andreaam

Argentinians AOS fillers

928 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Fe.Ta said:

Nice!  Did you see that there are interview questions on here?  Would you suggest prepping some for it?  We were thinking about just going over some things they may ask.

Unless it's changed since I had my GC interview, there is really no preparation aside from bringing the documents they need (if there are any because I can't honestly remember what me and my family brought with us to the interview on 2012). The GC interview should just be easy questions with yes and no answers like the form ds160 has when the beneficiary prepared for the K1 interview. Unlike the naturalization process where you actually have to study American history and  basic politics, the gc has none of that.

1 minute ago, Javier Mera said:

Unless it's changed since I had my GC interview, there is really no preparation aside from bringing the documents they need (if there are any because I can't honestly remember what me and my family brought with us to the interview on 2012). The GC interview should just be easy questions with yes and no answers like the form ds160 has when the beneficiary prepared for the K1 interview. Unlike the naturalization process where you actually have to study American history and  basic politics, the gc has none of that.

But, isn't this one the one where they could ask you personal questions such as "when did you last have sex, etc.".  Not that you would "rehearse" this but it would be good to know some topics that could be asked or covered so we are not taken back.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Timeline

I got the RFE a month after biometrics. There are cases that the interview is scheduled really fast, but let’s say the 90% takes 6+ months to schedule. 

I’m not really hoping for an interview by this year. Just waiting for EAD.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Fe.Ta said:

But, isn't this one the one where they could ask you personal questions such as "when did you last have sex, etc.".  Not that you would "rehearse" this but it would be good to know some topics that could be asked or covered so we are not taken back.

Haha I can't imagine they would ask personal questions. We did get asked if we had prostituted ourselves in the past or if we belonged to the Nazi or communist party lol.

Just now, Javier Mera said:

Haha I can't imagine they would ask personal questions. We did get asked if we had prostituted ourselves in the past or if we belonged to the Nazi or communist party lol.

The reason I asked is because I have read in other posts in VJ that the GC interview sometimes does get personal, they may even separate the couple to ask similar questions, etc. to confirm whether or not they live together and the whole bonafide marriage.  Just FYI.  It could be a possibility.  If your 2012 was family-based (parents), the experience can be very different from this one.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

@Javier Mera Just came across this.  Also, if I recall correctly, your wife is not as fluent (just like my husband).  So, be prepared to have a translator (you can't do the translation yourself at the interview from what I've been advised).  I asked in the post above whether or not a professional or a personal friend would do.  So, maybe keep an eye out.  If you find anything, let me know.  Thanks!

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Fe.Ta said:

@Javier Mera Just came across this.  Also, if I recall correctly, your wife is not as fluent (just like my husband).  So, be prepared to have a translator (you can't do the translation yourself at the interview from what I've been advised).  I asked in the post above whether or not a professional or a personal friend would do.  So, maybe keep an eye out.  If you find anything, let me know.  Thanks!

Holly #######, I did not know the AOS k1 interview would be such hell. Maybe it varies from case to case, who knows. We will definitely prepare for it and thankfully my wife is pretty fluent in english, and is taking 3 english courses in the meantime as well at a community college.

Thanks for the info!

Rules about using proper unbiased interpreter (friends not preferred):

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2449/0-0-0-2798.html

Fluency will be needed at the AOS interview, so those that are deemed not fluent enough will need a translator.  USCIS has their own services, which started as of October as well, but this service is available during a particular time frame of the day and based in ET (I believe), so time zones will need to be considered when scheduling interview or will need to reschedule.

Edited by Fe.Ta
NA

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

2 minutes ago, Javier Mera said:

Holly #######, I did not know the AOS k1 interview would be such hell. Maybe it varies from case to case, who knows. We will definitely prepare for it and thankfully my wife is pretty fluent in english, and is taking 3 english courses in the meantime as well at a community college.

Thanks for the info!

Good for her!  My husband is also studying.  From what I read in the post above, the lady (wife to the U.S. and the one who posted) is considered to be very fluent according to the husband, but USCIS determined she was not and decided to try to use the services they have, but they are in PT and they missed the window.  So, he had to reschedule.  We will not be risking it, we will either pay for a private translator or schedule the interview during the time frame the services are available.  Because we are dealing with USCIS, we don't want to assume my husband's fluency is enough and have them decide it is not to then have to reschedule.  So, better safe than sorry!  Food for thought.  Yes, the AOS is very different for K1 than family.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Timeline
On 10/3/2019 at 12:39 PM, Fe.Ta said:

Just checking in on everyone!  Any updates?

Hi everybody! Just catching up. I already received my SSN. It took two weeks instead of four as we were told so I want to imagine that it's because we have a clean and "easy to deal with" record. 

We're a liiiittle behind but almost ready to send our AOS just before Oct 14th. I used the translation page that one of you recommended here (https://www.daytranslations.com) and I'm waiting for it. So far, so good. A little expensive but necessary for us at this point. 

We're struggling a little bit with the I-864 (wasn't expecting that it was that much different for I-134) but i think we'll get it ready this weekend to send out next Monday/Tuesday. Might have some of my desperate last minute questions later on (hopefully not).

Just wanted to verify, did everybody sent the papers to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox ? 

Thanks!

Timeline
14 hours ago, Fla&Mark said:

Hi everybody! Just catching up. I already received my SSN. It took two weeks instead of four as we were told so I want to imagine that it's because we have a clean and "easy to deal with" record. 

We're a liiiittle behind but almost ready to send our AOS just before Oct 14th. I used the translation page that one of you recommended here (https://www.daytranslations.com) and I'm waiting for it. So far, so good. A little expensive but necessary for us at this point. 

We're struggling a little bit with the I-864 (wasn't expecting that it was that much different for I-134) but i think we'll get it ready this weekend to send out next Monday/Tuesday. Might have some of my desperate last minute questions later on (hopefully not).

Just wanted to verify, did everybody sent the papers to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox ? 

Thanks!

Yes to Chicago!

I am glad the SSN process wasn’t painful. 

Hoping you can mail the Aos soon 😊

On 10/4/2019 at 7:11 PM, Fla&Mark said:

Thanks!

Congrats!  That is very exciting.  I believe the 2 weeks instead of 4 has nothing to do with the easiness of the record because SSA is not like USCIS, so it is not like they are checking the record as thoroughly as USCIS for immigration.  Sometimes it is just the office it got sent to and the local office you went  Either way, glad it took less time!

Yes, our was mailed to the Chicago lockbox.  Good luck!

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Bio appointment received today (10/7) for 10/17 at 1PM. What should we expect? How is the process?

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Fe.Ta said:

Bio appointment received today (10/7) for 10/17 at 1PM. What should we expect? How is the process?

Is pretty easy. You walk in with you ID and the letter and after that they make you wait until they call your name. Once you are called they take a photo of you and then your fingerprints. You should be out after 15 minutes

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.