Rrrr

Mother's last name

17 posts in this topic

Timeline

Please help with the issue. When we were filling in I -129f, we used rapid visa services. They told us to use beneficiary mother's maiden name in the information of the beneficiary parents. So we did it. Now we are filling in ds 160 and we don't know if we have to use married name of her mother or again maiden one. If we use married one, it will not match with what was on the I 129f form. If we use maiden name, it won't match with the beneficiary birth certificate. Because there are her parents with their married names. Please advise what name to use? Is it a big issue?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

which name is on her birth?

i would still use both

only because her mother's married name would be the one on her passport in case she ever wants to visit

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kristina0394 said:

On my beneficiary birth certificate her mother is with her married name. 

then i would definitely include it 

don't forget all this goes into a computer and if the mother wants to visit ever ,  the names should match 

this is why i dislike rapid visa 

Edited by adil-rafa

Timeline
59 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

don't forget all this goes into a computer and if the mother wants to visit ever ,  the names should match 

I am planning on writing only her mom's married name in the ds 160 because that way it will match with my fiancee birth certificate. Is it right approach?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If a form wants your mother's maiden name (or her name at birth), it will say so explicitly (I don't know exactly what was on the DS-160, because Anastasia filled that out herself). Otherwise, use her current legal name.

Also, when you get to the US, be prepared for government officials to be a little confused by Russian naming conventions; we had to explain why Anastasia was -ova and her dad was -ov to both the social security administration and the county clerk's office where we married.

Edited by DaveAndAnastasia
K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
10 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

this is why i dislike rapid visa 

It never occurred to me until now that my birth certificate bears my mom's  (then) married name and in I-129F and DS-160 we used her current (aka maiden) name because she had divorced my father long ago. I don't remember that DS-160 could ask for applicant mother's maiden name and surely does not provide this "other names used" option for parents. Therefore in my case there is no way these two names can match but if my mom wants to visit she will apply in her current name, which is not an issue, and if she will apply to immigrate, she will present the whole bunch of documentary evidence of maternity and name change.

Timeline
11 hours ago, Kristina0394 said:

I am planning on writing only her mom's married name in the ds 160 because that way it will match with my fiancee birth certificate. Is it right approach?

The approach is correct but not the idea behind it. DS-160 wants the name the mom goes by right now, because there is a question as to whether or not this mom is in the US right now. Mom's maiden name comes into the picture only when and if she herself files a visa application or becomes a Beneficiary

Timeline
15 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

If a form wants your mother's maiden name (or her name at birth), it will say so explicitly (I don't know exactly what was on the DS-160, because Anastasia filled that out herself). Otherwise, use her current legal name.

We used my mother's maiden name for DS 160 because Rapid visa insisted and convinced that they want maiden name even though it does not specify that there. They told, "all government forms want maiden names of women". Also, we previously used my mother's maiden name in I-129f and if we would have used married one on DS 160, forms would not match. I hope that if USCIS said us no RFE and had no problems with that even seeing that my mother is Romanova and I myself am Astakhova, there should not be a problem. At worst I will take my mother's marriage certificate where it shows she used to be Romanova before marriage. I am confused and do not feel safe, but we paid money to Rapid visa so I am expecting that they know what they advise. After all, it is not their first time to work with Russia.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Kristina0394 said:

We used my mother's maiden name for DS 160 because Rapid visa insisted and convinced that they want maiden name even though it does not specify that there. They told, "all government forms want maiden names of women". Also, we previously used my mother's maiden name in I-129f and if we would have used married one on DS 160, forms would not match. I hope that if USCIS said us no RFE and had no problems with that even seeing that my mother is Romanova and I myself am Astakhova, there should not be a problem. At worst I will take my mother's marriage certificate where it shows she used to be Romanova before marriage. I am confused and do not feel safe, but we paid money to Rapid visa so I am expecting that they know what they advise. After all, it is not their first time to work with Russia.

Not to make you feel even more uncomfortable, I-129F is the Petitioner's responsibility and its adjudication doesn't go that deep, being mostly focused on the Petitioner and overall eligibility of the Beneficiary. To the contrary, DS-160 and the interview are focused on the Beneficiary and are sole responsibility of the Beneficiary, that is what the checked remark before signing stands for and that is what the oath is for. The only party that bears no responsibility whatever  (document vise) is Rapid visa. Their statement sounds totally ridiculous and is definitely false. The issue itself is not that material, however this is only the beginning of the journey and whichever decision is made at this stage must be adhered to later on, by the Beneficiary and by the mother, should she happen to get in contact with US authorities for her own reasons. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, HP+IC said:

Not to make you feel even more uncomfortable, I-129F is the Petitioner's responsibility and its adjudication doesn't go that deep, being mostly focused on the Petitioner and overall eligibility of the Beneficiary. To the contrary, DS-160 and the interview are focused on the Beneficiary and are sole responsibility of the Beneficiary, that is what the checked remark before signing stands for and that is what the oath is for. The only party that bears no responsibility whatever  (document vise) is Rapid visa. Their statement sounds totally ridiculous and is definitely false. The issue itself is not that material, however this is only the beginning of the journey and whichever decision is made at this stage must be adhered to later on, by the Beneficiary and by the mother, should she happen to get in contact with US authorities for her own reasons. 

I think if it would be really that bad with rapid visa, they will not be working at all because they would be constantly taken to courts.

Timeline

Rapid Visa is not wrong in a sense that a lot of forms in the US explicitly ask for Mother's maiden (birth) name. That was true when apply for SSN and also true for the marriage license. But, as Dave pointed out, those forms very explicitly state "Maiden" name. We used my then fiancee Mother marrier name for both I-129F and DS-160. I doubt ultimately it would matter. At least not for the purposes of your K-1 approval.

• 4 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

How did it turn out? Which name did you use on ds160? My fiance and I are at this step now. Used Rapid Visa and they said to use maiden name. Did it cause any issues for you? Or did you get approved?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.