refugee

Ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen jailed for three years

120 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, refugee said:

So Michael Cohen lied so he would go to prison? What about the tape where we hear the President directing the payments to these women?

No he lied to get a reduced sentence for all of his other crimes. The payments as distasteful as they might be are not illegal according to the former FEC commissioner and others who are knowledgeable about the subject.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

1 hour ago, Randyandyuni said:

I am not so jaded, some are good, some are bad, some are neither good or bad, probably in proportion to society in general.

Perhaps I am a little jaded due to personal experience with attorneys and it might be a bit much to say all of them are crooks though a vast majority are in one way or another in my opinion. It is not totally their fault in some cases to be fair. They are put in a tough spot when they have to choose between vigorously defending their client or not angering a judge they appear in front of regularly who could make life difficult for them with their future clients.

I will tell you about a couple of the crooked attorneys I have seen or dealt with personally. The first one was when I had to sue Wells Fargo to get them to correct some errors on my credit report. The situation got so bad I had about $15k in FCRA and FDCPA violations racked up against them. I was only suing to get my credit report fixed and not for the money (though it was a nice added bonus). I did most of the upfront work on the case myself then decided to look for an attorney to handle the settlement negotiations. I found one who took my case and said he could probably get me about $20k. A month or so later he emails me to tell me he is friends with the Wells Fargo attorneys and he is confident he can get me a good settlement and my credit fixed. A couple days later he emails me back to try to talk me into settling for $1000 plus legal fees and he said Wells Fargo would be unable to fix my credit report. I told him that's unacceptable and he kept insisting I take the deal. After him flat out refusing to try to negotiate a better deal I filed a bar grievence against him (good way to get an attorney's malpractice insurance premium jacked up or even canceled in some cases if they are misbehaving). After that he agreed to release me from the contract we had and I negotiated the case myself. I ended up getting a $5k check overnighted to me along with printouts of my 3 corrected credit reports. I probably could have went to trial (or got a better deal before it got to that point) and got more money but my main objective was to get my credit fixed. In this case the crooked attorney wanted to get paid for minimal effort and move on to the next client. My friend was not so lucky.

My friend has a felony now (for something that is becoming legal in more and more states if you catch my drift) because of a crooked attorney who refused to call out a crooked judge on multiple due process violations. The judge who presided over the case was the same judge who signed the search warrant that allowed police to find the contraband in his house. The judge admitted on the record in open court that there wasn't sufficient probable cause for the warrant and he shouldn't have signed it but let the case proceed anyways. There were other due process violations I won't get into. My friends attorney remained silent through all of this then insisted my friend take a plea deal. Keep in mind this wasn't some bottom feeding public defender. This attorney wasn't cheap and had a reputation (perhaps unearned) for defending people in these types of cases. My friend later found out this attorney has a lot of cases in front of this judge and doesn't want to get on his bad side.

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on attorneys and appologize if I offended anyone. However these are far from the only two cases that I have dealt with or seen crooked attorneys. Honestly I have yet to deal with an attorney who isn't crooked. I'm sure they are out there but I have never seen one so perhaps you can understand my position on the subject. All of this is besides the point I tried and failed to make which is that Trump's attorney being crooked doesn't automatically make him crooked any more than my attorney being crooked makes me crooked.

I have an attorney brother, several attorney friends they are just regular people. Just my experience, we all have different experiences

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
2 hours ago, jg121783 said:

No he lied to get a reduced sentence for all of his other crimes. The payments as distasteful as they might be are not illegal according to the former FEC commissioner and others who are knowledgeable about the subject.

So you have one retired FEC member and who says this is not a crime?

Edited by refugee

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

Timeline
1 hour ago, jg121783 said:

Perhaps I am a little jaded due to personal experience with attorneys and it might be a bit much to say all of them are crooks though a vast majority are in one way or another in my opinion. It is not totally their fault in some cases to be fair. They are put in a tough spot when they have to choose between vigorously defending their client or not angering a judge they appear in front of regularly who could make life difficult for them with their future clients.

I will tell you about a couple of the crooked attorneys I have seen or dealt with personally. The first one was when I had to sue Wells Fargo to get them to correct some errors on my credit report. The situation got so bad I had about $15k in FCRA and FDCPA violations racked up against them. I was only suing to get my credit report fixed and not for the money (though it was a nice added bonus). I did most of the upfront work on the case myself then decided to look for an attorney to handle the settlement negotiations. I found one who took my case and said he could probably get me about $20k. A month or so later he emails me to tell me he is friends with the Wells Fargo attorneys and he is confident he can get me a good settlement and my credit fixed. A couple days later he emails me back to try to talk me into settling for $1000 plus legal fees and he said Wells Fargo would be unable to fix my credit report. I told him that's unacceptable and he kept insisting I take the deal. After him flat out refusing to try to negotiate a better deal I filed a bar grievence against him (good way to get an attorney's malpractice insurance premium jacked up or even canceled in some cases if they are misbehaving). After that he agreed to release me from the contract we had and I negotiated the case myself. I ended up getting a $5k check overnighted to me along with printouts of my 3 corrected credit reports. I probably could have went to trial (or got a better deal before it got to that point) and got more money but my main objective was to get my credit fixed. In this case the crooked attorney wanted to get paid for minimal effort and move on to the next client. My friend was not so lucky.

My friend has a felony now (for something that is becoming legal in more and more states if you catch my drift) because of a crooked attorney who refused to call out a crooked judge on multiple due process violations. The judge who presided over the case was the same judge who signed the search warrant that allowed police to find the contraband in his house. The judge admitted on the record in open court that there wasn't sufficient probable cause for the warrant and he shouldn't have signed it but let the case proceed anyways. There were other due process violations I won't get into. My friends attorney remained silent through all of this then insisted my friend take a plea deal. Keep in mind this wasn't some bottom feeding public defender. This attorney wasn't cheap and had a reputation (perhaps unearned) for defending people in these types of cases. My friend later found out this attorney has a lot of cases in front of this judge and doesn't want to get on his bad side.

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on attorneys and appologize if I offended anyone. However these are far from the only two cases that I have dealt with or seen crooked attorneys. Honestly I have yet to deal with an attorney who isn't crooked. I'm sure they are out there but I have never seen one so perhaps you can understand my position on the subject. All of this is besides the point I tried and failed to make which is that Trump's attorney being crooked doesn't automatically make him crooked any more than my attorney being crooked makes me crooked.

Well, if our entire legal system from defense attorneys to supreme court justices is corrupt, our entire society is kind of ,well, screwed

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

29 minutes ago, refugee said:

Well, if our entire legal system from defense attorneys to supreme court justices is corrupt, our entire society is kind of ,well, screwed

It is a messed up system but I don't think it's as bad as you are describing. From what I can see most of the outright corrupt judges are at the lower levels. In the appeals courts and higher it's kind of a mix of decent judges, corrupt judges and politically motivated judges.

Timeline
1 hour ago, jg121783 said:

It is a messed up system but I don't think it's as bad as you are describing. From what I can see most of the outright corrupt judges are at the lower levels. In the appeals courts and higher it's kind of a mix of decent judges, corrupt judges and politically motivated judges.

I don't think it is messed up to any significant degree or life in America would be more messed up.

Edited by refugee

5 hours ago, refugee said:

I don't think it is messed up to any significant degree or life in America would be more messed up.

If you believe that you must have limited experience dealing with municipal and county courts. Either that or the corruption in my state is unusually high compared to the nation as a whole. The worst I have seen is in traffic cases I have taken to court and seen others take to court. Your rights and even state statutes are totally disregarded to give judges and prosecutors the outcome they want. Maybe most people don't notice because 90% of people pay their tickets and move on whether they are guilty or not. I have had to file judicial conduct complaints and even criminal charges against judges to get them to rule properly. At the appeals level and higher judges tend to rule properly more often because their position is more of a political position. Municipal judges tend to get very upset and red faced when you prove in court that an officer perjured themself when making false allegations against you. I can understand why an attorney would never do that especially when they appear in front of that judge on a regular basis.

Edited by jg121783

8 hours ago, jg121783 said:

There can't be any politically motivated judges. Chief Justice Robert's said so. Lol 

Timeline
4 hours ago, jg121783 said:

If you believe that you must have limited experience dealing with municipal and county courts. Either that or the corruption in my state is unusually high compared to the nation as a whole. The worst I have seen is in traffic cases I have taken to court and seen others take to court. Your rights and even state statutes are totally disregarded to give judges and prosecutors the outcome they want. Maybe most people don't notice because 90% of people pay their tickets and move on whether they are guilty or not. I have had to file judicial conduct complaints and even criminal charges against judges to get them to rule properly. At the appeals level and higher judges tend to rule properly more often because their position is more of a political position. Municipal judges tend to get very upset and red faced when you prove in court that an officer perjured themself when making false allegations against you. I can understand why an attorney would never do that especially when they appear in front of that judge on a regular basis.

You filed judicial conduct complaints against judges? For traffic court? How did that work out for you?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
12 hours ago, refugee said:

So you have one retired FEC member and who says this is not a crime?

I believe it was more than one former FEC officials.  Not to mention multiple legal scholars that are definitely not pro-Trump.

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, refugee said:

You filed judicial conduct complaints against judges? For traffic court? How did that work out for you?

Worked out pretty good. The judge realized I wasn't screwing around and changed his tune and dismissed the case when he was previously hostile towards me and ignoring the statutes and all the motions I filed without even reading them. I think he wanted to be done dealing with me more than anything else but regardless I got the result I was after. I don't do it anymore because I have a family and I'm busy but I used to fight every traffic ticket I got when I was younger. I even fought a $10 seat belt ticket once. Thats the one that i proved in court that the officer perjured himself.

Edited by jg121783

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
17 hours ago, jg121783 said:

With all the Trump appointed judges, I bet corruption on the Bench will soon be a thing of the past:rofl:

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

3 minutes ago, Póg mo said:

With all the Trump appointed judges, I bet corruption on the Bench will soon be a thing of the past:rofl:

I dont think we will ever eliminate corruption on the bench but replacing the Obama appointees who legislate from the bench with judges who rule on existing law would go a long way.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
12 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

I dont think we will ever eliminate corruption on the bench but replacing the Obama appointees who legislate from the bench with judges who rule on existing law would go a long way.

You can prove this, beyond reasonable doubt, or is this what you have been told to believe?

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received