Going through

Transferring money bank-to-bank

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My mother wants to give me my inheritance while still living.

Instead of carrying large amounts of cash when re-entering the US, I was planning on opening up a joint TD bank account in Canada with her, depositing the funds there, and then when back in the US open a TD account to transfer/withdraw the funds at a TD bank here (to then deposit into my existing Chase account).  Is this the correct way to do it?  Also, are large deposits held for a certain amount of time before being able to transfer from bank-to-bank?

My mother would not be added as an account holder on the US bank account---would I be able to make the transfer still?

Or is it just easier to put the funds into cheque, and declare it at the border?  I'm not sure what type of paper-trail I would be able to show as to the legitimacy of the funds, which is the only reason why I'm trying to avoid this route.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Have mom write you a check and you deposit it in your account.  KISS.  Keep it simple.

Why go through a joint account and transfer to a different account?  Why make something as simple as depositing a check into something suspicious?  

Timeline
8 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Have mom write you a check and you deposit it in your account.  KISS.  Keep it simple.

Why go through a joint account and transfer to a different account?  Why make something as simple as depositing a check into something suspicious?  

Only because I no longer have an active bank account in Canada.  

I have no problem declaring a cheque at the border---I just don't know what to expect in terms of how to prove the cheque came from legitimate sources (ie. a paper trail if asked for one at POE).

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

I would just have her write you a check. The check does come from a legitimate source: your mom. 

My only experience close to something like this is year and a half ago, my wife had some investment liquidated from our home country and wanted to transfer it to the US. So she just did a direct international wire transfer to our checking account. Just so happened that later that year, we were co-signing a mortgage for her sister. The bank brought up the large deposit from oversea. All I had to do was just send them a signed letter verifying that the money was from an investment oversea. No one from immigration ever said anything. Not exactly the same experience, but just the closest one I have.  

Edited by USS_Voyager

Timeline

You can deposit foreign cheques into most US bank accounts, although it takes some more time for clearing.

After we got married, some family members who didn’t attend (it was a super small ceremony) wanted to send us gifts and just wound up mailing us checks.  Even small checks for $100 CAD were held for so long.  

The other alternative would be for your mom’s bank (in Canada) to send an international wire to your US account.  Funds are available quicker that way.  Probably fees on both ends for that, and I have zero idea about the tax implications.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Inheritance is not taxable income. 

Good to know :)  Thanks!  I never know anything about tax stuff - I just assume there is a tax on everything, so that’s left up to my husband, and before I was married, my accountant brother did all that stuff for me.

20 minutes ago, Cryssiekins said:

Good to know :)  Thanks!  I never know anything about tax stuff - I just assume there is a tax on everything, so that’s left up to my husband, and before I was married, my accountant brother did all that stuff for me.

Yeah, I don't know much about taxes either, but very very generally speaking, you're taxed on your income (wages, salary, tips, .... ) at the bracketed rates (for example, the first $12,000 your earn is tax free, the next $12,000 is taxed at 15%, ... and so on) and capital gains (investment, for example, you bought a house for $100,000 and sold it for $120,000, so $20,000 is your gain, which is taxable at a flat rate of 15%)  --> That's why rich people get taxed less, most of their taxes are capital gains from their investments, not wages like we do. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Going through said:

My mother wants to give me my inheritance while still living.

Instead of carrying large amounts of cash when re-entering the US, I was planning on opening up a joint TD bank account in Canada with her, depositing the funds there, and then when back in the US open a TD account to transfer/withdraw the funds at a TD bank here (to then deposit into my existing Chase account).  Is this the correct way to do it?  Also, are large deposits held for a certain amount of time before being able to transfer from bank-to-bank?

My mother would not be added as an account holder on the US bank account---would I be able to make the transfer still?

Or is it just easier to put the funds into cheque, and declare it at the border?  I'm not sure what type of paper-trail I would be able to show as to the legitimacy of the funds, which is the only reason why I'm trying to avoid this route.

I received a true inheritance check from the U.K. (distributed from a law firm) and depositing into my US account was going to be quite expensive because of the currency exchange and other fees. Maybe Canadian to US is more streamlined in NY due to the closeness of the borders. I ended up mailing the check back to the UK because I still had an account there. Then I used Transferwise to send the money to my my US account. You might want to look into having your mother set up a Transferwise account to send directly to you. I am not sure how it works between two parties, so that's for you to research.

Also yours is not an inheritance because your mother did not die and bequeath it in a will. It is a gift from her.  You need to look at gift taxes, not that you will be taxed but to make sure you have no reporting requirements. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/gifts-from-foreign-person 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My Mom did this last year, and she also lives in Canada, I live in the US.  She went to her Canadian bank, had a "cashier's cheque" prepared for the total (big) amount, in US dollars, drawn on a US bank (most of the big Canadian banks can do this).  Then she mailed it to me, and I deposited it into my US bank account.  It did take a week or so to clear, but it was easy, no problems.  And because she is still living, it is considered a gift for US tax purposes, not subject to estate (inheritance) taxes.  You only have to file form 3520 with tax return to report the foreign gift to the IRS if the amount exceeds $100,000 (US).  Good luck! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

My Mom did this last year, and she also lives in Canada, I live in the US.  She went to her Canadian bank, had a "cashier's cheque" prepared for the total (big) amount, in US dollars, drawn on a US bank (most of the big Canadian banks can do this).  Then she mailed it to me, and I deposited it into my US bank account.  It did take a week or so to clear, but it was easy, no problems.  And because she is still living, it is considered a gift for US tax purposes, not subject to estate (inheritance) taxes.  You only have to file form 3520 with tax return to report the foreign gift to the IRS if the amount exceeds $100,000 (US).  Good luck! 

Thanks so much for the info!  I tried to convince her to do it in check form and mail it when she brought this all up earlier in the year, but she's paranoid about it getting lost (even with registered mail/tracking/Fedex/ what-have-you)...I will  be in Canada anyhow, so we'll likely end up doing a money transfer.  

I woulsnt suggest a cheque from Canada.  It wont be in USD and will take forever to clear.  A money order or such in USD would be easier.  Or do the transfer. You can choose a date with a good exhange rate.  Anything over 10k has to be declared regardless. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
6 hours ago, NikLR said:

I woulsnt suggest a cheque from Canada.  It wont be in USD and will take forever to clear.  A money order or such in USD would be easier.  Or do the transfer. You can choose a date with a good exhange rate.  Anything over 10k has to be declared regardless. 

So if I do the transfer, do you mean I let CBP know upon re-entry that "a money transfer in X amount has taken place/pending", and declare it on the customs form?  If I leave Canada after the transfer has already cleared through my US bank, do I still declare it?

I was under the assumption that declaring the funds at the border was only if I was carrying the amount on me (cash/cheque/money order)..since the bank would already be reporting it through a CTR and forwarding that report to the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCen) due to the amount.

Just want to make sure I'm doing this properly when I re-enter...thanks NikLR for further clarification, if you can.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I was under the assumption that declaring the funds at the border was only if I was carrying the amount on me (cash/cheque/money order)..since the bank would already be reporting it through a CTR and forwarding that report to the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCen) due to the amount.

This ^^ is correct.

You do nothing unless you are entering the country with it in your pocket. All transfers done by financial institutions are reported for you if they are over the threshold. 

So if I do the transfer, do you mean I let CBP know upon re-entry that "a money transfer in X amount has taken place/pending", and declare it on the customs form?  If I leave Canada after the transfer has already cleared through my US bank, do I still declare it?

Just want to make sure I'm doing this properly when I re-enter...thanks NikLR for further clarification, if you can.

No no only declare it if you have it in hand.  If you do a bank transfer or wired the money the financial institution would let cbp know.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.