Dashinka

As residents flee New York's high taxes, state uses intrusive audits to get cash from defectors

36 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

Paying taxes is not a choice.  Where one lives, and how those taxes are collected, IS a choice.  

I have been alive for several decades.  For a small portion of those several decades, I have worked in NYC.  But I would NEVER move to NY state to be burdened by their excessive taxes.  No, no Southern state has done anything to attract me.  I am simply smart enough to realize that if I buy a home in NY, I will pay hundreds of thousands more in real estate tax than I will in say Alabama or Arkansas or South Carolina. It has nothing to do with recent tax cuts.  I chose not to live in NY 30 year ago, and 20 years ago, and 10 years ago, and next year, and... (hopefully you get the point).

I know a gal who sold her (paid off) home in SC, and moved to Long Island.  Mortgage aside, her property taxes were about $13,000 per year.  That;s more than some people’s mortgages in other states, including escrow.  WHY would anyone willing subject themselves to this?

I pay close to 7K per year for property tax in Texas, Rip off in my opinion

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
7 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Oh -- to make Gov. Cuomo happy, should we build a border wall to keep New Yorkers out of Texas?

I wa thinking more like Cuomo building his own wall around NY to keep people in.  I seem to remember some other governments that are very restrictive in how they treat their people.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Timeline
19 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

So if you moved to Florida and get a tax audit, what power does New York have over you to make you pay?

State tax laws.  If you your income from NY is more than 50.1% but you reside in other state, you must pay state taxes in both states.

Some states have reciprocal agreements for this issue, but not too many.  Gott check for each individual. 

Edited by ALFKAD

5 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

State tax laws.  If you your income from NY is more than 50.1% but you reside in other state, you must pay state taxes in both states.

Some states have reciprocal agreements for this issue, but not too many.  Gott check for each individual. 

So if you live in a state without state income taxes and New York came after you for back taxes, how could they enforce you paying?

Looks like most states would tell New York AG to pound sand

5 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

So if you live in a state without state income taxes and New York came after you for back taxes, how could they enforce you paying?

Looks like most states would tell New York AG to pound sand

Because you are breaking a law.  They can garnish your wages if you don't self-rectify.

2 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

Because you are breaking a law.  They can garnish your wages if you don't self-rectify.

I can't see Texas allowing them to garnish a wages for that, it would have to be issued by the Attorney General of Texas to garnish a wage and only have seen them do that for child support.

26 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

I can't see Texas allowing them to garnish a wages for that, it would have to be issued by the Attorney General of Texas to garnish a wage and only have seen them do that for child support.

If you worked in NY, TX does not control your wages nor your employer, NY does.  😎

It happens in the North East states. Many Ppl that work in NYC live in  PA. Some even live as far as Delaware which has some of the lowest property taxes. But their checks still get taxed based on their income in NYC. 

There are some states that neighbor each other that have reciprocity agreements.

https://www.picpa.org/consumers/money-life-tips/tax-help/taxes-for-living-and-working-in-different-states

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

I use to work with on occasions during his formative years a very famous cy young award winner. His father in law was our boss.

I was told that he haid to pay city of New York income taxes for the days they played in New York. He played for the rangers dodgers and marlins among others. 

3 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I use to work with on occasions during his formative years a very famous cy young award winner. His father in law was our boss.

I was told that he haid to pay city of New York income taxes for the days they played in New York. He played for the rangers dodgers and marlins among others. 

Hmmm. I'd guess Kevin Brown but I don't think he won the Cy. Although he probably should have.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

ing article in the NYP,  NY borrowing is $81,000 per family and rising, next recession and they will be bankrupt.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

6 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Hmmm. I'd guess Kevin Brown but I don't think he won the Cy. Although he probably should have.

You guessed Korect.  must have imaged the cy young. Thing My bad. You are right

5 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

You guessed Korect.  must have imaged the cy young. Thing My bad. You are right

He came to mind because I always think he won it one year. He had an amazing season, but John Smoltz had way more wins playing for one of those stacked Braves teams and Smoltz ended up winning by a couple of votes.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
16 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

1.  I pay close to 7K per year for property tax in Texas

2.  Rip off in my opinion

1.  On one house?  I'd compliment you on it, but you'd say, "Oh, don't mansion it."

2.  All taxes are, in some way, a rip-off.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).