31 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I was just browsing the USCIS website and I noticed the I-693 form they have on there expired on 2/28/2019? There should be an updated form elsewhere, no?

32 minutes ago, barashka said:

Hey guys, I was just browsing the USCIS website and I noticed the I-693 form they have on there expired on 2/28/2019? There should be an updated form elsewhere, no?

No. If it's the one available on the USCIS website, it's current regardless of the date.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
51 minutes ago, barashka said:

OMB expiration is not pertinent.   USCIS goes be edition date 

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Here is a good explanatory link about USCIS form expiration: 

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

35 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

No. If it's the one available on the USCIS website, it's current regardless of the date.

Thank you for the prompt response, as always!

My wife will probably need a new medical now because I was on here and after reviewing our case, I determined she might need to: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-4

I know you are a very informative person and many of us on here really appreciate your advice. Here are our case details: My wife had her medical conducted late May of 2018. She received her K-1 visa June of 2018 and entered the United States late July of 2018. We submitted her Adjustment of Status package late October of 2018. According to the box in the link above, do you think we need a new medical? What do you think?

Edited by barashka

43 minutes ago, barashka said:

Thank you for the prompt response, as always!

My wife will probably need a new medical now because I was on here and after reviewing our case, I determined she might need to: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-4

I know you are a very informative person and many of us on here really appreciate your advice. Here are our case details: My wife had her medical conducted late May of 2018. She received her K-1 visa June of 2018 and entered the United States late July of 2018. We submitted her Adjustment of Status package late October of 2018. According to the box in the link above, do you think we need a new medical? What do you think?

Did she complete her vaccines overseas and were they signed off on her DS3025 as this:

Screenshot_20190515-110018_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.5b746008bc95784fcc1a545981d84a81.jpg

14 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Did she complete her vaccines overseas and were they signed off on her DS3025 as this:

Screenshot_20190515-110018_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.5b746008bc95784fcc1a545981d84a81.jpg

They were all done in Moscow, Russia. At the time, they didn't give her an influenza vaccination because it was out of season. She received one late Fall of 2018 at her primary care physician office. I will look at her DS-3025 when I get home and get back to you! Thank you in advance.

40 minutes ago, barashka said:

They were all done in Moscow, Russia. At the time, they didn't give her an influenza vaccination because it was out of season. She received one late Fall of 2018 at her primary care physician office. I will look at her DS-3025 when I get home and get back to you! Thank you in advance.

Is she did not need the flu vaccine on the date of her overseas medical exam (because it was not flu season) she will not need it in the future to comply with the admissibility requirements of AOS.

If she completed everything that was required ON THE DATE of her overseas medical exam OR received a waiver for vaccines she could not get and her DS3025 was completed properly, then we she will not have to do anything further to be admissible for AOS regarding the medical requirements. 

It does not matter when you submit AOS or when you are interviewed. If you complied with the medical requirements that were required in that very moment in time of the overseas medical exam based on the time of the year it occurred (flu season or non-flu season) or due to vaccines available on that day or due to the applicant's personal health situation (ie. pregnant so could not obtain vaccines) on the date you had your overseas medical exam, then you're fine. You will not have to comply with any further vaccines provided you filed AOS within one year of the original medical date. That vaccination record is frozen in time and can be used as your record of compliance of the medical requirements. 

43 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Is she did not need the flu vaccine on the date of her overseas medical exam (because it was not flu season) she will not need it in the future to comply with the admissibility requirements of AOS.

If she completed everything that was required ON THE DATE of her overseas medical exam OR received a waiver for vaccines she could not get and her DS3025 was completed properly, then we she will not have to do anything further to be admissible for AOS regarding the medical requirements. 

It does not matter when you submit AOS or when you are interviewed. If you complied with the medical requirements that were required in that very moment in time of the overseas medical exam based on the time of the year it occurred (flu season or non-flu season) or due to vaccines available on that day or due to the applicant's personal health situation (ie. pregnant so could not obtain vaccines) on the date you had your overseas medical exam, then you're fine. You will not have to comply with any further vaccines provided you filed AOS within one year of the original medical date. That vaccination record is frozen in time and can be used as your record of compliance of the medical requirements. 

Okay, I see. Yes, this is what I thought, too!

The only reason I was asking is because I was looking at the USCIS I posted earlier and I saw this:

Form I-693 Submitted to USCIS Before November 1, 2018

When did civil surgeon sign?

When was underlying benefit application filed with USCIS?

I-693 retains evidentiary

value through

No more than 1 year before I-693 submitted to USCIS

More than 60 days after civil surgeon signed the I-693

1 year from date applicant submitted I-693 to USCIS

No more than 60 days before underlying benefit application filed with USCIS

No more than 60 days after civil surgeon signed the I-693

2 years from date civil surgeon signed I-693

After the benefit application was filed with USCIS

Before the civil surgeon signed the I-693

2 years from date civil surgeon signed I-693

More than 1 year before I-693 submitted to USCIS

N/A – I-693 not valid at time applicant submits I-693 to USCIS

2 minutes ago, barashka said:

I-693.JPG

4. Validity Period of Form I-693 (Including Use of Prior Versions)

Evidentiary Value

A person seeking an immigration benefit and who is subject to the health-related grounds of inadmissibility must establish that he or she is not inadmissible on health-related grounds. [20] In general, those applying for immigration benefits while in the United States must use Form I-693 to show they are free from any conditions that would render them inadmissible under the health-related grounds. 

An officer may determine that the applicant has met the burden of proof required to establish that he or she is free from a medical condition that would render the applicant inadmissible on health-related grounds if all of the following criteria are met:

• A USCIS-designated civil surgeon performed the immigration medical examination in accordance with HHS regulations;

• The civil surgeon and the applicant properly completed the current version of Form I-693; [21] 

• The Form I-693 that the applicant submitted is signed by a civil surgeon no more than 60 days before the date the applicant filed an application for the underlying immigration benefit; [22] 

• The Form I-693 establishes that the applicant does not have a Class A medical condition and has complied with the vaccination requirements or is granted a waiver; [23] and

• USCIS issues a decision on the underlying immigration benefit application no more than 2 years after the date the civil surgeon signed Form I-693. [24] 

In general, if any one of the above criteria is not met, the applicant has not met the burden of proof required to establish that he or she is free of a medical condition that would render the applicant inadmissible to the United States on health-related grounds. In this case, the officer should follow standard operating procedures regarding issuance of a denial or an RFE or Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) to address the deficiency. 

Additionally, even if all of the above criteria are met, but the officer has reason to believe that the applicant’s medical condition has changed since submission of the Form I-693 such that the applicant’s admissibility could be affected, the officer, in his or her discretion, may request that the applicant submit a new Form I-693. 

Special rules may apply to certain foreign nationals who were examined overseas, including certain nonimmigrant fiancé(e)s or spouses of U.S. citizens (K visa), spouses of lawful permanent residents (V visa), refugees, and asylee dependents. Such foreign nationals usually do not need to repeat the full immigration medical exam in the United States for purposes of adjustment of status. [25] 

Generally, the only acceptable version of Form I-693 is the version in use at the time of the medical examination. [26] Prior versions of Form I-693 are generally not acceptable because they may lack necessary information. [27] 

Form I-693 Submitted to USCIS Before November 1, 2018

In 2018, USCIS revised its policy regarding the extent to which a Form I-693 retains its evidentiary value. This policy is effective November 1, 2018. Before November 1, 2018, the validity period policy provided Form I-693 retained its evidentiary value as long as it was submitted to USCIS within 1 year of the civil surgeon’s signature and USCIS issued a final decision on the underlying immigration benefit application within a year of the Form I-693’s submission to USCIS. This policy contained a maximum 2-year period during which Form I-693 retained its evidentiary value.

Due to increasing caseloads and more complex adjudications, USCIS observed an increasing number of cases where benefit applications could not be decided within 1 year from the date the Form I-693 was submitted. In these cases, USCIS would have to request a new Form I-693, further delaying the processing of the underlying application and inconveniencing the applicant. 

The new policy, effective November 1, 2018, addresses these issues by realigning the existing 2-year period (during which Form I-693 retains its evidentiary value) to require applicants to complete their immigration medical examination closer in time to the filing of the underlying benefit application. This revised policy is intended to reduce the need for USCIS to request an updated Form I-693, thereby streamlining case processing and minimizing inconveniences to applicants. 

Certain Form I-693 submitted to USCIS before November 1, 2018 may be subject to the previous validity period policy as noted in the section below. 

A completed Form I-693 submitted to USCIS before November 1, 2018 retains its evidentiary value to support a finding that an applicant is not inadmissible based on health-related grounds if it meets any of the following scenarios:

• The civil surgeon signs Form I-693 more than 60 days before the applicant files the underlying benefit application with USCIS, but the applicant submits Form I-693 to USCIS no more than 1 year after the civil surgeon signed Form I-693; and USCIS issues a decision on the underlying benefit application no more than 1 year after the date the applicant submitted Form I-693 to USCIS.

• The civil surgeon signs Form I-693 no more than 60 days before the applicant files the underlying benefit application with USCIS; and USCIS issues a decision on the underlying benefit application no more than 2 years after the date of the civil surgeon’s signature.

• The civil surgeon signs Form I-693, and the applicant submits Form I-693, after the applicant files the benefit application with USCIS; and USCIS issues a decision on the underlying benefit application no more than 2 years after the date of the civil surgeon’s signature.

In all cases, a Form I-693 submitted to USCIS more than 1 year after the date of the civil surgeon’s signature is insufficient for evidentiary purposes as of the time of its submission to USCIS. The table below illustrates these scenarios.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
8 hours ago, barashka said:

I am curious, why do you think you need I-693? Did you get a courtesy letter from USCIS requesting it? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

An overseas medical doesn't expire if you file for AOS within 1 year of the medical date. Which you did, so you're fine for now.

The I-693 on the other hand (when medical done within the US) expires 1 year from the date you filed for AOS (if AOS was filed for within 1 year from the date of the medical). This has nothing to do with your case as you already had an overseas medical. You also never had an I-693 (it's for medical within the US only, not used abroad) so whatever it says about expiration regarding that particular form has nothing to do with you and your case.

With that said, not every Immigration Officer knows USCIS' own rules and it has happened that K-1ers with an overseas medical marked "complete" have been asked for a new medical incorrectly.

This is what I recommend for you - if the DS-3025 is marked complete, do NOT spend any money on a I-693 or a new medical at this time. Your case can very well end up with an IO who knows what they're doing, meaning you would have spent all that money for nothing. You wait and see if they ask for it or not. Most likely they won't.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

3 minutes ago, Scandi said:

An overseas medical doesn't expire if you file for AOS within 1 year of the medical date. Which you did, so you're fine for now.

The I-693 on the other hand (when medical done within the US) expires 1 year from the date you filed for AOS (if AOS was filed for within 1 year from the date of the medical). This has nothing to do with your case as you already had an overseas medical. You also never had an I-693 (it's for medical within the US only, not used abroad) so whatever it says about expiration regarding that particular form has nothing to do with you and your case.

With that said, not every Immigration Officer knows USCIS' own rules and it has happened that K-1ers with an overseas medical marked "complete" have been asked for a new medical incorrectly.

This is what I recommend for you - if the DS-3025 is marked complete, do NOT spend any money on a I-693 or a new medical at this time. Your case can very well end up with an IO who knows what they're doing, meaning you would have spent all that money for nothing. You wait and see if they ask for it or not. Most likely they won't.

This is what I thought, as well. This table from the USCIS is what threw me off. Our case fit the first row so we were so confused. Thank you for explaining this in such a clear and concise manner!

I-693.JPG.0ad06be70ca10539f9249e509514a167.jpeg

7 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Yes, that same exact box was checked off on her DS-3025.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.