Bynx24

Do not Ignore Obvious Signs

112 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, R&OC said:

Amber,

I was once in a relationship that made me unhappy. On the outside, nothing should have made me unhappy at all but inside, I had this weird feeling, this sense of something was off but I ignored it because I couldn't validate my feelings with concrete evidence.

But then it got crazy pretty fast and I had all the evidence in the world. While in the middle of it, I recall my friend asking me why I am still hesitant to get out of the relationship and she asked me one question: If you were in my position and talking to your daughter - what would you advise?

Oh my, my decisions and path became so clear all the sudden because as a parent, as family you want the best for your child or family member. No shame, no pride, no consideration for her reputation or his reputation should ever allow a future partner of my child to manipulate him or her (I have both boys and girls) to remain in a toxic, unhealthy relationship. In fact, I'd be more than happy to support wherever I can instead of seeing them struggle in a messy relationship.

What I am trying to say is that as a parent (at least for most parents), reputation doesn't matter when it comes to your child's happiness and mental health! No need to worry about what other people think. 

Secondly, as on outsider, I am proud how determined you are. You must feel shell shocked and surprised how everything fell apart in very little time. However, you clearly show you have awesome problem solving skills and you ought to be so proud of yourself.

THIS! The thing that finally made me cut the cord on my first husband is that ALL we did was loudly fight and in front of her. She didn’t deserve that, and while being special needs, she didn’t need to think that that’s how couples should live. She’s very impressionable and watches social situations to understand how to act. 

If she ever did get into a relationship, I would hope that it was one modeled after my current marriage and not my old one with her dad. Luckily she was four when I started dating my husband so I’m hoping she’s been around a healthier relationship long enough to know what it looks like.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

So sorry to hear you're having to go through this experience, but happy to see that you're not letting someone walk all over you. I'm hoping it all works out for the best.

8/16/18 -- Married

10/23/18 -- I-130 filed (DCF in Beijing)

12/03/18 -- I-130 approved

12/23/18 -- Packet 3 Sent to GZ

12/28/18 -- Packet 4 received

02/14/19 -- Interview in GZ -- approved!

Total: 113 days from filing to approval

07/15/19 -- Entered US

08/13/19 -- Applied for Social Security Card

08/16/19 -- Green Card received

08/22/19 -- Social Security Card received

6/22/21 – I-751 (Removal of Conditions) mailed out via USPS

6/29/21 - I-751 NOA

9/17/21 - I-751 Biometrics

6/8/22 - I-751 approved (interview waived under new 2022 rule)

6/15/22 - 10-year GC received in mail!

Total: 358 days from filing to receiving 10-year GC

6/18/22 - N-400 filed online

11/18/22 - Interview scheduled for Dallas Field Office

21 hours ago, MjC772 said:

I always thought one effective way to filter these people out is, after you meet, just talk about moving to their country, ask about jobs, housing, visa requirements, etc... you'll most likely find out very quickly by their behavior or their sudden disappearance from your life.  

Except they might want the spouse to come live there and support them.

20 hours ago, Wildlife said:

Before misleading people or putting things out there, get your facts right!!! If you get cheated on by a citizen, he/she is called a cheater but if he/she is from another country, they are using you. I’m not exonerating anyone but don’t forget cheating knows no geography. 

First of all, no need for the exclamation points, second thing, please relax as I am in no mood for you to check my "facts". Mt facts are checked, it's my life and I know the details thank you very much, it's not my fault that you are butt hurt because your beneficiary is from Nigeria, the most fraudulent of all and what I wrote struck a nerve, sorry if my story tiggered you in any way. I never said that people near me won't cheat, I am misleading no one.  GTHO with your negative attitude, thank you.

Thank you all for the outpouring of support, I spoke to my family and even though it began with tension , it ended rather nicely. I am glad I posted this for that reason, the ideas on how to speak to them was what helped the most in such a crazy time for me, on the other hand, I feel like every person on here will turn their backs to this post as they will feel like it doesn't apply to them. I didn't think it applied to me either, the purpose was to keep your eyes open, this will avoid a situation like mine for yourself, wishing you all a smooth journey.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It's against the Terms of Service to tell someone not to post.

It appears that this thread has run its course, so it's now locked to further comment.

Thanks to all constructive contributors, and good luck to the OP.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.