Lynxwarden

Writing a personal letter for evidence - how do I go about it?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I've been gathering up evidence for my visa interview next week (yep, next week, less than a week as of today) and something that can apparently help with the evidence side of things is writing a personal letter - both one from me and one from my fiance - about our relationship. So how we met, when we met in person and what about each other made us  fall in love. But I have a slight problem;

How the heck do I even begin to write one of those letters?

In theory it should be simple; I write down what I love about my fiance, how we met and all the details that are necessary to share. Putting it into practice in a Microsoft Word document though is proving hard. It's like when you try to start an essay for school and you keep drawing up blanks in your mind. Has anyone else done this? How'd you even begin...? (also if anyone knows where I can find an example or be willing to share what you wrote if you did this too, that would be very much appreciated!)

I-129F Case Received - August 29 2018

I-129F Approved - January 27 2019

Case Moved to Consulate - March 05 2019

Medical Exam Completed - March 21 2019

Interview - Done and Accepted on May 9th 2019 ❤️ 

Moved countries on May 19

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I would make a statement if you cannot write it naturally, then it won't help, as it would just come out artificial during interview and overwrought. Person interviewing you will spend probably 5 .. maybe 10 mins with you tops. They are not going to pause and read your letter. Not have I heard of anyone ask for one. They might be interested in evidence of relationship. Natural looking pictures of 2 of you together, with family if you have some, a few (not too many!) screenshots from whatever chat program you are using to keep in touch. But for the most part they will spend this time talking to you. In a friendly non hostile manner. Just relax. You are not being interrogated, at least not in that way. Answer their questions as to the point as you can. Know basics facts about your fiance. Name of his parents. Birthday. Work. City. etc. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Shiran said:

I would make a statement if you cannot write it naturally, then it won't help, as it would just come out artificial during interview and overwrought. Person interviewing you will spend probably 5 .. maybe 10 mins with you tops. They are not going to pause and read your letter. Not have I heard of anyone ask for one. They might be interested in evidence of relationship. Natural looking pictures of 2 of you together, with family if you have some, a few (not too many!) screenshots from whatever chat program you are using to keep in touch. But for the most part they will spend this time talking to you. In a friendly non hostile manner. Just relax. You are not being interrogated, at least not in that way. Answer their questions as to the point as you can. Know basics facts about your fiance. Name of his parents. Birthday. Work. City. etc

If that's the case I feel slightly more relaxed about this interview! 😅 I've gotten a couple witness statements from both our mothers (for his she wrote it out over email, not sure if that will be of any help or seem artificial, but never hurts to have on hand maybe?), I've got pictures of us together, on outings with his brother and his girl, and some with his mum, just need to print them.

I've also started downloading our messenger texts - we have a lot so it's just a matter of waiting for the file to stop crashing so I can scroll through and pick parts to print out 😂

Timeline

What you described sounds perfect. And don't go crazy with messenger either, but a few samples might be nice to have. I am positive you will be fine, though I know this week will drag on for your particularly slowly. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Shiran said:

What you described sounds perfect. And don't go crazy with messenger either, but a few samples might be nice to have. I am positive you will be fine, though I know this week will drag on for your particularly slowly.

Thank you for the second perspective! And oh definitely, it's been a very very stressful time, both dealing with getting everything ready and set and other outside factors. If all goes well with this interview, I'll feel very, very peaceful 😂

Also, In my confirmation letter for the interview date I was told to be expected in the building for 2 hours - is that not often the case?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lynxwarden said:

Also, In my confirmation letter for the interview date I was told to be expected in the building for 2 hours - is that not often the case?

Not sure I understand the question. It sounds like the time for your appointment? 

You might want to read https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=New Zealand for some reviews. Unfortunately not too many of those, and most are from people doing IR-1 visa, not K-1 but still.

What might be helpful is to organize your packet. I presume you have your medical complete, and have sealed packet for it? So you want your DS-160 on top, then 2 pictures, medical, police certificate, I-134 + tax forms that your fiance provided, then all your evidence of relationship, pictures, messenger texts etc.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

i Don't think the letter is needed for Interview to be completely honest.
They know right of the bat whether the interview is genuine, or ask more questions, as they review the initial file before actual interview. 

Bring a couple of pictures, maybe boarding passes, take a couple chat screen shots here and there and you'll be good.

When my wife went, they asked maybe 5 questions, never even looked at the photos, nor asked to look at any docs apart from Affidavit of support. 

The "Interrogations" happen usually in the high fraud countries, but consulate in countries that are better off, are not that bad. We're from Lithuania, where literally there are very little people doing visas anymore apart from ESTA which is filed online, and as i said, officer was nice and quick. The month she went for interview, and a month before combined, had 1 (!!!!!!) K-1 issued which was my now wife. 

Rather be informed about your Fiance. Workplace, what he does in his off time, hobbies, address, parents' and siblings' names, that kind of thing. Sometimes Confidence and courtesy goes longer way, than some letters.. 

Good luck and don't stress. It's not as bad as it seems! 

Edited by The_Empyrean

7 hours ago, Lynxwarden said:

I've gotten a couple witness statements from both our mothers (for his she wrote it out over email, not sure if that will be of any help or seem artificial, but never hurts to have on hand maybe?), I've got pictures of us together, on outings with his brother and his girl, and some with his mum, just need to print them. 

They're not going to sit there and read a pre-recorded story.  The evidence and interview will speak for itself.

Witness letters, affidavits, etc. carry little to no weight. Nobody submits a negative one, and there is no way for the CO to verify its validity (even notarized just verifies who signed it, not it's accuracy) or assess their credibility.

I'm in no way suggesting any sort of fraud here, but the items noted above can very easily be obtained by somebody engaging in a fraudulent relationship with fairly minimal effort and no way for a CO to distinguish this from people who are in a legit relationship.

I would suggest focusing on the quality evidence - time together first, then calls, chats, letters, photos, etc. Things normal couples do who want to marry.

You'll be fine...it's a low fraud consulate. And generally the people most concerned with the things you noted tend to be over-prepared anyway. ;)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post containing an e-mail address has been removed from this VERY public forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

13 hours ago, Lynxwarden said:

I've been gathering up evidence for my visa interview next week (yep, next week, less than a week as of today) and something that can apparently help with the evidence side of things is writing a personal letter - both one from me and one from my fiance - about our relationship. So how we met, when we met in person and what about each other made us  fall in love. But I have a slight problem;

How the heck do I even begin to write one of those letters?

In theory it should be simple; I write down what I love about my fiance, how we met and all the details that are necessary to share. Putting it into practice in a Microsoft Word document though is proving hard. It's like when you try to start an essay for school and you keep drawing up blanks in your mind. Has anyone else done this? How'd you even begin...? (also if anyone knows where I can find an example or be willing to share what you wrote if you did this too, that would be very much appreciated!)

Not needed at all for Auckland.  NZ is a low/no fraud country, and the COs do not have time to read such a document.

13 hours ago, Lynxwarden said:

If that's the case I feel slightly more relaxed about this interview! 😅 I've gotten a couple witness statements from both our mothers (for his she wrote it out over email, not sure if that will be of any help or seem artificial, but never hurts to have on hand maybe?), I've got pictures of us together, on outings with his brother and his girl, and some with his mum, just need to print them.

I've also started downloading our messenger texts - we have a lot so it's just a matter of waiting for the file to stop crashing so I can scroll through and pick parts to print out 😂

None of this is needed for Auckland.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.