gurutogo

Missed I-94 deadline - best option for SSN

10 posts in this topic

Hey folks in all of our back and forth trying to get our wedding completed before the AOJ process we completely forgot about the SSN and unfortunately when we went to apply today for the SSN our I-94 date was 13 days from expiration so she was rejected for a SSN application. So we need to figure out the best way to get a SSN now and preferably as quickly as possible. What is the best course of action to take at this point? We are getting ready to file for our AOJ but unfortunately in Iowa that process takes a year. My wife wants to volunteer with the schools but that requires a background check and a SSN. My wife is a K1 visa recipient. Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

I think you have to await your EAD or green card

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, gurutogo said:

Does the EAD get sent automatically or do we need to apply for it and pay additional fees? Thank you!

It is a separate form, however you don't need to pay again if you are applying to aos

You apply together with AOS, if you already applied to AOS you can send a copy of your noa1 together with the application for EAD so the fees can be waived. Be aware that It takes about 5-6 months to get EAD right now.

Edited by Naes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, gurutogo said:

Does the EAD get sent automatically or do we need to apply for it and pay additional fees? Thank you!

You have to apply, but there is no additional fee as long as it is filed with the 485.

Do a quick search of the guides here.

Follow the guides on VJ and apply for your EAD + AP with the AOS application. The fees for these additional forms will be waived. You're going to have a longer wait unfortunately as they are ever increasing for the EAD. Sadly your window for obtaining the SSN is closed until that EAD arrives.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

All of the above is true. 

Additional: there is no fast way now. Because you waited you will only receive the SSN:

1) if you apply for it on the I765 and wait the 4 to 6 months for the I765 to be approved. The SSN will come a few days after the EAD in the mail. 

2) not apply for it on the I765 and just wait for the I765 to be approved (4 to 6 months). Then go into an SSA office and apply for the SSN then.

One is easier. They both take about 4 to 6 month depending on how fast you go into SSA if you choose option 2.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
1 hour ago, gurutogo said:

Hey folks in all of our back and forth trying to get our wedding completed before the AOJ process we completely forgot about the SSN and unfortunately when we went to apply today for the SSN our I-94 date was 13 days from expiration so she was rejected for a SSN application. So we need to figure out the best way to get a SSN now and preferably as quickly as possible. What is the best course of action to take at this point? We are getting ready to file for our AOJ but unfortunately in Iowa that process takes a year. My wife wants to volunteer with the schools but that requires a background check and a SSN. My wife is a K1 visa recipient. Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

Just a quick heads up, since everyone already told you how EAD works :) Make sure your wife (I guess she's the beneficiary) doesn't do any volunteering where she could get paid (usually profit organizations) before her EAD comes in the mail. Volunteering in animal shelters, libraries etc (non profit) is fine and encouraged

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.