20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Guys,

My fiance and I decided to do-it-ourselves to file for my adjustment of status. Our previous immigration lawyer (who worked to process my K1 visa) fee is just way higher than what we expected, specially with the  USCIS filling fee too. All is good so far though.

I have prepared the following:

• Cover Letter
  • G-1145
  • I-485
  • G-325A
  • I-864
  • I-693
  • I-765

Supporting Documents

• Passport Bio Page (photocopy)
  • Passport Visa Page (photocopy)
  • Birth Certificate
  • Most Recent I-94 and Travel History (printed)
  • I-129F USCIS Approval Letter (scanned copy - my fiance lost the original one! thankfully he scanned it and sent it to me thru email before)
  • Marriage Certificate

I have also prepared I-131 (Advance Parole) but I wasn't sure what to write on "Reason". Will it be acceptable if I write "To visit family"? And for the "Country to visit" I only wrote "Philippines".

I was just wondering, when the time comes, can I still travel anywhere aside from Philippines? or is it something I need to include in advance?

TBH, I am still thinking about submitting this since I am following US naming standard, and I want to avoid questioning. 😣

Another question, do I need to attached a copy of my Vaccination from St. Luke's Manila as supporting document to my I-693?

Does my supporting documents such as Marriage and Birth Certificate needs to be original or can I send copies instead?

Lastly, since I decided to follow US naming for now which is (Maiden first & middle Name (as used in visa) + husband's surname) will it be okay to write my married surname on all the forms instead of my maiden surname?

That's all I can think for now. Please let me know if I missed any form/s or supporting documents.

Thanks in advance!

10 minutes ago, babybabycakes said:

• Cover Letter
  • G-1145
  • I-485
  • G-325A
  • I-864
  • I-693
  • I-765

Be wary on relying on guides and videos that mention G-325A as the info might be outdated. G-325A is not needed after 06/09/2017: https://web.archive.org/web/20170427053222/https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

Timeline
12 minutes ago, vivostu said:

Be wary on relying on guides and videos that mention G-325A as the info might be outdated. G-325A is not needed after 06/09/2017: https://web.archive.org/web/20170427053222/https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

Noted. Thank you!

CORRECTION BTW: I have I-797C not I-129F. Sorry about that.

Edited by babybabycakes

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
28 minutes ago, babybabycakes said:

Hello Guys,

My fiance and I decided to do-it-ourselves to file for my adjustment of status. Our previous immigration lawyer (who worked to process my K1 visa) fee is just way higher than what we expected, specially with the  USCIS filling fee too. All is good so far though.

• Cover Letter
  • G-1145
  • I-485
  • G-325A
  • I-864
  • I-693
  • I-765

Supporting Documents

• Birth Certificate
  • I-129F USCIS Approval Letter (scanned copy - my fiance lost the original one! thankfully he scanned it and sent it to me thru email before)
  • Marriage Certificate

I have also prepared I-131 (Advance Parole) but I wasn't sure what to write on "Reason". Will it be acceptable if I write "To visit family"? And for the "Country to visit" I only wrote "Philippines".

I was just wondering, when the time comes, can I still travel anywhere aside from Philippines? or is it something I need to include in advance?

TBH, I am still thinking about submitting this since I am following US naming standard, and I want to avoid questioning. 😣

Another question, do I need to attached 

Lastly, since I decided to follow US naming for now which is (Maiden first & middle Name (as used in visa) + husband's surname) will it be okay to write my married surname on all the forms instead of my maiden surname?

That's all I can think for now. Please let me know if I missed any form/s or supporting documents.

Thanks in advance!

You can use your maiden surname as your middle name like we do in the Philippines. Just make sure to be consistent in writing in all forms you’re submitting.

3 minutes ago, babybabycakes said:

CORRECTION BTW: I have I-797C not I-129F. I am confused what's the difference between the 2 😑

That might be the I-129F receipt notice. Approval notices are usually sent on I-797:

noa2.jpg

What does it say for "Notice Type"?

32 minutes ago, babybabycakes said:

The I-131 is a multi-use form. For your case putting "To visit family" and only "Philippines" is fine; travel to other countries is also allowed in your case (regardless if they were or weren't listed at I-131 filing).

Timeline
2 minutes ago, M&JB said:

You can use your maiden surname as your middle name like we do in the Philippines. Just make sure to be consistent in writing in all forms you’re submitting.

Hi! I've read so many blogs, posts and comments about this matter. It is very confusing. I think it works for some, and didn't for others.

And they said it's really up to you. That's why I decided to use whatever is written on my visa except the surname since I am taking my husband's. :)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, vivostu said:

That might be the I-129F receipt notice. Approval notices are usually sent on I-797:

noa2.jpg

What does it say for "Notice Type"?

The I-131 is a multi-use form. For your case putting "To visit family" and only "Philippines" is fine; travel to other countries is also allowed in your case (regardless if they were or weren't listed at I-131 filing).

Mine says "Notice Type: Receipt". Should I still attach it as supporting document?

And thank you for your reply about the I-131 :)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, babybabycakes said:

Hello Guys,

• Cover Letter
  • G-1145
  • I-485
  • G-325A   :no:  
  • I-693    COMPLETED BY AUTHORIZED CIVIL SURGEON!!!!
  • I-765
  • I-864 !!!

Supporting Documents

• Birth Certificate   COPY IS FINE
  • I-129F USCIS Approval Letter (scanned copy - my fiance lost the original one! thankfully he scanned it and sent it to me thru email before)   THIS IS YOUR (copy) NOA2 from your I-129F approval
  • Marriage Certificate   certified copy from the country recorder

Another question, do I need to attached a copy of my Vaccination from St. Luke's Manila as supporting document to my I-693?

Does my supporting documents such as Marriage and Birth Certificate needs to be original or can I send copies instead?  COPY IS FINE

Lastly, since I decided to follow US naming for now which is (Maiden first & middle Name (as used in visa) + husband's surname) will it be okay to write my married surname on all the forms instead of my maiden surname?   ABSOLUTELY USE YOUR MARRIED NAME ON ALL DOCUMENTS!4

Thanks in advance!

AOS can easily be done without an attorney .. USCIS states that on their website even. ;)  

Advance parole is more so an emergency travel document to allow entry back into the USA.     "To visit family" would be fine for a reason     I would not look at the AP card as a general international travel card.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-485instr.pdf   <<  Follow this for what is required

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485Checklist

You must submit the I-864 along with supporting documents (most recent tax return & W2) showing your husband's income meet the I-864P poverty guidelines

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, babybabycakes said:

Mine says "Notice Type: Receipt". Should I still attach it as supporting document?

And thank you for your reply about the I-131 :)

You need the APPROVAL NOTICE .. this is the 2nd I-797C received .... once USCIC approved the petition .  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

7 hours ago, babybabycakes said:

Hello Guys,

• Cover Letter
  • G-1145
  • I-485
  • G-325A
  • I-864
  • I-693
  • I-765

Supporting Documents

• Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate

Does my supporting documents such as Marriage and Birth Certificate needs to be original or can I send copies instead?

Thanks in advance!

AOS it would be silly to use a immigration lawyer

If you can't fill it out then life will be difficult for you in the USA,  It is basic and I would say  anyone with at least 6th grade education can fill it out.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

9 hours ago, babybabycakes said:

Hi! I've read so many blogs, posts and comments about this matter. It is very confusing. I think it works for some, and didn't for others.

And they said it's really up to you. That's why I decided to use whatever is written on my visa except the surname since I am taking my husband's. :)

Follow the information that @Hank_ has posted. It's the most current and correct information. You can't go wrong following his instructions.

What ever naming convection you used for your marriage is the name you should continue to use going forward as that is now your legal name. Your goal should be to eventually have all your ID's including your passport in your "new" name. It will just make your life easier. No more "do I do it this way" or "do I do it that way" etc. which will end the argument that is going around in your head. :thumbs:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
7 hours ago, Hank_ said:

You need the APPROVAL NOTICE .. this is the 2nd I-797C received .... once USCIC approved the petition .  

Hi! My fiancé didn’t received any letter from USCIS aside from the receipt, and a letter from NVC for my case #. Mmm...

Timeline
6 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

AOS it would be silly to use a immigration lawyer

If you can't fill it out then life will be difficult for you in the USA,  It is basic and I would say  anyone with at least 6th grade education can fill it out.

Well, I wont be quickly to judge other people who used an attorney. They just might have so much extra money to spend. Who knows? 🤷🏻‍♀️

But yes, an immigration lawyer is not a must that’s why I am actually doing most of it myself except the affidavit of support form to be filled out by my American husband. And we are mostly done. Just need to recheck everything now. Thanks!

57 minutes ago, babybabycakes said:

Hi! My fiancé didn’t received any letter from USCIS aside from the receipt, and a letter from NVC for my case #. Mmm...

Ours too..NVC letter is acceptable..we didnt get RFE..but in our cover letter we explain why we dont have the approval letter..i could send you my cover letter for our aos if you like.

15 hours ago, babybabycakes said:

Hello Guys,

• Cover Letter
  • G-1145
  • I-485
  • G-325A
  • I-864
  • I-693
  • I-765

Supporting Documents

• Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate

You dont need I-693 if you already done DS-3025 vaccination record from st lukes..its all you need for evidence of medical record

15 hours ago, babybabycakes said:

Thanks in advance!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.