javadown2

Future in Philippines, buying property/building house

69 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well I haven't been on VJ in awhile but feel it's time to get back into updating my wife and I's journey(which doesn't always mean ending up in US). During the past year we've had a baby (she will be 1 in December!), my wife traveled back to the Philippines while I worked in Guam for about 3 months (travel nurse job) and we ended up purchasing some property in Cagayan de Oro in plans for our future endeavors. Our goal is to be settled in full time in the Philippines by the time my daughter is of school age(and AFTER my wife receives her US citizenship). We feel that with the current climate of the US and where we feel our heart is (Philippines of course) we want her to grow up there. I also strongly believe that there are plenty of schools there that are equal to or in my opinion better then the US. I have no doubt that she will get a great education. But I think the main reason for this update is to help others with the process of purchasing land and a home, you know.... what it's really like and the steps we went through. But honestly if it wasn't for my wife's sister and her connections with a friend who is a real estate agent we probable would be lost in the process! She helped us with every step and it's been a fairly easy process. I'll give more details if others are interested and give updates with the next steps also if others are interested or just curious. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
6 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

During the past year we've had a baby (she will be 1 in December!)

Was the baby born in the US? If yes, have you reported her birth and your marriage at the San Francisco Consulate, yet?

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

Well I haven't been on VJ in awhile but feel it's time to get back into updating my wife and I's journey(which doesn't always mean ending up in US). During the past year we've had a baby (she will be 1 in December!), my wife traveled back to the Philippines while I worked in Guam for about 3 months (travel nurse job) and we ended up purchasing some property in Cagayan de Oro in plans for our future endeavors. Our goal is to be settled in full time in the Philippines by the time my daughter is of school age(and AFTER my wife receives her US citizenship). We feel that with the current climate of the US and where we feel our heart is (Philippines of course) we want her to grow up there. I also strongly believe that there are plenty of schools there that are equal to or in my opinion better then the US. I have no doubt that she will get a great education. But I think the main reason for this update is to help others with the process of purchasing land and a home, you know.... what it's really like and the steps we went through. But honestly if it wasn't for my wife's sister and her connections with a friend who is a real estate agent we probable would be lost in the process! She helped us with every step and it's been a fairly easy process. I'll give more details if others are interested and give updates with the next steps also if others are interested or just curious. 

Congrats on the youngster!    

I truly do understand about moving to the Phils when the child is nearing school age.    To me the "family values" of the Philippines are priceless.

We have two pieces of property in the Philippines, one involved inheritance .. that is a special can of worms of its own.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 hours ago, TM92 said:

Was the baby born in the US? If yes, have you reported her birth and your marriage at the San Francisco Consulate, yet?

Yes she was born in US, already have ROB,ROM....and official paperwork(PSA or whatever it is) while visiting Philippines this year. Will work on her dual citizenship maybe next year (no hurry really since we aren't going to be there permanently for awhile). 

Edited by javadown2

Timeline
2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Congrats on the youngster!    

I truly do understand about moving to the Phils when the child is nearing school age.    To me the "family values" of the Philippines are priceless.

We have two pieces of property in the Philippines, one involved inheritance .. that is a special can of worms of its own.

Thanks, she keeps us running! Exactly, the family values are super strong and most Filipino's will do anything for each other. I can see the legal mumbo-jumbo being an issue there, it's kinda a convoluted process. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
16 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

Will work on her dual citizenship maybe next year (no hurry really since we aren't going to be there permanently for awhile). 

The baby already is a dual citizen, no need to apply. Her proof of Philippine citizenship is the Report of Birth. You can apply for a Philippine passport for her at any time. Below is info for traveling with 2 passports for the baby:

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Timeline
11 hours ago, javadown2 said:

Yes she was born in US, already have ROB,ROM....and official paperwork(PSA or whatever it is) while visiting Philippines this year. Will work on her dual citizenship maybe next year (no hurry really since we aren't going to be there permanently for awhile). 

All you need to do with the little one is apply for her Philippine passport (dual citizen by birth) .. 

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
11 hours ago, javadown2 said:

Thanks, she keeps us running! Exactly, the family values are super strong and most Filipino's will do anything for each other. I can see the legal mumbo-jumbo being an issue there, it's kinda a convoluted process. 

If there is inheritance involved with the property you have to deal with the Section 4, Rule 74 issue for two years after receiving the deed, after that you are allowed to file for removal of that condition.     There is also a additional two year "window" if it was found there was fraud involved in anyway with the transfer of the deed .. after that 2 year period the option to file because of "possible fraud" also closes.

1st rule for buying land is the deed must be in the name of the person selling you the land.    2nd rule is never buy land with a Rule 74 clause, that needs to be removed/negated before completing the Extrajudicial of Sale.   It is fairly clear sailing after that.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
6 hours ago, Hank_ said:

All you need to do with the little one is apply for her Philippine passport (dual citizen by birth) .. 

cool, that should be easy enough then.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congrats on your new baby. We certainly thought of retiring in the Philippines and have made a couple of property purchases. One involves a house and lot in the city and one by the coast. You are right about the process take a little longer than we have here in the states, but I have a brother who is our SPA in one of the properties. 

I suggest keep the property occupied and maintained. If you notice the houses are build in cement and the paint on itself needs to be maintained on-a regular basis otherwise they will look abandoned probably because of the elements. 

I am am deeply concern though with the built because philipppines is in the ring of fire and we get earthquakes all the time. I guess I am just used to seeing drywall and not cement walls..

in in the future, is it possible to have an architect build a house made out of drywall like we do here in California? Or is it just not possible?

😁

Timeline
10 minutes ago, mrsartis said:

Congrats on your new baby. We certainly thought of retiring in the Philippines and have made a couple of property purchases. One involves a house and lot in the city and one by the coast. You are right about the process take a little longer than we have here in the states, but I have a brother who is our SPA in one of the properties. 

I suggest keep the property occupied and maintained. If you notice the houses are build in cement and the paint on itself needs to be maintained on-a regular basis otherwise they will look abandoned probably because of the elements. 

I am am deeply concern though with the built because philipppines is in the ring of fire and we get earthquakes all the time. I guess I am just used to seeing drywall and not cement walls..

in in the future, is it possible to have an architect build a house made out of drywall like we do here in California? Or is it just not possible?

California is part of the ring of fire  ;) 

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
5 hours ago, Hank_ said:

California is part of the ring of fire  ;) 

We are. Thus, dry wall and no bricks 😃 shoot I will be <term removed> in Philippines if there’s an earthquake my house is 2 story of pure bricks and cement :(

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove profanity

😁

Timeline
22 minutes ago, mrsartis said:

Nice on your properties, I wish I could live on the beach somewhere but my asawa wants to be close to family. Our property is in a brand new upper end development (I've heard rumors from our realtor that the owner of Cebu Pacific owns 2 of the view lots nearby in our development, but it's just what she heard from other co-workers, and this is upper end compared to local Filipinos). It will be empty for at least a few years and her family can take care of it for us. Once it's built it will be occupied full time. I honestly don't know much about the construction there but I"m sure you could do Sheetrock because it appears many places have it (hotels..etc) but really not sure. Ours of course will be concrete block with I-beams(maybe). They seem to be fairly solid if built properly so I'm not to worried about that. I'm seriously thinking of doing a full basement, but haven't heard if it's ok to do this per local building codes. 

There are lots of things I want to do that probable most Philippines houses don't have, American appliances, bathroom sizes and was thinking garage with garage door.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

There are lots of things I want to do that probable most Philippines houses don't have, American appliances, bathroom sizes and was thinking garage with garage door.

The coast is pretty close to the metro and my family lives about 3 hours away. 

You  are right about the appliances 😭 I’m glad they have Lazada, shoppee now but man not the same quality of what we have here. I have to ave my coffee in the morning, and instant is ok, but meh.. Angeles city, Subic has 110v and my fam is from Clark :) my property on the other hand is a little south of Angeles city, so no 110v for us :( my hair iron isn’t getting hot

😁

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, javadown2 said:

Nice on your properties, I wish I could live on the beach somewhere but my asawa wants to be close to family. Our property is in a brand new upper end development (I've heard rumors from our realtor that the owner of Cebu Pacific owns 2 of the view lots nearby in our development, but it's just what she heard from other co-workers, and this is upper end compared to local Filipinos). It will be empty for at least a few years and her family can take care of it for us. Once it's built it will be occupied full time. I honestly don't know much about the construction there but I"m sure you could do Sheetrock because it appears many places have it (hotels..etc) but really not sure. Ours of course will be concrete block with I-beams(maybe). They seem to be fairly solid if built properly so I'm not to worried about that. I'm seriously thinking of doing a full basement, but haven't heard if it's ok to do this per local building codes. 

A full basement will be dependent on how high the water table is.  If it is near the surface it would possibly make a usuable full basement impractical

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.