metaxas

I-130 translation -- can the petitioner do it?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi Guys, I am trying to translate some documents for the I-130 - divorce decree of my wife, marriage certificate from Hindi to English. I am getting conflicting information from the internet about whether I (the petitioner) can do the certified translation or not, or if I really need to get a friend to do it.

If its possible, I would like to do the certified translation myself, because of course we have friends but they are busy and they its not really possible for us to request people to spend the time translate long documents (although we had thought of doing so earlier).  Professional translators really are few and far between and their English is generally poor in India. Can I, as the petitioner do my own translations?  Have any users been known to face problems if they did their own translations? Appreciate any replies as this thing is delaying and concerning us ...

41 minutes ago, metaxas said:

Hi Guys, I am trying to translate some documents for the I-130 - divorce decree of my wife, marriage certificate from Hindi to English. I am getting conflicting information from the internet about whether I (the petitioner) can do the certified translation or not, or if I really need to get a friend to do it.

If its possible, I would like to do the certified translation myself, because of course we have friends but they are busy and they its not really possible for us to request people to spend the time translate long documents (although we had thought of doing so earlier).  Professional translators really are few and far between and their English is generally poor in India. Can I, as the petitioner do my own translations?  Have any users been known to face problems if they did their own translations? Appreciate any replies as this thing is delaying and concerning us ...

I translated all my own documents for USCIS for the I-130.  I included a statement saying I am competent to translate from Spanish to English and included my address, phone number, and signature.  I went to UPS store and had it notarized for $5.  It was all accepted. I had no RFE.

For USCIS, refer to the guide (https://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1)

"Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated as noted here.):"

The second link provides the instructions for certification of translated documents. Anybody qualified can do this. including the petitioner.

For the embassy stage later, generally a certified translator is required (requirements vary by embassy/consulate).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

52 minutes ago, metaxas said:

Anybody (and yes, that includes the petitioner) can do the translation. All they need is the translator signs statement that says: "I am fluent in both languages, English and              ; and  I am competent to translate."

Myself, I have always been very ####### retentive about this stuff that I have always gone overboard with this and have a professional translation service done it. They're online, there is a bunch of them. Yes, it costs some money, but I have plausible deniability. In fact, when I sponsored my mom, I had her do one set of translation in the home country, then I did another set of translation with a website. Then I read them both and decided which one look better to submit. 

Again, that is just me and I know it's way overboard. 

1 hour ago, metaxas said:

Anyone can translate, along with a statement of competency. 

Another question..why the delay? You had talked about sponsoring your family since at least about a year ago in a thread here. What's the wait? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, metaxas said:

You can do it yourself, but my suggestion is for you to do the actual translation work, then ask a friend to check your work and sign the certification statement.  Lots less work for them to do that way.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
13 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

Another question..why the delay? You had talked about sponsoring your family since at least about a year ago in a thread here. What's the wait? 

Yeah we had a baby and we've been busy with her-- actually two little kids in the house --- things going slow on our side generally..😊 

Edited by metaxas

Timeline
5 hours ago, pushbrk said:

You can do it yourself, but my suggestion is for you to do the actual translation work, then ask a friend to check your work and sign the certification statement.  Lots less work for them to do that way.

Ok.. good advice.. thanks!

14 hours ago, KJ2 said:

I translated all my own documents for USCIS for the I-130.  I included a statement saying I am competent to translate from Spanish to English and included my address, phone number, and signature.  I went to UPS store and had it notarized for $5.  It was all accepted. I had no RFE.

Ok thanks!!

Timeline

15 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

This is the absolute last thing I have left to do before I send out the papers though, everything else is done.

Timeline
10 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Are there known instances where a translation by the petitioner got an RFE or rejection ? Just asking because I would like to do it myself if its low risk of rejection....

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, metaxas said:

Are there known instances where a translation by the petitioner got an RFE or rejection ? Just asking because I would like to do it myself if its low risk of rejection....

It is not my policy to give "high risk" advice.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.