4 posts in this topic

Hi,

My husband (previously k-1 fiancé) is applying to adjust his status now that we are married. I was reading on the USCIS website that one of the documents to send in is copy of police or court records of criminal charges, arrests, convictions (if applicable). He hasn't been arrested or convicted of anything, and got a copy of his record from his police department before he went to interview for his visa. Does he have to receive another one to submit with the AOS documents? Because that would be virtually impossible since he's not in his country anymore and he gave the copy of his record when he arrived to immigration at the airport and he did not receive it back. So, is it necessary to have one for the AOS?

3 hours ago, SPaul said:

Hi,

My husband (previously k-1 fiancé) is applying to adjust his status now that we are married. I was reading on the USCIS website that one of the documents to send in is copy of police or court records of criminal charges, arrests, convictions (if applicable). He hasn't been arrested or convicted of anything, and got a copy of his record from his police department before he went to interview for his visa. Does he have to receive another one to submit with the AOS documents? Because that would be virtually impossible since he's not in his country anymore and he gave the copy of his record when he arrived to immigration at the airport and he did not receive it back. So, is it necessary to have one for the AOS?

To apply for AOS you do not need to submit another police record check like you did for the K1 interview regardless if you have a criminal record or not.

What you DO submit with AOS is certifed police arrest reports or police incident reports and certified final court dispositions for all and any crimes IF you have answered "yes" to any question in Part 8 questions 25 - 45 of the I485.

If you do NOT have a criminal record at all, you would have checked "no" in Part 8 questions 25 to 45 of the I485 and not have to submit anything.

Read the instructions on the I485 in Part 8 "Criminal Acts and Violations". 

Edited by K1visaHopeful

2 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

To apply for AOS you do not need to submit another police record check like you did for the K1 interview regardless if you have a criminal record or not.

What you DO submit with AOS is certifed police arrest reports or police incident reports and certified final court dispositions for all and any crimes IF you have answered "yes" to any question in Part 8 questions 25 - 45 of the I485.

If you do NOT have a criminal record at all, you would have checked "no" in Part 8 questions 25 to 45 of the I485 and not have to submit anything.

Read the instructions on the I485 in Part 8 "Criminal Acts and Violations". 

Thank you. That makes more sense

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Most of the posts in this thread have been removed for these reasons:  wrong information, arguing in support of wrong information, assaulting a member who provided correct information, and quoting such messages.  Administrative action has been applied.

Success during this immigration process relies on the ability to read accurately, interpret literally, and answer completely and honestly.  This also applies to answering other members' questions.  The original poster (OP) started her thread in the proper forum and clearly stated her situation in her first line of text; no one who read carefully would have had any difficulty understanding what phase of the process she was referring to.

In addition, one click to see the OP's timeline would have clearly shown her stage of the process.

Apologies to the OP and to the respondent who politely provided complete, accurate information (and whose post remains).

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.