Going through

Transferring money bank-to-bank

21 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, NikLR said:

I woulsnt suggest a cheque from Canada.  It wont be in USD and will take forever to clear.  A money order or such in USD would be easier.  Or do the transfer. You can choose a date with a good exhange rate.  Anything over 10k has to be declared regardless. 

Agreed, wire transfers are nice and quick once you have the initial account set up in Canada. Money orders in USD are also speedy but my bank has a 7 day hold anyway. Which is still relatively fast all things considered. Money orders or bank drafts in Canadian dollars can take a couple of months to clear and personal checks can take so long that I have forgotten about them by the time the money is deposited to my account.

This is all at Chase here in the US and I think it's worth checking with the US bank first to see what their policies are. I've had better luck in the past at other banks, and also I've had banks not even know how to handle it. It's not a good feeling to hand over a bank draft to someone when you get the impression that they have no idea what they are supposed to do with it. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Agreed, wire transfers are nice and quick once you have the initial account set up in Canada. Money orders in USD are also speedy but my bank has a 7 day hold anyway. Which is still relatively fast all things considered. Money orders or bank drafts in Canadian dollars can take a couple of months to clear and personal checks can take so long that I have forgotten about them by the time the money is deposited to my account.

This is all at Chase here in the US and I think it's worth checking with the US bank first to see what their policies are. I've had better luck in the past at other banks, and also I've had banks not even know how to handle it. It's not a good feeling to hand over a bank draft to someone when you get the impression that they have no idea what they are supposed to do with it. 

I think my mother is going to put it in US funds and transfer it from Scotiabank...I use Chase as well.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline

Ok so my mother just mentioned to me that she is not going to do a bank transfer under any circumstances (she doesn't believe this is a "legal way" of doing this...I know, I know....), and that she needs to go through a lawyer to do a cashier cheque (in CAN funds) because she wants her own "proof" from the lawyer that the funds were given to me (something to do with her will, she said).  She is planning on getting some sort of statement for me from the lawyer about how the money is not coming from nefarious means....which, honestly, I don't think would make an iota of a difference at customs?

So now when I reenter through US CPB, what exactly do I need to show when declaring the funds, so that the cheque is not seized?  I know about declaring it on the customs form while on the plane, but not sure exactly what the next steps are afterwards..

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, Going through said:

So now when I reenter through US CPB, what exactly do I need to show when declaring the funds, so that the cheque is not seized?  I know about declaring it on the customs form while on the plane, but not sure exactly what the next steps are afterwards..

There's a form https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/~/currency-and-monetary-instruments---amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave

Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments" FinCEN 105 (former CF 4790).

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

There's a form https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/~/currency-and-monetary-instruments---amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave

Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments" FinCEN 105 (former CF 4790).

Thanks Wuozopo---I know about filling out the FinCen (I mentioned it earlier in this thread)...what I'm asking is what exactly can I show (if anything) to prove to CBP the check/money came from legal/legitimate source, if asked  "why do you have this amount of money on you?"  

Is there a chance of the cheque being seized even if I *did* prove it came from legitimate sources?  Is the decision to seize funds entirely based on discretion (like many other decisions by CBP), or only based on whether it is declared properly or not?  I've never done anything like this before so a bit of a loss here as to how it all works.  

I've tried searching on google in answer to my questions, however I'm only finding information on declaring it and "stating" to CBP that it comes from legitimate sources...not how to show it does, if questioned further.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

You said "I know about declaring it on the customs form while on the plane" which it is on, but you didn't mention filling out the second declaration form.

I don't know anything about if they will ask. Do you look suspicious or like a drug lord?  Will your name pop up as a bad guy? I would never hand carry that much money so no experience here. 

There is going to be some paperwork from a lawyer, right? Seems like that would cover it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.