Daisy.Chain

An illegal immigrant's journey to naturalization

13 posts in this topic

Today at work a native French woman made an off-hand comment to another adult and I about a job she had in California "before she got legal" with a wink and a smile (more than 25 years ago). She met and married a US citizen. A few years later, she naturalized. I did not smile back (at my co-worker).

I knew that this happens, but it is so frustrating to see people who abuse the system skate through. This is a crime and should be treated as such! At my husband's naturalization ceremony this week I saw many people naturalize who had married US citizens after coming illegally. So frustrating.

I wonder how other visajourney people eho do things the legal way handle this situation - or handle dealing with those who don't become legal. I generally vote my conscience and try not to ask, find out or speculate about specific cases.

Edited by Daisy.Chain

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post has been removed because its last line violated the Terms of Service.

The author may repost what was said, minus that line.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Timeline
2 hours ago, Daisy.Chain said:

Today at work a native French woman made an off-hand comment to another adult and I about a job she had in California "before she got legal" with a wink and a smile (more than 25 years ago). She met and married a US citizen. A few years later, she naturalized. I did not smile back (at my co-worker).

I knew that this happens, but it is so frustrating to see people who abuse the system skate through. This is a crime and should be treated as such! At my husband's naturalization ceremony this week I saw many people naturalize who had married US citizens after coming illegally. So frustrating.

I wonder how other visajourney people eho do things the legal way handle this situation - or handle dealing with those who don't become legal. I generally vote my conscience and try not to ask, find out or speculate about specific cases.

I’ve met and known people like you . Illegal or not illegal we are al immigrants . If you ain’t Native American then you have no say . You got lucky ,getting the chance of coming here legally . You never know the circumstances others were in and why they had to come here illegally. Like I said , if you ain’t Native American then don’t complain ! 

Descendants of immigrants. Not all of us are immigrants. By definition in order for us to be immigrants we would have had to all be born in another country.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

8 hours ago, DAWGY said:

I’ve met and known people like you . Illegal or not illegal we are al immigrants . If you ain’t Native American then you have no say . You got lucky ,getting the chance of coming here legally . You never know the circumstances others were in and why they had to come here illegally. Like I said , if you ain’t Native American then don’t complain ! 

I approve of legal immigration only. There is no "right" to come to America. It frustrating to do the right thing and then watch floodgates of illegals pour across the border.

11 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Get over it.

Committing a crime would result in getting their naturalization applications denied.  Apparently, the US Government did not find any crime preventing them from naturalizing.  Furthermore, being undocumented is not a crime, it's a civil offense - not criminal.  

I never get why people say "undocumented" instead of "illegal". To be nicer? Illegal immigrants ARE breaking the law - because of their "illegal" status. There is nothing wrong about saying the word "illegal". I also don't get how illegal immigrants sometimes later naturalize, swearing that they will uphold the law, when they have already shown that they are willing to and did break the law. Craziness!

I was hoping someone would pitch in with a helpful answer as to how law-following US citizens interact with people indifferent to or proud of their illegal status. (Not argue whether illegal status is wrong) Do you ignore the comment? Try to help? I didn't wish to begin a debate, however, and I am requesting to close this thread. Maybe I will think of a way to phrase the question differently in the future.

11 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Get over it.

Committing a crime would result in getting their naturalization applications denied.  Apparently, the US Government did not find any crime preventing them from naturalizing.  Furthermore, being undocumented is not a crime, it's a civil offense - not criminal.  

https://www.uclalawreview.org/illegal-entry-as-crime-deportation-as-punishment-immigration-status-and-the-criminal-process/

Just now, Daisy.Chain said:

https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/crime-enter-illegally.html

A crime and a civil violation, actually.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

I was hoping someone would pitch in with a helpful answer as to how law-following US citizens interact with people indifferent to or proud of their illegal status. (Not argue whether illegal status is wrong) Do you ignore the comment? Try to help? I didn't wish to begin a debate, however, and I am requesting to close this thread. Maybe I will think of a way to phrase the question differently in the future.

I would probably take the piss, but never happened.

All the illegals I have come across have had documents btw. I assume most have.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

23 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I would probably take the piss, but never happened.

All the illegals I have come across have had documents btw. I assume most have.

Sorry.. what is "take the piss"?

The ones I have come across haven't. I know because in my current job I see a lot of their documents or lack thereof. And recently I see a lot of pride in that, which confuses me. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How do you live in the US without some sort of document? Well for that mast majority. Half seem to have entered legally and overstayed. I doubt your French lady swam in.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

{Mod Action}

Thread closed per OP request.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.