TastyCake

Kiev interview calendar question

141 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I realize it will be necessary to receive the embassy email first, follow the instructions, pay any fee(s), etc. but I was interested in hearing from people who have already scheduled an interview at the U.S. Embassy in Kiev.

1)  When you were finally able to get to the calendar, about how far out were the available interview dates?  I am trying to gauge how soon we might be able to schedule the interview.  Then I will book a flight since I plan to accompany my fiancee to the embassy

2)  Our plan was to try and set it up to do the medical exam one day and the interview the next day so everything is boom, boom.  Have people been able to do this with success?  Or maybe people had a different plan that worked better?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You do not need any e-mail. I would allow at least 2 days for medical, as you might not get your results same day depending on how busy they are. We used Medicom offices by the way. 

The only thing you need to "Wait" for is your case getting to Kyiv. But you can actually schedule medical before that.

Timeline

Gotcha.  Thanks for the 4-1-1.  I have now officially scuttled the whole 'medical exam one day, embassy interview the next day' idea.

So let me see if I understand what you are saying.  We can contact Medicom... even now if we want... and schedule her medical exam.  I think the only thing I am skittish about (and maybe for no good reason) is we are clueless as to when the interview will be.  I didn't want too much time between the exam and the interview but maybe a couple of weeks isn't a problem.

I am going to accompany her to the embassy so I will have to book a flight.  She lives in Vinnytsia (3 hour train ride from Kiev so not just around the corner).

So, would you think it is best to put her on a train... say first week of June (assuming availability at Medicom)... and then book the interview when the calendar opens up... say 3rd or 4th week of June (assuming availability at the embassy) and we can just stop by Medicom the day before the interview and pick up the package?  Then next day go to the interview with all our stuff (including exam results)?  Does this sound feasible to you?

When you finally were able to see the embassy calendar for scheduling the interview, can you recall how far out they were booked?  Was it like a month or so?  Or do they pretty much have availability all the time?

Timeline

When we did our interviews could literally schedule it next day. I see from your timeline your packet is on the way to Kyiv. CEAC probably already showing status as "ready" for you. Case will physically arrive Friday, and Embassy should be ready on Monday. It is also perfectly fine to call the Embassy on the phone to schedule things which might give you better idea of the time availability. You can look for some rental flats at  booking.com near the Embassy. And yes, it should be perfectly fine get package from medicon the day before. MEdicom btw is not too far from Metro station (About 10 min walk) To be clear, it is possible that medicom results will be ready same day, especially if you have early morning appointment, but it is not a risk I would take. 

Timeline

Thanks, Shiran.  Great info.  I will speak with my fiancee tomorrow and work out a plan taking into account the info you provided.

Timeline

Shiran, I was hoping to run another question by you... a bit off topic... it has to do with paying the fee before scheduling the interview.  I see the following on the website:

Important note:  Please be informed that you will not be able to schedule your visa appointment until you pay your $265 visa application fee and obtain a visa confirmation receipt from the bank.

• Print the following document: “Deposit Slip – $265 MRV Fee”, take this deposit slip to your nearest Raiffeisen Bank Aval branch and pay your $265 visa application fee. You will be provided a payment confirmation receipt by the bank. It takes approximately three to five hours for your payment transaction to become active.

So the only way to pay the fee is in Ukraine and my fiancee will need to do this?  I can't do this online myself?  How did you handle this?  Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Timeline
1 hour ago, TastyCake said:

So the only way to pay the fee is in Ukraine and my fiancee will need to do this?  I can't do this online myself?  How did you handle this?  Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Unless things changed, yes it has to be paid at specific bank in Ukraine. The actual cost will be more than $265 too due to exchange rates, as you have to pay in Hryvnas, and Embassy uses rate that often a lot higher than bank rate. If you are planning to be there, you can obviously provide the funds for it in person. If not, and she cannot borrow it or doesn't have saving, you will need to transfer it somehow, which is a challenge. We used RIA financial, as last I checked PayPal doesn't work.

Timeline

I can't believe how difficult they make this for people.  There should be a way for you to pay this online without having to use some local bank in the local currency.

I can send her the money via MoneyGram.  I do this all the time.  What I need to find out is if there is a local Raiffeisen bank in her city of Vinnitsa.  Probably not but, if so, she can pay there herself when she receives the money from me.

I never heard of RIA financial.  I will check it out but I will probably opt for MoneyGram since I already know it.

Timeline
2 hours ago, TastyCake said:

local Raiffeisen bank in her city of Vinnitsa.

I am sure there are. They have branches all over. https://ukraine-kiev-tour.com/atms-vinnytsia.html Look for Aval.

Edited by Shiran

Timeline

Yeah I spoke with her and there's one near her flat.  🙂  They even accommodate MoneyGram.  So she can do it all there.  Obtain $, convert to hryvnia and then pay with the deposit slip.  Ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom.

So Medikom gave you the package from the medical exam and you brought it with your other documentation to the embassy interview?  Medikom didn't send it via courier to the embassy on your behalf?  We'll try and schedule the medical exam within a few days of the embassy interview but I have a plan to call the embassy tomorrow and get some guidance from them.  I want to do it right and, like you, I don't want to risk anything.  I want to walk into the embassy with everything... nice, neat and orderly.

For the medical exam, my fiancee has a vaccination form from her doctor (also an English translation of that document).  Besides that, her biometric passport and ... of course herself... we didn't think anything else was needed for Medikom.  If we're overlooking anything, can you please let me know?  The rest of the documents I thought were solely for the embassy interview.

Geez, after the USCIS 'lull', it's like going from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds.  Hang onto your hat !!!

Timeline
21 minutes ago, TastyCake said:

For the medical exam, my fiancee has a vaccination form from her doctor (also an English translation of that document).  Besides that, her biometric passport and ... of course herself... we didn't think anything else was needed for Medikom.  If we're overlooking anything, can you please let me know? 

Don't forget passport pictures. I think guide says they need 2, but they only took one from us. Not that it matters. She can get them printed at the Metro nearby. And money of course. Also in Hryvnas, but that at least converted at the bank rate, not US government rate. She is not going to need English translation of her "Anketa" but yes absolutely bring the medical records. When done, she will be handed DS-3025 outside of the packet, and sealed "Do not open!" packet to take the Embassy. No courier, which is a good thing, less places for thing to  go wrong. Hopefully she has a good backpack or bag to pack it in. 
They might make her fast 8 hours before the medical (even though the blood test just test for Syphilis, so no fasting should be needed?) They will provide her sandwiches after they collect blood and urine but she can bring snack of her own. 

Timeline

Yes, we have most things for the embassy interview now (passport pictures, etc.).  My I-134 should be ready shortly.  I was only concerned about the medical exam requirements.

Would you know the Metro station that is 10 minutes from Medikom?  My fiancee will call them tomorrow and inquire about available appointment days/times.

She also has available funds to pay the visa application fee and my money will reimburse her early next week.  🙂  She will go to Raiffeisen tomorrow morning and get that completed.  Maybe by the end of my workday on Friday she and I can hop on Skype and find a day and time for our embassy interview!  Exciting times!

Timeline
1 hour ago, TastyCake said:

Would you know the Metro station that is 10 minutes from Medikom?

It's been awhile, but I believe it is Палац "Україна"

Make sure she doesn't misplace the record of payment banks give her. Best yet, have her take a picture of it the moment she gets it and forward it to you. It is the only way to tie her DS-160 with payment. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just checking the closest date for an interview and in Kiev and its August 7. Thats insane. Compared to another VJ timelines i see that everyone had an interview 7-15 days after case was received by embassy. Do you think it might get closer date or should i booked august?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, romancape said:

Just checking the closest date for an interview and in Kiev and its August 7. Thats insane. Compared to another VJ timelines i see that everyone had an interview 7-15 days after case was received by embassy. Do you think it might get closer date or should i booked august?

Shiran had said:

<< When we did our interviews could literally schedule it next day. >>

So this would come as a surprise to me.  Did you try calling the embassy at their 703 number?  If you press the button that denotes you already completed your DS-160 you can get a live person.  Maybe they can clarify.  I am wondering if the June calendar hasn't been built out yet.

Our petition is good through late August and I wouldn't want to cut it that close.

Are you sure you are searching using all the correct parameters?  Methinks something may not be 100% right.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.