OCman

Is it worth it to attend consulate interview?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi All,  

My wife has an interview coming up in Guangzhou, China.

I heard the petitioner is not allowed to enter the consulate with the applicant.

Does it help for the approval process for me to be there with her?

I am kind of busy with my work in US right now, so it's not convenient to take time off.  

But if it improves our chance, then I could make a short trip there.  

Thanks,

Edited by OCman

If there is any way to be there I would go.   I was in a similar situation for my wife's interview and the CO asked if I was there.    The CO had me come in and asked some questions. 

They had made a math error and if I wasn't there we would have gotten a 221(g).

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

If there is any way to be there I would go.   I was in a similar situation for my wife's interview and the CO asked if I was there.    The CO had me come in and asked some questions. 

They had made a math error and if I wasn't there we would have gotten a 221(g).

Wow.  Did she come out to get you in or did a consulate official call you in?   

That kind of things don't happen too often I assume. 

It's a good thing you were there and didn't walk away too far.  

What kind questions or mistake?  You can just say it generally.  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My wife and stepson had their K1/K2 visa interview in Guangzhou back in 2012. I flew over to be with them at this very important event in our relationship. As you mentioned, sponsors are not allowed to be in attendance at the interview in Guangzhou. I was in the vicinity, nervously enjoying a cup of Starbuck's. The one thing that I did do was to compose a one page letter called, Evolution of Relationship. In it, I detailed  a quick synopsis of our relationship up until that time. I folded it lengthwise, and placed in in my blue US passport. I asked my wife to place my passport on top of the documents that she had to pass through to the consular officer. He, of course, saw the passport, took a look at my letter, and commented to her, "He is in the area!"  He then passed my passport back to her. I don''t know if it made any difference. As you may have heard, Guangzhou is a tough consulate to obtain your visa. We figured we had to take advantage of all of the options we could to help our chances for success.  Additionally, it counted as another visit, we ended up getting together four times during our courting phase. It wasn't easy for me to take time off of work to make the trip, the flight from Seattle was late in leaving, arrived 6 hours late in Beijing, thereby missing the connecting flight to Guangzhou. I ended up getting there are six hours later than planned. I was one beat-up guy after 18 (+) plus hours of transit time. 

In the end, I believe that it was worth every minute and every dollar for me to make that trip and support my soon-to-be family in a very critical point in our relationship. I would suggest that if you can do the trip, do it. Your spouse will certainly appreciate the support. YMMV.

Good luck on your immigration journey. 

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Just now, OCman said:

Wow.  Did she come out to get you in or did a consulate official call you in?   

That kind of things don't happen too often I assume. 

It's a good thing you were there and didn't walk away too far.  

What kind questions or mistake? 

I was waiting outside for 2 hours.  The CO had us come back after lunch.

We had a few red flags.    Age Difference,  recent marriage, applying from a third country, weird ### financials . . . All successfully navigated.   

My wife was living in Mexico for 5 months and DOS thought it was 6 months (they read the date of her Mexican visa issue as the date she entered Mexico)

I was glad I was there.  So was she!

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

My wife and stepson had their K1/K2 visa interview in Guangzhou back in 2012. I flew over to be with them at this very important event in our relationship. As you mentioned, sponsors are not allowed to be in attendance at the interview in Guangzhou. I was in the vicinity, nervously enjoying a cup of Starbuck's. The one thing that I did do was to compose a one page letter called, Evolution of Relationship. In it, I detailed  a quick synopsis of our relationship up until that time. I folded it lengthwise, and placed in in my blue US passport. I asked my wife to place my passport on top of the documents that she had to pass through to the consular officer. He, of course, saw the passport, took a look at my letter, and commented to her, "He is in the area!"  He then passed my passport back to her. I don''t know if it made any difference. As you may have heard, Guangzhou is a tough consulate to obtain your visa. We figured we had to take advantage of all of the options we could to help our chances for success.  Additionally, it counted as another visit, we ended up getting together four times during our courting phase. It wasn't easy for me to take time off of work to make the trip, the flight from Seattle was late in leaving, arrived 6 hours late in Beijing, thereby missing the connecting flight to Guangzhou. I ended up getting there are six hours later than planned. I was one beat-up guy after 18 (+) plus hours of transit time. 

In the end, I believe that it was worth every minute and every dollar for me to make that trip and support my soon-to-be family in a very critical point in our relationship. I would suggest that if you can do the trip, do it. Your spouse will certainly appreciate the support. YMMV.

Really appreciate your feedback.  I also heard Guangzhou is not an easy place for visas.  

My wife and I have been together five times already, and we have all the photos to show them.  

But I can see having your passport there can make an impression, even if they don't call you in. 

Flying to Guangzhou is not an easy trip.  Were you there for just a couple days?  

If you have to make the trip again, you may want to consider flying direct to HK or Shenzhen.  

8 minutes ago, OCman said:

Flying to Guangzhou is not an easy trip.

I've made the trip there on China Southern from the West Coast.  Better than a connection in PEK or HKG. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, OCman said:

Really appreciate your feedback.  I also heard Guangzhou is not an easy place for visas.  

My wife and I have been together five times already, and we have all the photos to show them.  

But I can see having your passport there can make an impression, even if they don't call you in. 

Flying to Guangzhou is not an easy trip.  Were you there for just a couple days?  

If you have to make the trip again, you may want to consider flying direct to HK or Shenzhen.  

Photos and passport stamps are good to have.

Yep, they were there for a couple days before. All told we were there in June, not very pleasant in Guangzhou. Now, there are a lot more direct options from SEA. Back then there weren't a lot of flight choices, SEA to PEK was one of the few. Others went through LAX to PVG. Given the current strained relations, PRC would not be among my current destinations, besides the pollution is horrible.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Mrsamoah2019 said:

If you are able to go then I highly recommend..I wish I can be there at my husband's interview 

Has it happened yet?  Are you regretting you didn't go or you couldn't go?  

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

Photos and passport stamps are good to have.

Yep, they were there for a couple days before. All told we were there in June, not very pleasant in Guangzhou. Now, there are a lot more direct options from SEA. Back then there weren't a lot of flight choices, SEA to PEK was one of the few. Others went through LAX to PVG. Given the current strained relations, PRC would not be among my current destinations, besides the pollution is horrible.

Yeah, June is certainly hot and humid in Guangzhou. 

But I don't mind wearing next to nothing when we are sleeping together. :)

As for strained relations, I just hope it doesn't carry over to the visa approval process too much.  

I know many visas have been denied, so we are getting quite anxious as well.  

Edited by OCman

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
34 minutes ago, OCman said:

Has it happened yet?  Are you regretting you didn't go or you couldn't go?  

His interview is May 30...I cant take off work....and the flights are outrageous...I want to go sooooo bad 

Edited by Mrsamoah2019

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went to the consulate with my husband for our interview in Montreal.  I think it was more to offer moral support to him than anything because it feels stressful--even if it's not.  The actual interview took about 3 or 4 minutes, and I was not needed.  In Montreal, USC spouses are allowed into the consulate.

So the long answer is not necessary, but might be nice for your spouse.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.