LiamT7

Visa Package Has Slight Tear

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I just got my visa today, and on the visa package, there is a very slight tear. Only enough to get one finger in.

Will this cause a problem?

Picture here:

20190513_194605.jpg

No, you'll be absolutely fine. Mine already had several tears which either the embassy or courier had covered with tape when mine arrived. I bought a large bubble wrap envelope to transport mine in. The envelopes they provide are a bit cheap and fragile.

Timeline

I have just found the the Embassy website the following:

"If the visa package arrives with minor nicks or tears, you can apply a small amount of clear tape and explain to the immigration officials that the envelope was damaged in transit. If you have accidentally opened the envelope or it is extensively damaged, please contact us to request that the visa package be resealed. When you fill out a contact form to request resealing, please include your proposed date of travel."

Sounds like it should not be a problem :) 

Just now, coltr said:

No, you'll be absolutely fine. Mine already had several tears which either the embassy or courier had covered with tape when mine arrived. I bought a large bubble wrap envelope to transport mine in. The envelopes they provide are a bit cheap and fragile.

Thank you, I just read that on the embassy website, just wanted to make sure!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

1 minute ago, coltr said:

I agree. Put it in some kind of protective package. You have enough to worry about (like checking it's still in your hand luggage about 50 times on the plane 🙄 ) without the added concern of whether you'll accidentally tear it some more.  

If the damage isn't such that one would wonder if documents were added/removed/tampered with, then it's not an issue. That looks fine.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Also, I'm sure this is completely a one-off, but keep an eye on it when going through security at the airport. The CD in the envelope raised suspicion at Gatwick (it apparently looked like something else) and they pulled my packet aside and said that they wanted to open it. I obviously went 'Noooooo! For the love of god please do not open that envelope!'. As soon as I explained that it was a CD from my x-rays, the guy seemed to have an a-ha moment and let it through.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Just now, coltr said:

Also, I'm sure this is completely a one-off, but keep an eye on it when going through security at the airport. The CD in the envelope raised suspicion at Gatwick (it apparently looked like something else) and they pulled my packet aside and said that they wanted to open it. I obviously went 'Noooooo! For the love of god please do not open that envelope!'. As soon as I explained that it was a CD from my x-rays, the guy seemed to have an a-ha moment and let it through.

It's unusual that your CD was in with your immigration file.  Most are handed the cd when they check in at the first window in London.  If your medical was not at the embassy that day, they should have put it in the outer wrapper with the passport. 

The CD is for personal use (including to toss away).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

I’d packed everything together in a bubble wrap envelope but they wanted to tear the whole thing apart because it looked suspicious on the x-ray. Apparently it was down to the CD.

1 hour ago, LiamT7 said:

Hi,

I just got my visa today, and on the visa package, there is a very slight tear. Only enough to get one finger in.

Will this cause a problem?

Picture here:

20190513_194605.jpg

Mine had a very similar sized tear, which was done by my own OTT self continuously checking it was in my hand luggage! I kept it in the plastic envelope with which I collected it in. But they didn't even look at the envelope as such just opened it straight away! 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Timeline
1 minute ago, brackpool13 said:

OP - Can I just ask what the order of status updates was on CEAC for you?

Does it go straight from Administrative Processing > Issued?

Thank you :)

Mine went into Administrative Processing the day after my interview, and then about a day and a half later, it went to issued. It was then dispatched the next day!  Hope this helps :) 

Timeline
Just now, LiamT7 said:

Mine went into Administrative Processing the day after my interview, and then about a day and a half later, it went to issued. It was then dispatched the next day!  Hope this helps :) 

Perfect, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.