RedroseMT

Sanctuary cities

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

I have just discussed a bit about these cities with my husband and some neighbors and they aren’t really sure who is accepted to live there ( only illegal immigrants or just everyone) and what is the real reason of their existence? 

So if you know , please explain. Thank you ! 

20 minutes ago, RedroseMT said:

I have just discussed a bit about these cities with my husband and some neighbors and they aren’t really sure who is accepted to live there ( only illegal immigrants or just everyone) and what is the real reason of their existence? 

So if you know , please explain. Thank you ! 

It isn't like that at all. Sanctuary cities is the term for cities that pretty much pro-illegal immigrants and want to provide some sort of "sanctuary" against deportation. This means that any city/county/state that apprehends a illegal immigrant for committing a crime or even after they have been convicted of a crime they will not turn them over to ICE or honor a detainer request from ICE. These cities also are helping pay for legal representation for these illegal people to avoid deportation out of the taxes they take from the rest of us. 

After living in a Sanctuary city/county/state I can tell you that they openly look down on Legal Immigrants and favor Illegals over actual Legal immigrants. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

It isn't like that at all. Sanctuary cities is the term for cities that pretty much pro-illegal immigrants and want to provide some sort of "sanctuary" against deportation. This means that any city/county/state that apprehends a illegal immigrant for committing a crime or even after they have been convicted of a crime they will not turn them over to ICE or honor a detainer request from ICE. These cities also are helping pay for legal representation for these illegal people to avoid deportation out of the taxes they take from the rest of us. 

After living in a Sanctuary city/county/state I can tell you that they openly look down on Legal Immigrants and favor Illegals over actual Legal immigrants. 

Thank you ! 

What are your thoughts about that? 

4 hours ago, RedroseMT said:

Thank you ! 

What are your thoughts about that? 

Well I can tell you after living in a Sanctuary city, county, and state that I nor my wife were very happy about it. I was very displeased when the local agencies would actively go out of their way to support illegal immigrants and their children while not caring about Legal Immigrants or their families. Also they would rather release a violent often multiple convicted felon out on to the street than have ICE come pick him up to be deported. The former Governor of CA actually commuted two guys convicted of murder sentence to a less sentence in hopes for them not to be deported. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Timeline
2 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Well I can tell you after living in a Sanctuary city, county, and state that I nor my wife were very happy about it. I was very displeased when the local agencies would actively go out of their way to support illegal immigrants and their children while not caring about Legal Immigrants or their families. Also they would rather release a violent often multiple convicted felon out on to the street than have ICE come pick him up to be deported. Actually the former Governor of CA actually commuted two guys convicted of murder sentence to a less sentence in hopes for them not to be deported. 

I am so sorry. I just wonder what makes local politicians think this is a right thing to do . 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
9 minutes ago, RedroseMT said:

I am so sorry. I just wonder what makes local politicians think this is a right thing to do . 

Power

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
46 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Power

In my eyes they are all above bad , will not mention what I actually think about those who live there and the others who allowed them . 

I just hope there will be some way to stop that as this is total degradation of that part of society. 

Timeline

I would think it is highly unlikely, well I can not think of a combination of circumstances when it could happen.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I would think it is highly unlikely, well I can not think of a combination of circumstances when it could happen.

I agree with you ( unfortunately) . 

It is more then ironic situation that ( an example ) my neighbor’s young wife from Europe, honest woman by all means might be in danger of deportation if not fill AOS right after the marriage, but multiple felon , an illegal alien is not in danger at all. Just because the young wife lives here in Montana, the felon enjoys his life in sanctuary city thinking of more criminal activity.

How great is that for this country? And totally unfair for tax payers and homey legal immigrants. Makes me sad .

Timeline
1 minute ago, RedroseMT said:

I agree with you ( unfortunately) . 

It is more then ironic situation that ( an example ) my neighbor’s young wife from Europe, honest woman by all means might be in danger of deportation if not fill AOS right after the marriage, but multiple felon , an illegal alien is not in danger at all. Just because the young wife lives here in Montana, the felon enjoys his life in sanctuary city thinking of more criminal activity.

How great is that for this country? And totally unfair for tax payers and homey legal immigrants. Makes me sad .

Even in Montana the danger in that case is minuscule.

On 5/9/2019 at 5:01 PM, RedroseMT said:

It is more then ironic situation that ( an example ) my neighbor’s young wife from Europe, honest woman by all means might be in danger of deportation if not fill AOS right after the marriage, but multiple felon , an illegal alien is not in danger at all.

This sounds a lot like internet rumors. Seattle is a sanctuary city and although I don’t live in Seattle (150 miles away), it’s the main city here and constantly on our local news so I have some idea of what’s happening there. When it comes to felonies, the Seattle sanctuary city provisions do not apply. And that’s the case for some other sanctuary cities also. But if you have been convicted of a felony and are sitting in prison ICE have plenty of time to find you when your sentence is done anyway. Sanctuary cities do not stop federal agents from acting, and if ICE come looking for you in Seattle that doesn’t mean they can’t take you, it just means Seattle police do not use their resources to deal with immigration concerns and will not ask your immigration status. They will focus on the matter for which you have been arrested. So these stories of people with multiple felonies being “allowed” to walk free must be taken with a pinch of salt. 

My thoughts on it are that people who go around committing crimes whilst also here illegally will eventually get what’s coming to them. There’s only so long you can hide. Give them enough rope to hang themselves... 

As for your friend, if she’s in legal status she doesn’t have to file the AOS “immediately after marriage”. If she came on a K-1 she’s here legally until her I-94 expires. Even if she didn’t get married she can still stay legally for the 90 days. If she’s adjusting from a tourist visa (and ill not go into too much detail on my thoughts on that) she’s in legal status until her I-94 expires. If you’re saying she’s got to file AOS “immediately” or face deportation because she’s out of status then she’s no different from any other illegal here. Except that when she does file AOS her overstay will be forgiven as she is the spouse of a USC. A “sanctuary status”, if you will. Now there’s the irony! The people who are so upset about other people in “sanctuary cities” are benefiting from a “sanctuary status” that prevents them from being deported. I often find that those that came here through an unorthodox path (AOS from tourist, for example) are the most vocal about what’s wrong with immigration here. I work with a woman who AOSed from B-2 (and arrived here with every intention of doing so because the “K-1 process is too (removed) long”) and my goodness does she have a beef with those jumping the southern border. 

And we all know that ICE takes ages to act. If you go out of status Monday, they won’t be knocking at your door Tuesday. 

Edited by Ontarkie
bypassing language filter

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
1 hour ago, JFH said:

This sounds a lot like internet rumors. Seattle is a sanctuary city and although I don’t live in Seattle (150 miles away), it’s the main city here and constantly on our local news so I have some idea of what’s happening there. When it comes to felonies, the Seattle sanctuary city provisions do not apply. And that’s the case for some other sanctuary cities also. But if you have been convicted of a felony and are sitting in prison ICE have plenty of time to find you when your sentence is done anyway. Sanctuary cities do not stop federal agents from acting, and if ICE come looking for you in Seattle that doesn’t mean they can’t take you, it just means Seattle police do not use their resources to deal with immigration concerns and will not ask your immigration status. They will focus on the matter for which you have been arrested. So these stories of people with multiple felonies being “allowed” to walk free must be taken with a pinch of salt. 

My thoughts on it are that people who go around committing crimes whilst also here illegally will eventually get what’s coming to them. There’s only so long you can hide. Give them enough rope to hang themselves... 

As for your friend, if she’s in legal status she doesn’t have to file the AOS “immediately after marriage”. If she came on a K-1 she’s here legally until her I-94 expires. Even if she didn’t get married she can still stay legally for the 90 days. If she’s adjusting from a tourist visa (and ill not go into too much detail on my thoughts on that) she’s in legal status until her I-94 expires. If you’re saying she’s got to file AOS “immediately” or face deportation because she’s out of status then she’s no different from any other illegal here. Except that when she does file AOS her overstay will be forgiven as she is the spouse of a USC. A “sanctuary status”, if you will. Now there’s the irony! The people who are so upset about other people in “sanctuary cities” are benefiting from a “sanctuary status” that prevents them from being deported. I often find that those that came here through an unorthodox path (AOS from tourist, for example) are the most vocal about what’s wrong with immigration here. I work with a woman who AOSed from B-2 (and arrived here with every intention of doing so because the “K-1 process is too f...ing long”) and my goodness does she have a beef with those jumping the southern border. 

And we all know that ICE takes ages to act. If you go out of status Monday, they won’t be knocking at your door Tuesday. 

Thank you for your clarification. No my friend was just an example to show how paradoxical situations could occur- don’t have any imminent friend here . 

I don’t think that people are upset , more surprised as in my case and my neighbors ( all USC) case. All of us here trying to do things legally ( yes even those from B2 , as it is still not against the law) while the others just “ jump over the fence “ or simply overstay their visa and “ here I am , I will be safe here for the rest of my life, no need to do AOS and waste my time and money “. As it still looks like that . About felons I really hope you are right . Maybe I sound bitter but this is not the case , just the way how I understand that . Every USC I have talked about this topic thinks that those cities need to be banned all over the country and this illegals need to be deported. But of course that is impossible to happen. So I think that USCs are more concerned about it then immigrants who are doing things lawfully. 

Edited by RedroseMT

I live in a Sanctuary city, I feel like there is a lot of grey area when it comes to immigration. Some people come in illegally but benefit the country, they pay taxes, and are generally good people. Then there are also legal immigrants who have technically done everything by the book but their whole intent was to for a green card, not love. Even on here there are plenty of couples where its an older US citizen with a very young foreign wife. Is it my place to judge if its real love, or just a easy way to a better life? no, but occasionally we need to take of the rose tinted glasses and realize we dont know the exact reason, or struggles others go through.

TIMELINE:

May 22 2018              I-129F Filed
May 30 2018              I-129F NOA1 
Nov. 07 2018              I-129F NOA2
Nov. 21 2018              Case received by NVC

Dec. 04 2018              Case # Assigned

Dec. 11 2018              Visa Application in Transit to Manila Embassy 📭

Dec. 13 2018              Visa Application set to READY 📬

Dec. 27 2018              Interview Date US Embassy - Read Review Here

Jan. 05 2019              Visa on hand

Jan. 16 2019              US Entry (San Francisco POE) - Read Review Here

Feb. 11 2019              Marriage 👰🤵

Mar. 12 2019              AOS mailed

Mar. 14 2019              AOS delivered to USCIS Chicago

Mar. 19 2019              AOS NOA

Apr. 09 2019               Biometrics done (Status stayed as "Fingerprint fee received" for 4 months

Aug. 09 2019              Interview Ready to be Scheduled
Oct. 10 2019               EAD and AP (approved after 212 days)

Oct. 18 2019               EAD/AP Combo card received

Feb. 20 2020              GC Interview, no same day result, case in review (SF Field Office) - Read Review Here

Feb. 21 2020              (next day) Status changed to New card is being produced!

Feb. 10 2022              Mailed I-751 ROC

Feb. 11 2022              I-751 date filed

Feb. 14 2022              NOA1 (WAC)

Jul. 13 2022               NOA2- biometric appointment waived, no refund for fee collected, old biometrics will  be reused

Jul. 14 2022               Case Status: 4 "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken"

Dec. 26 2022             Filed N-400 online, NOA and Biometrics reuse same date

Mar. 20 2023             NOA3- 48 month GC extension from date of expiration

Oct. 18 2023              Case status: I-751 ROC transferred to another office

Oct. 19 2023              Case status: "We transferred your Form I751 yo another USCIS office that now has jurisdiction over your case"

Oct. 21 2023              Case status: "New Card Is Being Produced"

Oct. 23 2023              N-400 Interview was scheduled

Oct. 24 2023              Case status: "We approved your Form I-751"

Oct. 25 2023              Case status: "Card was mailed to me"

Timeline
57 minutes ago, confusedshoes said:

I live in a Sanctuary city, I feel like there is a lot of grey area when it comes to immigration. Some people come in illegally but benefit the country, they pay taxes, and are generally good people. Then there are also legal immigrants who have technically done everything by the book but their whole intent was to for a green card, not love. Even on here there are plenty of couples where its an older US citizen with a very young foreign wife. Is it my place to judge if its real love, or just a easy way to a better life? no, but occasionally we need to take of the rose tinted glasses and realize we dont know the exact reason, or struggles others go through.

Agree with you and thank you for your comment. How to pay the taxes if they are illegal? Do they steal someone’s SSN or have a fake one ? 

Edited by RedroseMT

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:43 PM, RedroseMT said:

Agree with you and thank you for your comment. How to pay the taxes if they are illegal? Do they steal someone’s SSN or have a fake one ? 

Both, but other times they have a ITIN.