TCKB-07

This May be a Bit Complicated

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
6 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Jumping the broom was not illegal.  Polygamy is illegal. 

Have him tell the CO that he wants the B-2 to come marry you while he is already married.  Since you think it's okay, then there shouldn't be any problems.

You're completely missing my point. It was an analogy to show that it was an accepted marriage amongst the slaves, but not by the government. The ceremony we would be performing in the US would not be recognized as a marriage, even if he weren't married prior. It is considered a marriage in Ghana though. 

This is why I am ASKING questions before I make any mistakes. No one is intentionally trying to defraud. Not everyone wants to party crash the US.  I am trying to leave the US as do many retired veterans. He wants the B2 to come visit and meet my family. We discussed the possibility to get married at that time, vs. later because it's more traditional and cost affective. It's weighing possibilities to make the best decision. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
3 minutes ago, TCKB-07 said:

You're completely missing my point. It was an analogy to show that it was an accepted marriage amongst the slaves, but not by the government. The ceremony we would be performing in the US would not be recognized as a marriage, even if he weren't married prior. It is considered a marriage in Ghana though. 

This is why I am ASKING questions before I make any mistakes. No one is intentionally trying to defraud. Not everyone wants to party crash the US.  I am trying to leave the US as do many retired veterans. He wants the B2 to come visit and meet my family. We discussed the possibility to get married at that time, vs. later because it's more traditional and cost affective. It's weighing possibilities to make the best decision. 

You're the one that is completely missing the point.

The problem is you are using very specific terminology which has a very clear definition in the USA but less so in Ghana. In the USA there is only one form of marriage - the legal union of 2 people who are exclusively committed to each other. It is a legal process and in the USA it’s very black and white - you are either legally married or you are not. Everything else - jumping the broom, hand-fasting, promise ceremonies, engagements, polygamous unions, etc have no legal standing are not considered marriages. 

In Ghana it’s different and there are “shades of grey” when it comes to marriage. If you come on to a US immigration forum and talk about “marriage” in the USA it is assumed you are talking about a legal process here with a license and certificate. Don’t use the word “marriage” here if it’s not that. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

20 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Polygamous marriages are not valid for benefits.  

If the original marriage is not even considered a marriage in the US (regardless of being polygamous or monogamous), he divorced and we remarried via a recognizable way according to the US. I'm aware benefits would not be authorized, I was HR in the army and very well aware of how DEERS works. 

Ultimately, it is unlikely he would even get the B-1/2 visa from Ghana anyway.

2 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

Traditional marriages can get you in a bind at the embassy. The officers know what local rules are.  In Nigeria paying bride price can make you too married for a K1 because it is a obligation that makes you committed .  So a traditional marriage in the US could cause issues at the embassy.   The best path is , no marriage until the first marriage is over then get married  If you have a traditional marriage while he is still married and you get a officer with a bad mood they could demand you terminate ( annul )  the first commitment and then remarry.  

Okay, I see. Thank you so much. You've been most helpful. I will revert to my original plan to marry next year in Ghana and he can get divorced in between if he finds it worth the benefits of being able to get US citizenship down the line. 

3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Ultimately, it is unlikely he would even get the B-1/2 visa from Ghana anyway.

Indeed. If I were the OP I wouldn’t bet the farm on this wedding/party/celebration happening anywhere on US soil. 

1 minute ago, TCKB-07 said:

Okay, I see. Thank you so much. You've been most helpful. I will revert to my original plan to marry next year in Ghana and he can get divorced in between if he finds it worth the benefits of being able to get US citizenship down the line. 

That sounds like marriage fraud. So he would only divorce his current wife and legally marry you to get US citizenship?

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

9 minutes ago, JFH said:

The problem is you are using very specific terminology which has a very clear definition in the USA but less so in Ghana. In the USA there is only one form of marriage - the legal union of 2 people who are exclusively committed to each other. It is a legal process and in the USA it’s very black and white - you are either legally married or you are not. Everything else - jumping the broom, hand-fasting, promise ceremonies, engagements, polygamous unions, etc have no legal standing are not considered marriages. 

In Ghana it’s different and there are “shades of grey” when it comes to marriage. If you come on to a US immigration forum and talk about “marriage” in the USA it is assumed you are talking about a legal process here with a license and certificate. Don’t use the word “marriage” here if it’s not that. 

Understood. My mistake. You're right and I have been trying to explain, unsuccessfully, that it's viewed different. I'm not well versed in any of it, so I did the best I could with explaining. I appreciate you taking the time to understand where I was coming from and where I was going waaay wrong. 

5 minutes ago, JFH said:

Indeed. If I were the OP I wouldn’t bet the farm on this wedding/party/celebration happening anywhere on US soil. 

That sounds like marriage fraud. So he would only divorce his current wife and legally marry you to get US citizenship?

No, the talks of divorce have already been happening. He is not seeking US citizenship either. He is content and no desire to immigrate to the US. It is me that is trying to look at all possibilities down the line. My plan was to move to Ghana before I met him, but I like to have contingency plans. I would hate for an uninformed decision I made today to affect me down the line. This is why I am asking. 

20 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

You're the one that is completely missing the point.

No I am getting some points, not all. I am saying you are missing MY point when I made the analogy. I was looking for the grey, I was getting black and white answers. However, I think I have the answers I was looking for. Thanks. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How can you have a contingency plan for marrying somebody who is married.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, TCKB-07 said:

No I am getting some points, not all. I am saying you are missing MY point when I made the analogy. I was looking for the grey, I was getting black and white answers. However, I think I have the answers I was looking for. Thanks. 

With US immigration, there really is no grey.  It is yes/no.  You have to abide by the rules to succeed, and it is expensive in both time and money.  Just the way it is....

36 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

If he got divorced and you were able to legally marry him, you could potentially bring him over on a spousal visa, and he could get an SSN and be a beneficiary to your benefits.

Otherwise, your scenario is not legit.

Okay. Thank you for your reply. My only desire is to do this legit. I have too much to lose to potentially get caught up with fraud. 

5 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

With US immigration, there really is no grey.  It is yes/no.  You have to abide by the rules to succeed, and it is expensive in both time and money.  Just the way it is....

yes, I am realizing how black and white immigration laws are now. Time and money, we have...I just don't want to make any ignorant mistakes. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.