Danny70

When to file for AOS? Curious

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

My wife came here two months ago. In that time we've gotten married, she just got her social security card, we got an apartment under both of our names, she's on my health/ dental insurance plan from work and later today I'm putting her on my bank accounts.  

I'm trying to get as much evidence in place for our AOS. The K1's 90 days is up in a month. Do we have to file for AOS by then or can we file in later this summer?

20 minutes ago, Danny70 said:

Hi,

My wife came here two months ago. In that time we've gotten married, she just got her social security card, we got an apartment under both of our names, she's on my health/ dental insurance plan from work and later today I'm putting her on my bank accounts.  

I'm trying to get as much evidence in place for our AOS. The K1's 90 days is up in a month. Do we have to file for AOS by then or can we file in later this summer?

As soon as her I94 expires, she will become out of status. That means that at the worst and very rarely to occur, she could be picked up and brought before an immigration judge and be forced to apply for AOS immediately or face removal proceedings. 

You dont have to file within the 90 days but you should try to file as soon as possible as it takes a very long time and she will not be able to work, drive (in most states) or leave and return to the US until she is either approved for her EAD and AP or her GC (whichever comes first).

EAD/AP is taking 5 to 7 months right now so that is the earliest she will be able to do any of those things above once you file. GC can take months or years. If you dont file, she cant do any of that. Would you want to be deprived of those things if you were her?

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

There are no benefits to filing later......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Danny70 said:

Hi,

The evidence requirement for the i485 isn't that onerous.   What you are doing is more akin to what is needed in two years 

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

The evidence requirement for the i485 isn't that onerous.   What you are doing is more akin to what is needed in two years 

Exactly. All you need for evidence now is your Marriage Certificate. Everything else is brought to the interview so you'll have plenty of time to collect proof of bonafide marriage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You should file as soon as you have all the documents necessary to file (and you don't need any evidence beyond the marriage certificate to file); there's zero benefit to waiting.

Also note that you can pay USCIS lockbox fees via credit card, and paying credit card interest for a month or two is less bad than delaying your new spouse's ability to work and drive (in most states, anyway) for a month or two.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Oh, we were under the impression we needed as much evidence as we needed right now. We'll get it done this week then and send it in. 

Should we send in any of our evidence besides our marriage certificate? 

34 minutes ago, Danny70 said:

You can but it's not needed and you will just have to bring it all over again to the interview.

The I485 form is not adjudicated (approved or denied) before the interview and you cannot get an RFE for not sending marriage evidence (other than photocopies of you MC with each form) as marriage evidence is not a requirement with the initial application.

Another thing to consider is that your K1 medical exam comes with an expiry. If you don't want to have to re-take the medical for your AOS, file sooner than later. 

1 hour ago, Danny70 said:

Oh, we were under the impression we needed as much evidence as we needed right now. We'll get it done this week then and send it in. 

Please, please, please read the instructions for filing AOS. It will let you know what evidence is required. If it doesn't ask for it, you don't need to provide it. At the AOS interview you should bring all previously submitted evidence as well as follow their instructions that they will provide you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.