ShadowKeeper

I-485 caused my AOS to be rejected

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I thought I’d share this to help anyone that’s filing their I-485. I downloaded the only form of the UCSIS website and went over getting everything to my satisfaction which took a couple weeks I wasn’t worried about my fiancées status as I had a month left before she would become out of status. The top of the form said it expired in 06/30/2019, but the bottom had a code of 06/26/17 when I sent them in on December 13th after preparing it on the night of December 12th and sent it off on 12-13-2018. I knew their were holidays and the government shutdown as I waited to get my results. I finally called on January 4th and found out I had been rejected because the new code at the bottom is now 12/13/17 and this was rejected on 12/20/2018 and they mailed the rejection which I never received. I called about it and found out that I should receive my paperwork during the next 30 days and all my original records are now tied up in the mail. I e-mauled the lock box about this and they will be getting back to me in about 2 weeks. This has caused me to lose time on my filing of the case and I’m not even sure if I’ll get my papers back as I never received my rejection letter yet. 

Timeline

I was told to wait by the level 2 officer I called to wait for the results to make sure there weren’t any other issues. How can you send a non certified copy for your fiancées birth copy, which came from her country that she no longer lives I ?  And no they didn’t cash it are let me know. From the date code it looks like they changed the form the day I mailed it. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
11 hours ago, ShadowKeeper said:

I was told to wait by the level 2 officer I called to wait for the results to make sure there weren’t any other issues. How can you send a non certified copy for your fiancées birth copy, which came from her country that she no longer lives I ?  And no they didn’t cash it are let me know. From the date code it looks like they changed the form the day I mailed it. 

They rarely ask for originals in an application, copy's should be enough. We applied for AOS in September 2018 and send a copy of all the official documents, that was fine (we're waiting for our interview date right now). They usually ask you to bring originals to the interview. If they really want originals, they will send you a RFE of some kind requesting that

Edited by C90

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, ShadowKeeper said:

Seconding @C90, I sent literal photocopies of everything, not certified or notarized in any way. I just made color copies, including my foreign birth certificate. The translation I got online for like $10 and they sent it by email, printed that out with the translator affidavit, no issues. 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Timeline

That’s nice to know now thank you. I wish they put in the guide here that the valid date on the top means nothing and it’s the revision number is all they care about. Mainly why I posted this so it doesn’t happen to someone else. 

Edited by ShadowKeeper

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
On 1/9/2019 at 7:30 PM, ShadowKeeper said:

I thought I’d share this to help anyone that’s filing their I-485. I downloaded the only form of the UCSIS website and went over getting everything to my satisfaction which took a couple weeks I wasn’t worried about my fiancées status as I had a month left before she would become out of status. The top of the form said it expired in 06/30/2019, but the bottom had a code of 06/26/17 when I sent them in on December 13th after preparing it on the night of December 12th and sent it off on 12-13-2018. I knew their were holidays and the government shutdown as I waited to get my results. I finally called on January 4th and found out I had been rejected because the new code at the bottom is now 12/13/17 and this was rejected on 12/20/2018 and they mailed the rejection which I never received. I called about it and found out that I should receive my paperwork during the next 30 days and all my original records are now tied up in the mail. I e-mauled the lock box about this and they will be getting back to me in about 2 weeks. This has caused me to lose time on my filing of the case and I’m not even sure if I’ll get my papers back as I never received my rejection letter yet. 

hmm weird that your form had a different date on the bottom because i sent mine before yours(i sent mine 11/29) and it had the 12/13/17 on the bottom, when did you download the form to your computer?

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
On 1/9/2019 at 7:30 PM, ShadowKeeper said:

I applied in July, checked the dates on the form I sent in and they are 06/30/2019 and 12/13/17.

So I am not sure where did you get that form because that form didn't change since July.

Out of curiosity just downloaded the I-485 from their website and the dates are still the same, so they didn't update the form AFAIK at least since July.

Timeline
On 1/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, ShadowKeeper said:

ShadowKeeper

On 1/11/2019 at 1:57 PM, ineedadisplayname said:

I applied in July, checked the dates on the form I sent in and they are 06/30/2019 and 12/13/17.

So I am not sure where did you get that form because that form didn't change since July.

Out of curiosity just downloaded the I-485 from their website and the dates are still the same, so they didn't update the form AFAIK at least since July.

I just checked and you’re probably correct. I had an I-485 form from when I filled out the I-129 in my folder I was working from on my computer and my I-864 was the form that was out of date for expiration on the top of the form. So I downloaded it, and when I checked my I-485 form it said it was valid until 06-30-2019. In all my research I never came across there needing to be a correct version number when the expiration date was still good on the top of the form. It’s my mistake but my post was to help someone else from making the same mistake and pay attention to version numbers, no matter what the expiration date says at the top of the form. This cost me valuable time and from the looks of it I haven’t received a rejection letter and probably won’t get my original packet back with some original documents or my form of payment in it than I will have to cancel, plus made for a lot of headaches. Thank you for your help. 

Edited by ShadowKeeper

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 1/9/2019 at 9:38 PM, ShadowKeeper said:

Send copies of the certified copy.  I made that mistake, sent an original.  But I had two certified copies.  Saved us.  We needed that certified original.  I never mailed an original (anything) again.

At your interview, the IO will have your paper file.  You can trade it then.

They’re kind of retentive about “version number”.  Hate to see this happen - it’s a delay for nothing.

Edited by Nitas_man

I am preparing my AOS packet for my husband now and have printed and filled out the I 485 form. I noticed it has the date 12/13/2017 on the bottom and expiration is June 2019. Will this be a problem beings the date on the bottom of the form is dated in 2017 and it is 2019 or does that date just mean this form is the updated version? Any help would be appreciated! 

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 1/17/2019 at 1:53 PM, SJ_Ulloa said:

I am preparing my AOS packet for my husband now and have printed and filled out the I 485 form. I noticed it has the date 12/13/2017 on the bottom and expiration is June 2019. Will this be a problem beings the date on the bottom of the form is dated in 2017 and it is 2019 or does that date just mean this form is the updated version? Any help would be appreciated! 

If you do to where you download the form it will tell you what version number you should have. They have to match, its very confusing as the date for it to be expired really had no meaning only that it matches the form version at the bottom and the website. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.