KMArmenta

Mother in US Illegally- I-130?

118 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Children are no Qualifying Relatives, need a Spouse or Parent.No mention of either.

I-212 (consent to re-enter after removal) has no qualifying relatives requirement; you're likely thinking of an I-601/A, which does. Close US citizen or LPR relatives can be considered positive factors, however. 

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Hypnos said:

I-212 (consent to re-enter after removal) has no qualifying relatives requirement; you're likely thinking of an I-601/A, which does. US citizen or LPR relatives can be considered positive factors, however. 

You are right, I just  thought of that and you beat me to it.

But not sure the Mother in this case intends to leave for 10 years and try for a I 212.

Well voluntarily.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, missileman said:

To clarify for my simple brain, a 9C means the person has to prove they have been outside the US for 10 years before they can even apply for a waiver, correct?  

22 minutes ago, Hypnos said:

As stated by others, your MIL is likely subject to a 9C permanent bar due to entering lawfully (or attempting to enter, in one case) twice. This is a lifetime bar from the US for which a waiver is only available after ten years of documented presence outside the US

Under normal circumstances, your husband's military service may well have qualified her for Parole In Place (PIP) despite her unlawful entry. Unfortunately, her 9C bar now precludes this option, if indeed she has a 9C bar. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Timeline
5 minutes ago, missileman said:

To clarify for my simple brain, a 9C means the person has to prove they have been outside the US for 10 years before they can even apply for a waiver, correct?  

I am not sure how definitive it is, if you are deported there will be a record if you leave voluntarily than you can show a normal paper trail.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

The requirement is to be outside the US for the 10 years.

The burden is on applicant to show that they qualify.

As such, documentation of meeting that requirement is generally necessary.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

24 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

23 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I am not sure how definitive it is, if you are deported there will be a record if you leave voluntarily than you can show a normal paper trail.

8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Thanks.  I missed the post by @Hypnos  I seem to remember a fairly recent poster whose FIL had voluntarily left the US, waited until the ban had expired.....but he was having a lot of trouble getting the documentation to prove he had actually left the US and had been outside the US for 10 years.  

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, missileman said:

Thanks.  I missed the post by @Hypnos  I seem to remember a fairly recent poster whose FIL had voluntarily left the US, waited until the ban had expired.....but he was having a lot of trouble getting the documentation to prove he had actually left the US and had been outside the US for 10 years. 

Certainly something to bear in mind when going this route.

1 minute ago, Visitor User said:

First EWI and if that was the only one then she needs a I-601A waiver.

No qualifying relative (a son/daughter cannot).

https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-601ainstr.pdf

"Extreme Hardship to a Qualifying Relative

You must show that you have a U.S. citizen or LPR spouse or parent (qualifying relative) who would experience extreme hardship if you are refused admission to the United States. The qualifying relative does not need to be the relative who filed the immigrant visa petition, but he or she must be your U.S. citizen or LPR spouse or parent "

Also, the 9C bar covers more cases than people with more than 1 EWI. Somebody's first EWI can result in a 9C bar, depending on the circumstances.

To be clear, I'm not certain 9C applies here or not, but it is on the table.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
5 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

What "majority of the time"? The 20 years have to be ALL OUTSIDE the US

Just wow to the bold above. Cheating the system?

You mean the mother is not qualified for I-601A nor I-601?

Edited by Visitor User

Timeline
27 minutes ago, geowrian said:

No qualifying relative (a son/daughter cannot).

https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-601ainstr.pdf

"Extreme Hardship to a Qualifying Relative

You must show that you have a U.S. citizen or LPR spouse or parent (qualifying relative) who would experience extreme hardship if you are refused admission to the United States. The qualifying relative does not need to be the relative who filed the immigrant visa petition, but he or she must be your U.S. citizen or LPR spouse or parent "

Also, the 9C bar covers more cases than people with more than 1 EWI. Somebody's first EWI can result in a 9C bar, depending on the circumstances.

To be clear, I'm not certain 9C applies here or not, but it is on the table.

You mean the mother is not qualified for I-601A nor I-601?

Timeline
Just now, Visitor User said:

You mean the mother is not qualified for I-601A nor I-601?

So it seems

Timeline
6 hours ago, Boiler said:

Assuming she is 9C, does sound like she is, then she basically has a 10 year bar outside the US and then to come back will need  a waiver filed by a qualifying relative, spouse, parent are the usual ones. Not children.

Dates of entry may be important, 9C came in 1996 I think.

9C started 4/1/97?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Visitor User said:

9C started 4/1/97?

Sounds right without looking it up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.