javadown2

Future in Philippines, buying property/building house

69 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Hank_ said:

You can buy the 240V chargers at any of the Home Depots in the Philippines ... no d!nking around.

Never seen a Home Depot (copy cat even) in Philippines.   I did my job, it cost $290 just to ship the weed eater since it was like 70 inches long, then he wanted a Scotts Pushmower with grass catcher so I had to get a 30 * 30 * 30 box to put that thing in and it was $320 to ship that box since it was so large.

I will hand the torch off to him and let him find the rest, it was my first time sending a BB box myself, I packed by Cowboy Boots and will be sporting those around streets of Davao City and Manila some, might even wear my cowboy hat as well.

Yee Haw...….

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 2/17/2019 at 7:33 PM, Chris Duffy said:

Have you ever thought about being a squatter?

I have looked at several squatters area, especially the ones close to the ocean, Some are pretty nice.  You build a house and don't have to own the land.  

No, never crossed my mind. We bought property already. Will start building next year. 

On 2/17/2019 at 4:33 AM, Chris Duffy said:

Have you ever thought about being a squatter?

I have looked at several squatters area, especially the ones close to the ocean, Some are pretty nice.  You build a house and don't have to own the land.  

I remember a thread about 1-2 years ago about a guy wanting to buy his in laws their house instead of them renting. It turned out that the family in a house on squatters land, so we advised him not to do that 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I remember a thread about 1-2 years ago about a guy wanting to buy his in laws their house instead of them renting. It turned out that the family in a house on squatters land, so we advised him not to do that 

Was it that long ago already?

That squatter village is right along the C-5 I do remember that.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

14 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I used to be of the same thought process as well, then started looking into it about squatter areas,  but also some are not safe.

When I go from Davao City to south there are a subdivision built right on the ocean, and my buddy who is now a retired PNP tells me the areas have high drug area and the safe areas, he pointed out this area that was squatters area, and it was pretty nice.

I would be willing to roll the bones and spend the money to build a place to live or even buy if the price was right on squatter land, It's a risk, but if the price was right I wouldn't have any issues doing it.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/30/2018 at 12:34 AM, Chris Duffy said:

I wouldn't bother building a house. You can rent a nice home in Mindanao region for around $250 per month.  You get tired of the area or someone decides to build a pig farm next to your home, or you have the town drunk who play Video K all night long and then the time and money you spent can be a waste.

I want to be mobile when  move to the PHilippines, I have no desire to be tied to one area or one place.

Interesting and informative thread.

I am still on the fence, but leaning towards your conclusion.  I have been researching buying land in a gated community in Davao and the prices are just too expensive.  For the price of land and building a house, we could rent the same house in the gated community for 50 years at $250 a month.  Not that I will even live that long, so yeah makes sense.

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.