SJordanS

Types of Engagement Photos with K1 Petition

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

In the past several weeks a few people have been emailing me privately after reading of my threads on my ceremonial engagement photos concerns and my outcome.

Again this is about ceremonial engagements only. Basically I was reading so much on VJ on how many K1's were being denied over engagement ceremony photos and how USCIS can see it as being "too engaged"  but "not quite married"  for K1, that I feared the worst and believed the majority of VJ'rs here who told me to expect to get denied. I will tell you that religion and ceremonial beliefs of that religion will have alot to do with their decision. With the Muslim Community there is something called Kiteb el Kitab which is an Islamic pre-numptial marriage agreement by paper, before an Islamic Cleric, which stipulates what the responsibilities are for the groom also for the bride.  Rings get exchanged, etc. Sometimes followed by a party or a small gathering, or nothing at all, and of course PHOTOS. Most times the bride and groom do not consummate the marriage until a party is set and a more formal event is planned. Some, consider it a marriage period. IT DEPENDS.  Indian and Pakistanis can fall into that same category of Islamic ceremonial beliefs whether they are Muslim or not. 

Then there is Middle Eastern and Russian/Romanian Orthodox Christian engagement ceremonies where they can take place in a church with a ring exchange before a priest. It is also ceremonial. USCIS DO NOT SEE IT THE SAME. Many Christian engagement ceremonies, in or out of church, have been getting approved meanwhile Islamic ceremonies are not. KNOW THE DIFFERENCE first before sending off photos. 

My petition was approved. Many members, even senior members, believed it wouldn't. My lawyer had told me all along not to worry that they understood cultural beliefs more than us. He was right for me to not worry but Im also human. Anyhow, I hope this helps the next couple who looks for answers. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10685284_10203853223303551_1747007237_n.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
30 minutes ago, SJordanS said:

In the past several weeks a few people have been emailing me privately after reading of my threads on my ceremonial engagement photos concerns and my outcome.

Again this is about ceremonial engagements only. Basically I was reading so much on VJ on how many K1's were being denied over engagement ceremony photos and how USCIS can see it as being "too engaged"  but "not quite married"  for K1, that I feared the worst and believed the majority of VJ'rs here who told me to expect to get denied. I will tell you that religion and ceremonial beliefs of that religion will have alot to do with their decision. With the Muslim Community there is something called Kiteb el Kitab which is an Islamic pre-numptial marriage agreement by paper, before an Islamic Cleric, which stipulates what the responsibilities are for the groom also for the bride.  Rings get exchanged, etc. Sometimes followed by a party or a small gathering, or nothing at all, and of course PHOTOS. Most times the bride and groom do not consummate the marriage until a party is set and a more formal event is planned. Some, consider it a marriage period. IT DEPENDS.  Indian and Pakistanis can fall into that same category of Islamic ceremonial beliefs whether they are Muslim or not. 

Then there is Middle Eastern and Russian/Romanian Orthodox Christian engagement ceremonies where they can take place in a church with a ring exchange before a priest. It is also ceremonial. USCIS DO NOT SEE IT THE SAME. Many Christian engagement ceremonies, in or out of church, have been getting approved meanwhile Islamic ceremonies are not. KNOW THE DIFFERENCE first before sending off photos. 

My petition was approved. Many members, even senior members, believed it wouldn't. My lawyer had told me all along not to worry that they understood cultural beliefs more than us. He was right for me to not worry but Im also human. Anyhow, I hope this helps the next couple who looks for answers. 

• It is all about the probability of getting denied and very least, reducing the anxiety when there is a chance that a petition gets denied for something that can be prevented.  People could their petitions approved with wedding photos without registering to legalize their marriage but will yours? 
  • Has your spouse passed the interview with approved visa? Will the consulate have the same view as USCIS? 

Edited by VNN

29 minutes ago, VNN said:
  • It is all about the probability of getting denied and very least, reducing the anxiety when there is a chance that a petition gets denied for something that can be prevented.  People could their petitions approved with wedding photos without registering to legalize their marriage but will yours? 
  • Has your spouse passed the interview with approved visa? Will the consulate have the same view as USCIS? 

Agreed.  Most petitions are approved.  Visa approvals are a far different thing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

An approved I129-F petition is not an approved K-1 visa.  

Since USCIS has evidence of this engagement party, the embassy / consulate will too.  The K-1 is harder to get than an NOA2 of an I-129F.  

Hopefully it goes well for you.  

FWIW, I paid attention to visajourney and read the many horror stories from this website about people with approved petitions denied visas because the CO believed the couples were married.  

So at each of the three engagement parties we had in Myanmar, I refused certain poses and photos.  Visa approved and delivered in 6 working days.

Many people want the traditional wedding experience and a K-1.  The K-1 is incompatible with a traditional wedding experience.  It is about simple engagement dinners and quick court house / Vegas weddings (in counties that don’t take 3 months to produce a marriage cert) after POE to meet the deadlines for SSN, REAL ID, and AOS. Not exactly romantic.   

Timeline
13 hours ago, VNN said:

He is not my spouse. He is my fiance. As far as passing interview that a different forum and circumstance completely. I am less anxious with my engagement photos being sent to Embassy in Jordan as they are even more aware of cultural ceremonies out there. I was more anxious about USCIS. This post was mainly so others knew the probability of outcomes on ceremonial engagement photos with K1 and what may and may not fly with USCIS. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
30 minutes ago, SJordanS said:

He is not my spouse. He is my fiance. As far as passing interview that a different forum and circumstance completely. I am less anxious with my engagement photos being sent to Embassy in Jordan as they are even more aware of cultural ceremonies out there. I was more anxious about USCIS. This post was mainly so others knew the probability of outcomes on ceremonial engagement photos with K1 and what may and may not fly with USCIS. 

I understand your point.

Getting petitions passed USCIS quite easy unless petitioner committed some sexual crime. The hard part is the waiting time. I helped many people in my community petition for K-1/CR-1 and other family related types of visa. I also petitioned for my ex and my wife myself. All got their visas approved and just by following USCIS instructions closely.

Generally, USCIS does not need to know about customs & traditions or investigate too much, they only need to verify if a petition meets the requirements for the type of visa it is for.  USCIS does not grant visa. The majority of the time, petitions get rejected at USCIS because people do not follow the instructions.

Consulates, however, have strong knowledges about customs and traditions of a visa’s applicant. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, VNN said:

I understand your point.

Getting petitions passed USCIS quite easy unless petitioner committed some sexual crime. The hard part is the waiting time. I helped many people in my community petition for K-1/CR-1 and other family related types of visa. I also petitioned for my ex and my wife myself. All got their visas approved and just by following USCIS instructions closely.

Generally, USCIS does not need to know about customs & traditions or investigate too much, they only need to verify if a petition meets the requirements for the type of visa it is for.  USCIS does not grant visa. The majority of the time, petitions get rejected at USCIS because people do not follow the instructions.

Consulates, however, have strong knowledges about customs and traditions of a visa’s applicant. 

Correct everything you wrote is 100%. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Post back if you get denied or accepted please. Hopefully you get accepted, but why would you submit anything that could possibly hurt you more than help? Just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea. To get accepted for noa2 of i-129f you dont even need photos that is the easy part. Until you have visa in hand you have nothing at all.

Timeline
On 5/15/2019 at 4:10 PM, dxec said:

Post back if you get denied or accepted please. Hopefully you get accepted, but why would you submit anything that could possibly hurt you more than help? Just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea. To get accepted for noa2 of i-129f you dont even need photos that is the easy part. Until you have visa in hand you have nothing at all.

So after getting scared from members in VJ after reading something about engagement photos, we contacted the priest as well as an immigration office in Jordan. They told me not to worry. The priest of our church, which is well known in amman, included a letter of engagement and culturally for us this is not at all unusual. He said it was not the first time they will see a priest signing a letter for an engagement for USCIS. Not all photos were sent. Just a few one including us with friends, family and priest. In jordan, when christian people want to have an engagement and invite friends and family, sometimes their apartments are too small. So they opt for the church. Some opt for the church just for sentimental reasons. Very seldom has this been an issue according to priest as he was accustomed to writing the letter for USCIS, etc. Im hoping so but we have enough of other things to help vouch for us. I will circle back afterwards  for sure in hopes to help other christian middle eastern people who may do the same thing. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.