Notch8

How long before someone on a K1 visa can leave the US again?

7 posts in this topic

My Fiancé will be over here around October on a K1 visa if all goes well. I was wanting to get married and go back to Boracay in the Philippines for vacation in January. My friend said he didn't think she could leave that soon afterwards. If someone could explain how this works would be awesome. Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Notch8 said:

My Fiancé will be over here around October on a K1 visa if all goes well. I was wanting to get married and go back to Boracay in the Philippines for vacation in January. My friend said he didn't think she could leave that soon afterwards. If someone could explain how this works would be awesome. Thank you.

Adjustment of Status takes longer now. Approximately 10 to 12months. EAD/AP takes 4 to 6months. Assuming she will enter US October, get married and files AOS soonest, very less likely she will get advance parole by January.

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Do more research on how the K-1 process works.  There is lots of information here on Visa Journey on how to do it and all the steps, wait times, etc.  The visa itself, from filing the K-1 petition until the beneficiary's interview abroad, takes about 10 months, and that's with no delays or problems along the way.  Then they enter the US after the interview, and marry within 90 days.  After marriage, you file more forms, include the marriage certificate, and apply for adjustment of status, also work authorization, and a travel permit called advanced parole.  AOS takes a year or more.  AP takes 4 to 6 months, so she cannot leave from the time she arrives with the K-1 until receiving the AP,  so depending on the date of the marriage after arrival, number of weeks to get the official marriage certificate, and how long it takes you to submit the documents, forms, fees, etc. for AOS/AP/EAD, all of this adds up to quite a long wait before she can leave the US and return.  So read and study more to learn all of this and plan ahead for long wait times and do not count on anything.  Good luck!

~~moved to working and travel during immigration from IMBRA~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
41 minutes ago, Notch8 said:

My Fiancé will be over here around October on a K1 visa

if all goes well. I was wanting to get married and go back to Boracay in the Philippines for vacation in January. My friend said he didn't think she could leave that soon afterwards. If someone could explain how this works would be awesome. Thank you.

I would advise you to read the guides and all the info on the USCIS website on the processes that are coming after she entered the country while you're waiting for K1. Being prepared is key for a good visa journey.

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

https://www.uscis.gov/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Diana & Justin said:

She would have to apply for AOS and EAD/AP as soon as you get married, she can't leave the country without AP or green card.

Well, she could leave. It's coming back that would be the problem ...

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.