsor for your petition. What was the code for your denial?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, Kwame&Tia said:

Hello VJ, I am new he re to this forum but am in need of advice. My husband and I filed for the CR1 Visa after we were married. He has been for his interview at the U.S. Embassy in Accra Ghana, and we were Well Prepared for that day. We needed a Joint Sponsor, and we presented all of the documents on the Sponsors behalf but our application was denied. We later found out that the denial was due to there not being a Letter from the Joint Sponsor included in the documents. We got the letter, had it notorized, and sent it to the Embassy. They waited a few days and called my husband saying they did not have this letter. We were very confused by that but we offered to resubmit it and they said oh no don't worry, we will contact you again soon. The next thing we got was a call to come pick up the Passport but no visa. Instead it was a Public Charge finding. This is confusing due to the fact that we have an over qualified Joint Sponsor. Please we feel as if we are being treated unfairly, yet what do we do now.? We sent a new Letter of Sponsorship, that they lost and we ate waiting for a response from the Embassy. My state senator has been making inquires on our behalf as well. We dont know what to do next. Any good advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Probably a letter from the joint sponsor explaining WHY they were willing to act as sponsor.  What is the joint sponsor's relationship to either of you?  What is their plausible reason for being willing to actually support your husband if needed?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

The Joint Sponsor is like a father to me. He is a very close family friend who has been in my life for a number of years. Our families are all close as well. He is also very fond of my husband and has gotten to know him over the past 2 years since we've been married. He sent a written letter stating these things and he even had that letter Notorized. Now we are just waiting for the Embassy to respond. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, nastra30 said:

The embassy said they want a letter from joint sponsor? 

Public charge means they might want a joint sponsor for your petition. What was the code for your denial?

It was 212 a 4 which is public charge. For this reason we supplied the necessary information. A sponsor needs to be qualified and ours is. He meets the Guidelines. 

Timeline
53 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Probably a letter from the joint sponsor explaining WHY they were willing to act as sponsor.  What is the joint sponsor's relationship to either of you?  What is their plausible reason for being willing to actually support your husband if needed?

The relationship is like family. The Joint Sponsor is like a father to me. He is also close to my husband, and the two have become close as well. My family and the Joint Sponsors family are close. He stated the nature of our relationship in the Letter of Support. He was very detailed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sounds like you have done all you can, sent another letter, contacted senator for assistance, so all you can do for now is wait and see what the response is...  hope for the best.  If they still deny, ask if you can get another co-sponsor, keep trying and eventually you'll get approved.  Or get another job to increase your income.  DOS is being really strict with public charge concerns these days, a directive from above.  It's a CO's judgment call based on all the evidence, even some who have very qualified co-sponsors are getting denied, often when the co-sponsor is related or a close friend.  It doesn't make sense but it's like they are denying more often even with a co-sponsor.  Good luck and I hope you make it through this.

Timeline
27 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Sounds like you have done all you can, sent another letter, contacted senator for assistance, so all you can do for now is wait and see what the response is...  hope for the best.  If they still deny, ask if you can get another co-sponsor, keep trying and eventually you'll get approved.  Or get another job to increase your income.  DOS is being really strict with public charge concerns these days, a directive from above.  It's a CO's judgment call based on all the evidence, even some who have very qualified co-sponsors are getting denied, often when the co-sponsor is related or a close friend.  It doesn't make sense but it's like they are denying more often even with a co-sponsor.  Good luck and I hope you make it through this.

I truly appreciate your advice and encouragement. Yes, we have done so much. This sponsor is our original of 2 Joint Sponsors that we have submitted to the Embassy. The Senator found out that he was denied because of a letter missing from his documents. We resent all of his documents again to be sure everything was in place, went back 3 years on tax transcripts, and sent a letter. The second sponsor was a family member to my husband yet was denied despite having an annual income of 95,000 for family of 4. We are so confused and devastated. I don't know what else to do. My husband and I comply with all of their requests, it seems they are doing this to us on purpose. But why.

Edited by Kwame&Tia

19 minutes ago, Kwame&Tia said:

I truly appreciate your advice and encouragement. Yes, we have done so much. This sponsor is our original of 2 Joint Sponsors that we have submitted to the Embassy. The Senator found out that he was denied because of a letter missing from his documents. We resent all of his documents again to be sure everything was in place, went back 3 years on tax transcripts, and sent a letter. The second sponsor was a family member to my husband yet was denied despite having an annual income of 95,000 for family of 4. We are so confused and devastated. I don't know what else to do. My husband and I comply with all of their requests, it seems they are doing this to us on purpose. But why.

Has the joint sponsor met your husband in person?

Timeline
7 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Has the joint sponsor met your husband in person?

Oh yes he has. My Joint Sponsor has met my husband in person and they spent much time together. He is like a father to me and he admires my husband very much. It meant alot to me for them to meet.

Worst case scenario you as his wife and primary sponsor get a job above the 125% poverty line, after a year when you have tax returns and length of time at a job do another I-864 and send it in. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.