13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone! 

So I finally got a date for the AOS interview but we have a problem for the location of the USCIS. It’s 3 hrs away from us. Is it possible to request to have something closer? Or that’ll take longer? 

Thank you! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, marvinjane said:

Hi everyone! 

So I finally got a date for the AOS interview but we have a problem for the location of the USCIS. It’s 3 hrs away from us. Is it possible to request to have something closer? Or that’ll take longer? 

Thank you! 

What office is closer?  If you do a zip code search,  every zip code is assigned to a particular office,  so unless they made a mistake 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are you sure there is an office closer?  It’s not unusual that some folks have to travel quite a distance to get to an office.  

Back in January when there was some pretty brutal snowstorms in the north, I read a post on here of someone who drove 6 hours a night or two before their interview, only to have it canceled because the office closed for weather.

You can of course always try and see if there’s something closer, and if they will move it, but failing that, buckle up for the ride and drive safely :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My local office is also 3hrs away. What I always do is, request for a later time so I will have time to get ready and drive

K1 Visa:

April 8, 2014 : Got engaged! :luv:
K1 Visa:

October 31, 2014 : I-129f mailed to Dallas Lockbox

November 4, 2014 : NOA1 in text/email (TSC)

November 14, 2014 : NOA1 hardcopy received

April 6, 2015 : NOA2!!!!!! :dancing::luv: (Approved date was 4th of April; 5 months from NOA1)

April 10, 2015 : Sent to NVC

April 14, 2015 : NOA2 hardcopy received

April 23, 2015 : Called NVC and got case #JAK

April 25, 2015 : CEAC status 'In Transit'

May 5, 2015 : - NVC Letter received

- CEAC status 'Ready'

May 11, 2015 : Packet 3 received

May 20, 2015 : Medical

May 29, 2015 : Packet 3 sent

June 18, 2015 : Interview! (Visa Approved!! ) ~ No RFE

July 4, 2015 : POE Chicago, IL

(L) September 25, 2015 : Wedding Day (L)

AOS:

Feb 21, 2016 : Applications sent (I-485 and I-765)

March 6, 2016 : Text notification received, Online status updated Case was received on Feb 25, 2016

March 10, 2016 : NOA1 in mail

March 18, 2016 : Biometric Appointment letters received in mail

March 31, 2016 : Biometrics done!

April 21, 2016 : EAD Approved (online status)

April 26, 2016 : EAD Approval letter received in mail

April 28, 2016 : EAD Card received in mail

May 5, 2016 : Applied for SSN

May 9, 2016 : AOS approved! (74 days from NOA1) ~ No RFE, No Interview

May 12, 2016 : status changed to GC was mailed!

May 14, 2016 : Green card received in mail

D9n0p7.png

1 hour ago, marvinjane said:

Hi everyone! 

Thank you! 

What office have they given you? I see you’re in NYC and there are field offices located around depending on where abouts you live. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Nicola and Jordan said:

What office have they given you? I see you’re in NYC and there are field offices located around depending on where abouts you live. 

29 minutes ago, Nicola and Jordan said:

The one in holtsville. It’s 3 hrs by public transportation. Husband and I don’t drive. 

9 minutes ago, marvinjane said:

The one in holtsville. It’s 3 hrs by public transportation. Husband and I don’t drive. 

Are you in the city? I’m in Manhattan and I can see my field office is downtown Manhattan 

3 hours ago, marvinjane said:

Hi everyone! 

Thank you! 

Why do they want to do a Interview?  My wife came from Philippines a few years ago on a K1. We never did any interviews for her AOS, and never had to do a interview to get a Permanent 10 year GreenCard.

You just recently did the K1 interview in Manila, seems silly to have to do a AOS interview

ChickBoy

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Falcon Cara said:

Why do they want to do a Interview?  My wife came from Philippines a few years ago on a K1. We never did any interviews for her AOS, and never had to do a interview to get a Permanent 10 year GreenCard.

You just recently did the K1 interview in Manila, seems silly to have to do a AOS interview

USCIS wants an interview and because they are USCIS, they will get their interview. You can call it what you like. Keep in mind, it is their ball field, their game, their ball, and their rules. Was the interview in Manila with DOS or USCIS? I suspect that it may have been with a DOS embassy official.

We had our AOS interview at the Seattle USCIS Field Office approximately five months after having the K1/K2 visa interview at the US DOS consulate in Guangzhou, China. We really didn't have any choice. you want to adjust your status and get your 2-year conditional Green Card, or not? Now we were waived through and didn't have a ROC interview a few years later.

I would suggest, like others have mentioned, go to the USCIS Field Office location and stay at a hotel, the night before, and have your AOS interview. To try to mess with it and to try move it to another location, generally can cause problems. The scheduling minions at the USCIS Appointment Support Center (ASC) may be able to change the location and schedule, but you will be at their mercy.

YMMV.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

8 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

Are you sure there is an office closer?  It’s not unusual that some folks have to travel quite a distance to get to an office.  

Back in January when there was some pretty brutal snowstorms in the north, I read a post on here of someone who drove 6 hours a night or two before their interview, only to have it canceled because the office closed for weather.

You can of course always try and see if there’s something closer, and if they will move it, but failing that, buckle up for the ride and drive safely :)

We will have a 2h 57min drive to be exact. And biometrics, even though it was on a different office, it was 3h drive too. Maybe not that uncommon.

4 hours ago, Falcon Cara said:

USCIS is interviewing everyone for aos since last year

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.