Eva_AJ

Expedite EAD due to deployment

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

Hi :) has anyone had experience of getting succesful expedite EAD (AoS)? I will have my K1 soon, going to US in August but we've just found out that my fiancé is deploying in October.

What are you experience with expediting due to this? I read that they usually don't do it as I can attend the interview by myself, which is fine with me but my main focus is on EAD as I need it for my driving license (Texas). With my fiancé gone and without license I have no way to get around :(

Thank you for any advise.

I'm not sure about your question, but do you have a driver's license in your home country? In Kansas my insurance covered my husband driving in the US on an unexpired international license for one year. If not, you might see if you can get one in your remaining time.

Edited by Daisy.Chain

Timeline

I do have my driving license in my country. I could also get international license as well - would it be okay to use it? I thought I have to get the american one but this would solve this.

I think you can only use your international driving license for like 6 months. 

Also dont think they will expedite EAD because of driving license. Since that would be your base, not deployment. You can always try but I'd say small chance. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Roel said:

I think you can only use your international driving license for like 6 months. 

Also dont think they will expedite EAD because of driving license. Since that would be your base, not deployment. You can always try but I'd say small chance. 

Thank you. Our international DL is valid for the whole year but even 6 months could be enough for me to get EAD

You can read how to get a drivers licens in Texas here ... seems to me like you'll need a US drivers licens 🤔

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/movingtotexas.htm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

From what I read you have max 90 days to transfer your license upon becoming a resident of the state, so you could use your international driving permit for 90 days, after that you would need a license. If you are here on a tourist visa, you can use your international permit for as long as your here, say 6 months if they give you that time at POE. But you are arriving on a K1 that is an immigrant Visa, so you would have 90 days. That's not too bad, here in Nevada you only have 30 days to change license and registration after you take residence. The only exception is if you have a address on a military base, here In Nevada they don't make active duty military change their license or registration.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.