Derik-Lina

AP Timelines

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Consulates are unable to give clear answers in regards to AP timelines.

Who can I contact for semi detailed answers? Any government Agencies?

My wife and I would like to plan our lives accordingly, and seeing some waiting for two years is discouraging :( 

On a positive note, there are few who were cleared within 1 and 3 months. We are entering our sixth month soon.

Thanks,

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

Consulates are unable to give clear answers in regards to AP timelines.

Who can I contact for semi detailed answers? Any government Agencies?

My wife and I would like to plan our lives accordingly, and seeing some waiting for two years is discouraging :( 

On a positive note, there are few who were cleared within 1 and 3 months. We are entering our sixth month soon.

Thanks,

AP is open ended. There is no definitive time line for it. Can be 2-3 days, 2-3 weeks, 2-3 months, even 1-2+ years. Couple members here recently had hit 18+ months.

It can not be bypassed or expedited.

the USC can ask their congress person/representative, but they can only "nudge" the embassy, they can not force them to make a decision.  The embassy has their own unique power.

You can, if desired, write a "writ of mandamus"... but usually people don't until after 1 year, and usually as far as I am aware, because of that, the embassy essentially denies the visa because they had not yet finished their process.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

AP is open ended. There is no definitive time line for it. Can be 2-3 days, 2-3 weeks, 2-3 months, even 1-2+ years. Couple members here recently had hit 18+ months.

It can not be bypassed or expedited.

the USC can ask their congress person/representative, but they can only "nudge" the embassy, they can not force them to make a decision.  The embassy has their own unique power.

You can, if desired, write a "writ of mandamus"... but usually people don't until after 1 year, and usually as far as I am aware, because of that, the embassy essentially denies the visa because they had not yet finished their process.

Aware of all that you wrote. Thank you.

Is your husband or Fiancee stuck in AP? 

Am I safe to to write you give no Solutions above? Except waiting and maybe for over 18 months?

Thank you very much again and best of luck to you and your loved one.

Honest-Love-Respect

Timeline
Just now, Jorgedig said:

No such thing as an AP timeline.  It takes the time that it takes.  

Are you in AP? It can take indefinite time? Thank you :) 

Honest-Love-Respect

2 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

Are you in AP? It can take indefinite time? Thank you :) 

I am not in AP.  Yes, it can take indefinite time.

4 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

Am I safe to to write you give no Solutions above? Except waiting and maybe for over 18 months?

4 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

Unfortunately, there's no solution to give, the answer is wait :(

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No, luckily for us the Philippines is generally pretty short AP times. Again it really can vary by country do to different standards each has. You do not have to wait 18 months or any amount of time honestly, but when you do the "Writ of Mandamus", it is essentially forcing the embassy to make a decision and if they haven't finished the process, they usually just deny it since again, they had not finished conducting their checks.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
20 hours ago, Ben&Zian said:

No, luckily for us the Philippines is generally pretty short AP times. Again it really can vary by country do to different standards each has. You do not have to wait 18 months or any amount of time honestly, but when you do the "Writ of Mandamus", it is essentially forcing the embassy to make a decision and if they haven't finished the process, they usually just deny it since again, they had not finished conducting their checks.

Thank you :) 

Honest-Love-Respect

1 hour ago, Derik-Lina said:

Thank you :) 

Hey just a heads up that I have read a lot of misinformation about the mandamus on visajourney. Here is the bottomline: for the purpose of admin processing, very few mandamus lawsuits have been filed. Few attorneys have experience with it, and the sample size is too small to draw a conclusion one way or the other.

What is obvious is:

- You need to have waited at least 6 months in AP to do it (some lawyers say 1 year)

- The worst case that can happen (assuming there is nothing wrong with your case: fake marriage, criminal background, etc.) is that your case continues to remain in AP.

A common misconception which no attorney I have spoken to agrees with is that "if your background check is incomplete they will reject you". I yet have to find an attorney that agrees with this, and yet have to read a single piece of evidence or case that this actually happened. Best of luck.

4 hours ago, pooch1986 said:

Hey just a heads up that I have read a lot of misinformation about the mandamus on visajourney. Here is the bottomline: for the purpose of admin processing, very few mandamus lawsuits have been filed. Few attorneys have experience with it, and the sample size is too small to draw a conclusion one way or the other.

What is obvious is:

- You need to have waited at least 6 months in AP to do it (some lawyers say 1 year)

- The worst case that can happen (assuming there is nothing wrong with your case: fake marriage, criminal background, etc.) is that your case continues to remain in AP.

A common misconception which no attorney I have spoken to agrees with is that "if your background check is incomplete they will reject you". I yet have to find an attorney that agrees with this, and yet have to read a single piece of evidence or case that this actually happened. Best of luck.

What seems to be the word on the street here on VJ, is that by filing the writ, the consulate is "forced to make a decision,"  which by default will be a NOID if the background checks are not completed, i.e. there is not enough information to approve.

I don't have any personal knowledge of this process, but maybe @geowrian, @TBoneTX, @SusieQQQ, @aaron2020 or others may.

I think too many people are focusing on the word "refused" but not entirely clear on what that means.

Here's my $0.02 since I was mentioned. ;)

If you are not determined to be eligible for the visa, it must be refused. AP due to missing documents, background checks, etc. is really a refusal already (under INA 221(g), see below). These can be overcome once the additional documents/processing/investigation/whatever other cause is resolved. Refusal under 221(g) is by far the most common reason for a refusal of an immigrant visa (https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/AnnualReports/FY2018AnnualReport/FY18AnnualReport - TableXX.pdf).

For reference, INA 221(g):

"(g) Nonissuance of visas or other documents

...(2) the application fails to comply with the provisions of this chapter, or the regulations issued thereunder"

If a WoM was successful to force a decision and there was still not enough information to confirm eligibility for the visa, the visa must be refused (presumably under INA 221(g) still).

It doesn't mean the I-130 is sent back for revocation - the petition is still valid unless they discover a reason to believe otherwise.

It doesn't mean they stop background checks. The ineligibility can still be overcome.

5 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

which by default will be a NOID if the background checks are not completed

NOIDs are issued by USCIS. The petition is still valid unless they discover a reason to believe the petition is invalid.

I just wanted to note this because the topic is about AP, which only applies to that stage of the process.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
11 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I think too many people are focusing on the word "refused" but not entirely clear on what that means.

Here's my $0.02 since I was mentioned. ;)

If you are not determined to be eligible for the visa, it must be refused. AP due to missing documents, background checks, etc. is really a refusal already (under INA 221(g), see below). These can be overcome once the additional documents/processing/investigation/whatever other cause is resolved. Refusal under 221(g) is by far the most common reason for a refusal of an immigrant visa (https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/AnnualReports/FY2018AnnualReport/FY18AnnualReport - TableXX.pdf).

For reference, INA 221(g):

"(g) Nonissuance of visas or other documents

...(2) the application fails to comply with the provisions of this chapter, or the regulations issued thereunder"

If a WoM was successful to force a decision and there was still not enough information to confirm eligibility for the visa, the visa must be refused (presumably under INA 221(g) still).

It doesn't mean the I-130 is sent back for revocation - the petition is still valid unless they discover a reason to believe otherwise.

It doesn't mean they stop background checks. The ineligibility can still be overcome.

NOIDs are issued by USCIS. The petition is still valid unless they discover a reason to believe the petition is invalid.

I just wanted to note this because the topic is about AP, which only applies to that stage of the process.

Geowrian, WOM will not lead to a complete flat out denial? It will just be another 221G like? IOW the Visa will still remain refused until Documents/Background checks etc..complete? Thank you so very much again.

Edited by Derik-Lina

Honest-Love-Respect

1 minute ago, Derik-Lina said:

Geowrian, WOM will not lead to a complete flat out denial? It will just be another 221G like? IOW the Visa will still remain refused until Documents/Background checks etc..complete? Thank you so very much again.

It will result in a refusal if they don't have enough information to make a decision. My understanding is it will not result in them stop processing the case to determine eligibility.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It will result in a refusal if they don't have enough information to make a decision. My understanding is it will not result in them stop processing the case to determine eligibility.

Let s say the case is still undergoing background checks. Will they reject/deny/refuse the visa if 60 days come by and the checks have not completed? or allow it to forego the necessary steps and decide then? My wife and I have an urgent situation where we must be together soon, and we would hire an attorney if we won t risk her Visa altogether. Of course, I can relocate, but my career, family and life are here. Moving would be our last option.

Honest-Love-Respect

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.