The Rock ll

IRS Married filing separate issue on return

12 posts in this topic

Hi VJ members

i filled my 2018 tax return in First week of March 2019, since it was first time filing MFS...without my spouse SSN or ITIN...I had mail my return with the amount I owed attached as an check ..IRS received it and few days later check was chased...NO Problem..

but things started to get worse when I didn’t see any return processed on my online account after 6 weeks...as per noted on IRS website...so I called the IRS and I was completely blown away by the answer IRS gave me that they see my Payment in there system but no return was ever reported...it is 10 weeks now and I been calling every day IRS and is getting same answer...

so I decided to go to my CPA and find out solution...he said most probably when they saw your return as MFS without Spouse SSN they must have treated it as incomplete and just lost it some where...now he’s doing my return as Single and doing it an electronic return ...

i just wanna find out from others who have submitted MFS returns and got processed in timely manner....cuz this is just stressing me so much as I need my Transcripts to show it to NVC ...Any suggestions will be appreciated...

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
40 minutes ago, The Rock ll said:

so I decided to go to my CPA and find out solution...he said most probably when they saw your return as MFS without Spouse SSN they must have treated it as incomplete and just lost it some where...now he’s doing my return as Single and doing it an electronic return ...

Filing your return as "single" when you are actually married is going to raise issues for you/your spouse later.  My advice is not to do this.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
57 minutes ago, The Rock ll said:

Hi VJ members

i filled my 2018 tax return in First week of March 2019, since it was first time filing MFS...without my spouse SSN or ITIN...I had mail my return with the amount I owed attached as an check ..IRS received it and few days later check was chased...NO Problem..

but things started to get worse when I didn’t see any return processed on my online account after 6 weeks...as per noted on IRS website...so I called the IRS and I was completely blown away by the answer IRS gave me that they see my Payment in there system but no return was ever reported...it is 10 weeks now and I been calling every day IRS and is getting same answer...

i just wanna find out from others who have submitted MFS returns and got processed in timely manner....cuz this is just stressing me so much as I need my Transcripts to show it to NVC ...Any suggestions will be appreciated...

thanks

when you filed mfs in the SSN field did you write in these letters "NRA" if not then redo the tax return MFS and write in NRA in your spouse ssn spot, this will indicate your spouse is a non registered alien meaning out of the country.

you can not file single when you are married.

Do not use the “services” of that CPA again! You cannot file as single if you are married.  

*~*~*moved from “IR-1/CR-1 spouse visa progress reports” to “taxes and finances”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

52 minutes ago, JFH said:

Do not use the “services” of that CPA again! You cannot file as single if you are married.  

*~*~*moved from “IR-1/CR-1 spouse visa progress reports” to “taxes and finances”*~*~*

Believe me I did write NRA there and when IRS processed my Check and update my account they converted it to Single status and the account Transcript show single only not MFS...callled IRS and confirmed that if filing MFS and writing NRA on Spouse SSN has anything to do with the return not processed so far..there answer was it could be ..all I wanna find out is if anybody did this type of return where it was MFS and went through and how long did it took IRS to process this ...I am so much exhausted on this issue...CPA has a ample experience and he told me when I filed return with him this type as MFS ,he said IRS will automatically change status to Single when they see your spouse has no SSN..

Timeline
58 minutes ago, The Rock ll said:

CPA has a ample experience and he told me when I filed return with him this type as MFS ,he said IRS will automatically change status to Single when they see your spouse has no SSN..

First I've ever heard of that, but CPA also does not face any consequence either in how it may affect you later on by purposefully filing as single when you are in fact married.

An incorrect tax return should not affect you at the NVC stage, and the tax filing status is not a sole reason for denial, however it can be a factor when the CO is adjudicating whether the marriage is bonafide, based on the totality of other evidence presented, when deciding whether to approve/deny the visa.  Not sure what the country of origin is, but if going through a hard embassy and/or have other red flags it might raise some eyebrows with a CO.

If you are legally married, then your options are to file as Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately, or Head of Household (if you have dependents).  Filing as "Single" is not the wisest choice, however it is your choice in the end of course...let the chips fall where they may, and all that, as the saying goes.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Going through said:

First I've ever heard of that, but CPA also does not face any consequence either in how it may affect you later on by purposefully filing as single when you are in fact married.

An incorrect tax return should not affect you at the NVC stage, and the tax filing status is not a sole reason for denial, however it can be a factor when the CO is adjudicating whether the marriage is bonafide, based on the totality of other evidence presented, when deciding whether to approve/deny the visa.  Not sure what the country of origin is, but if going through a hard embassy and/or have other red flags it might raise some eyebrows with a CO.

If you are legally married, then your options are to file as Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately, or Head of Household (if you have dependents).  Filing as "Single" is not the wisest choice, however it is your choice in the end of course...let the chips fall where they may, and all that, as the saying goes.

We went through a similar problem with our first year filing here .. both needing to file a dual status return .. our highly paid highly experienced CPA totally messed up the return ... used wrong forms , using the foreign exchange dollar calculation back to front .. it goes on ..

yes IRS will flag it as incorrect and move it to another desk. It will work through the system. You will get a letter from them ,., we got ours in July .. and you will then need to file an amended return to correct it.

Our CPA initially refused any more services under the initial fee, then redid the return .. more incorrect than the first one .. so we chose to pay another agent to fix it. Cost us huge dollars but it’s done and correct.

Down loaded our  correct transcript and received our $4000 refund in February the next year 

Edited by Lil bear

8 minutes ago, Going through said:

I understand your concern...IRS is the main demon here...they received my return and 10 weeks later I am calling every day and I be hold hrs to speak to some 1 ...even local IRS office has no clue about it ...rather to send it again at same PO Box...which I highly doubt will effect...I will be at the interview with my spouse and will be caring the original 1040 I send IRS that has MFS ...will show account Transcripts that on such date IRS received my return and it was just lost and IRS changed the status to Single not Me...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 5/10/2019 at 4:35 AM, The Rock ll said:

Hi VJ members

thanks

Find a new CPA fast! You must file MFS or MFJ if you are married. CPA should know that. If you file as single, you'll just have to amend it later. I would resend a copy of the return you already sent with a cover letter explaining the situation.

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 5/10/2019 at 7:08 AM, The Rock ll said:

Believe me I did write NRA there and when IRS processed my Check and update my account they converted it to Single status and the account Transcript show single only not MFS...callled IRS and confirmed that if filing MFS and writing NRA on Spouse SSN has anything to do with the return not processed so far..there answer was it could be ..all I wanna find out is if anybody did this type of return where it was MFS and went through and how long did it took IRS to process this ...I am so much exhausted on this issue...CPA has a ample experience and he told me when I filed return with him this type as MFS ,he said IRS will automatically change status to Single when they see your spouse has no SSN..

In your first post you said IRS has no record of your return, except for the checks they cashed, but now you are saying they actually do have a record for which you were able to obtain a transcript where the IRS changed your status to single? You've got to clear up these discrepancies in your statements so that we can better help you.

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Timeline
On 5/10/2019 at 9:54 AM, The Rock ll said:

will show account Transcripts that on such date IRS received my return and it was just lost and IRS changed the status to Single not Me...

Not sure what type evidence can prove someone lost something?  Won't be an issue at the NVC stage anyhow.

From your statement earlier, though, sounds like it wasn't lost---they just haven't processed it yet.

Filing single may or may not raise issues later on with the CO when looking at the totality of evidence shown to approve the visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.