TastyCake

Kiev interview calendar question

141 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
48 minutes ago, Trapper99 said:

If only 3 people working the immigrant visa, 1 or 2 quiting /transferring/fired etc could really throw a wrench into things. Quite possibly could be something like that and they are stuck with scheduling way out until they get a replacements.

Maternity leave.  Extended vacation.  Maybe one of the guys was a hound, chasing every skirt in the building and finally they said, 'Look, Bill Clinton, you're outta here'.  The possibilities are limitless.

Either way we're stuck with the current circumstances.  Hopefully things change and more appointments open up in June and July for us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
6 minutes ago, TastyCake said:

Maternity leave.  Extended vacation.

I was just going to suggest these very realistic variables.

The possibilities are limitless.

Uh, except for lines of Central Americans wanting asylum. :P 

If there's a bright spot, August leaves you time to plan for moving, etc., on the U.S. & foreign end.

Great time to begin collecting multiple copies of documents that would be difficult or expensive to get once out of the country (birth certificates of self/kids if applicable; divorce certificates if applicable; vaccination/health records; school/university transcripts...).

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
3 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Uh, except for lines of Central Americans wanting asylum. :P 

And you have certain members of Congress at the border handing out party favors to the conga line streaming in.  'And here's one for you, and one for you, and one for you...'

You are definitely making lemonade out of lemons.  There's ample time now to take a deep breath, work out some logistics, as you say obtain extra copies of things.  If I am unable to grab an earlier appointment by the end of June I'm just going with my current appointment date, scheduling my flight (I will be accompanying my little cinnamon bagel to the interview), booking the hotel room in Kiev, etc.

Timeline

Good thinking.  Just don't "presume" granting of the visa, its printing/delivery on a timely basis, etc.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Well, I was able to go ahead and schedule an interview for Aug 14th, even without the case arriving at the embassy yet. I guess that answers the question if you are able to schedule an interview without the case being at the embassy yet. I know it's probably not "recommended" to do this. I had case #, filed DS160, and fee paid and the system let me schedule. 

Wanted to give this a shot and see, and not have to wait until it arrives with the next shipment from the NVC. Hopefully this date is our "worst case scenario". Now only question is will they cancel it?🤔

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Trapper99 said:

Well, I was able to go ahead and schedule an interview for Aug 14th, even without the case arriving at the embassy yet. I guess that answers the question if you are able to schedule an interview without the case being at the embassy yet. I know it's probably not "recommended" to do this. I had case #, filed DS160, and fee paid and the system let me schedule. 

Wanted to give this a shot and see, and not have to wait until it arrives with the next shipment from the NVC. Hopefully this date is our "worst case scenario". Now only question is will they cancel it?🤔

I applaud your aggressiveness.  No guarantees of course but I'm inclined to think you'll be good with this appointment day/time that you just scheduled.  You paid the fee.  The DS-160 is complete.  You have your case number.  You're probably good.

I only wish I had the presence of mind to do this myself back in mid-May.  I didn't think I could at the time.  If I did this as well, I might have been able to schedule my appointment before this inexplicable gap in appointment availability.  But who knew???

Timeline
On 6/6/2019 at 9:03 AM, Trapper99 said:

I have looked every single day thus far to see if I can reschedule for earlier.  No earlier appointments are appearing at all.  Nothing in June.  Nothing in July.   Nothing in early August.  And August just continues to get later and later.

And one thing I find interesting.  I don't see anything in September OR October.  Not that I was looking for either of those months but I just happened to notice this on a quick eye scan of the overall calendar.  Nothing is set up for those months yet?  Maybe this is normal but right now you have something like 6 or 7 days in August to choose from and that's it.  It just makes you wonder if they had someone working there who knew what he/she was doing and that person left or is away on vacation or something.  From a calendar perspective at least, It just doesn't seem to be very coordinated over there right now.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by TastyCake

1 hour ago, TastyCake said:

I have looked every single day thus far to see if I can reschedule for earlier.  No earlier appointments are appearing at all.  Nothing in June.  Nothing in July.   Nothing in early August.  And August just continues to get later and later.

And one thing I find interesting.  I don't see anything in September OR October.  Not that I was looking for either of those months but I just happened to notice this on a quick eye scan of the overall calendar.  Nothing is set up for those months yet?  Maybe this is normal but right now you have something like 6 or 7 days in August to choose from and that's it.  It just makes you wonder if they had someone working there who knew what he/she was doing and that person left or is away on vacation or something.  From a calendar perspective at least, It just doesn't seem to be very coordinated over there right now.  Maybe I'm wrong.

A friend of mine (who's wife is a K1 through Kyiv) talked to a Consular Public Liaison Officer yesterday and he said there are indeed interviews in June and July, but they are full purely do to increased demand. Take that for what it is worth, but it is the best info we have so far. CPL said only hope for an earlier appointment would be through a cancellation as there won't be anymore interviews opening in June or July. 

In regards to Sept and Oct, this sounds correct as they probably haven't opened that calendar yet for scheduling. 

Edit: He also told me do not mention what I did (scheduling the interview without receiving email from embassy) or they will cancel it. Said show up with interview confirmation and all documents for interview and will be good to go. They don't have anything that will automatically cancel my interview. 

Edited by Trapper99

Timeline
1 hour ago, Trapper99 said:

A friend of mine (who's wife is a K1 through Kyiv) talked to a Consular Public Liaison Officer yesterday and he said there are indeed interviews in June and July, but they are full purely do to increased demand. Take that for what it is worth, but it is the best info we have so far. CPL said only hope for an earlier appointment would be through a cancellation as there won't be anymore interviews opening in June or July. 

In regards to Sept and Oct, this sounds correct as they probably haven't opened that calendar yet for scheduling. 

Edit: He also told me do not mention what I did (scheduling the interview without receiving email from embassy) or they will cancel it. Said show up with interview confirmation and all documents for interview and will be good to go. They don't have anything that will automatically cancel my interview. 

Thanks for the 411.  Maybe the CPL is spot on with this explanation but i find it puzzling how people just a few weeks before us were getting interviews in 1-3 weeks.  There has been THAT much of an influx of K1s in Ukraine that all June and July appointments are booked solid???  Color me skeptical but, as you say, it's the best info we have so far.

I think I'm resigned to the fact my appointment will be when it is already scheduled.  I need to stop doing this but it just burns me up when I look at other timelines (Ukraine and other countries) and see people who will be (or are already) done 70-90 days earlier than I will be (NOA1 to interview date).  After the petition got approved, things were moving along very quickly.  And now this.  Frustrating.

I know, I know... all cases are different.  In a way it's kind of a b.s. response and, in another way, it is accurate.  I still don't want to hear it.  : o)

Thanks for the 411.  Maybe the CPL is spot on with this explanation but i find it puzzling how people just a few weeks before us were getting interviews in 1-3 weeks.  There has been THAT much of an influx of K1s in Ukraine that all June and July appointments are booked solid???  Color me skeptical but, as you say, it's the best info we have so far.

I think I'm resigned to the fact my appointment will be when it is already scheduled.  I need to stop doing this but it just burns me up when I look at other timelines (Ukraine and other countries) and see people who will be (or are already) done 70-90 days earlier than I will be (NOA1 to interview date).  After the petition got approved, things were moving along very quickly.  And now this.  Frustrating.

I know, I know... all cases are different.  In a way it's kind of a b.s. response and, in another way, it is accurate.  I still don't want to hear it.  : o)

It's not only K1s, but all immigrant visa cases. There is a lack of timelines on here showing interviews in June or July which is suspicious, but it is all user reported info so understandable.

Yes I agree with you...best to just expect the interviews will be as scheduled. Kyiv embassy went to among the fastest to the slowest overnight it seems.

Timeline

The "hurry up & wait" is frustrating, but again, use the extra time to your fullest benefit.  Not only collect the vital personal documents as suggested before, but also renew her passport before the visa goes in it (a passport with a long expiration date can be a true boon), and make plans for what you want to happen after U.S. arrival -- schooling, travel, etc.  This enables  both of you to hit the ground running.

Added thought:  If she has a driver's license, get it renewed for the longest period possible.  If she doesn't have one but has the faintest opportunity to learn to drive between now and the interview, seize it.  A fresh driver's license is even more valuable than a long-valid passport.

Timeline
17 hours ago, Trapper99 said:

It's not only K1s, but all immigrant visa cases.

I totally get that but my point is it has been the same landscape month to month to month.  Now all of a sudden Kiev is packed?  It's just not passing the smell test for me.  Anyway...

Timeline
6 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

The "hurry up & wait" is frustrating, but again, use the extra time to your fullest benefit.  Not only collect the vital personal documents as suggested before, but also renew her passport before the visa goes in it (a passport with a long expiration date can be a true boon), and make plans for what you want to happen after U.S. arrival -- schooling, travel, etc.  This enables  both of you to hit the ground running.

Added thought:  If she has a driver's license, get it renewed for the longest period possible.  If she doesn't have one but has the faintest opportunity to learn to drive between now and the interview, seize it.  A fresh driver's license is even more valuable than a long-valid passport.

We have assembled all documents already.  I even have my I-134 now (the last that had to be put together).  She got a fresh biometric passport in February that's good for 10 years.  We're already planning for when she arrives (got several things set up already) but that doesn't take 2+ months.

She has no driver's license and has never driven in her life.  She won't be getting one before our arrival.  I have to warm her up to driving over time.  MA drivers kill the weak and eat the wounded so this may not be an activity until after we relocate to the much calmer northern New England (among our future plans).

I'm retiring in a countable number of years.  She has no plans to work.  We're beyond the 'schooling' part of our lives (which is why the 'hurry up and wait' nonsense is even more frustrating... we ain't gettin' any younger).

Bottom line is we are just waiting and really for no good reason.  I think there's something irregular going on over there at the embassy... I just don't know what it is.  And if history is any indicator (when it comes to my experience with this visa process), dollars to donuts suddenly Kiev will be accommodating interviews in 1-3 weeks again ONE DAY after my fiancee arrives in America.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
6 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Ukraine switched to biometric passports in 2016, so pretty much everyone has recently renewed thier passports. 

It takes 1 day to renew driver's license and 5 days to get international driver's license.. 

I only wish I haven't quit my job this early... bummer 😆I think I need to find a new one

Timeline
20 hours ago, TastyCake said:

the 'hurry up and wait' nonsense is even more frustrating

Understood and understandable.  Console yourself by repeating "it's only a couple of months, versus a black hole of indeterminate time."  Really pulling for you, and hoping to celebrate good news after the interview, whenever it occurs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.