14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a female born US citizen working in the United States.  I have met a Filipina woman who is here on a B1 Visa.  Her visa expires in February and her I94 expires in July.  She currently lives one block from me and we have seen each other almost every day and have been dating now for about 3 months.  We are currently looking at options as her time in the USA maybe coming to an end. (not clear if her employer will extend)  If we decided to get married, would we need to get married and do the AOS before her visa expires or before the I94 expires?  We are also looking at K-1 and CR-1 but it seems easier and quicker to do it in the USA. Any advice is welcome. 

Feb 02, 2019- Married
Apr. 20, 2019- I-130, I-485, I-765 Filed

May 1, 2019- Checks Cashed, Texts received

May 4, 2019- NOA received

May 10, 2019- Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

May 22, 2019- Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore, MD

September 4, 2019- Received courtesy letter about I-693

September 5, 2019- I485 status changed to "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"

September 9, 2019- Medical exam done

October 10, 2019 - Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, approved

October 10, 2019 - EAD approved

October 18, 2019 - Combo card in hand

February 24, 2019- Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

B entries are usually max 6 months so not sure how  it can expire in July?

She will be out of status and deportable when her I 94 expires.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jaime'n'Jenny said:

I am a female born US citizen working in the United States.  I have met a Filipina woman who is here on a B1 Visa.  Her visa expires in February and her I94 expires in July.  She currently lives one block from me and we have seen each other almost every day and have been dating now for about 3 months.  We are currently looking at options as her time in the USA maybe coming to an end. (not clear if her employer will extend)  If we decided to get married, would we need to get married and do the AOS before her visa expires or before the I94 expires?  We are also looking at K-1 and CR-1 but it seems easier and quicker to do it in the USA. Any advice is welcome. 

If you marry, then you must file for AOS. Once you receive the receipt or NOA1 she will be in a temporary legal status even after her I-94 expires so.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

B entries are usually max 6 months so not sure how  it can expire in July?

She will be out of status and deportable when her I 94 expires.

Her I-94 expires in July.  Her actual visa expires in February.  I believe she is on a one year visa.  She is a nanny. 

Feb 02, 2019- Married

September 5, 2019- I485 status changed to "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"

Timeline

B1 would be if she was accompanying her Employers who live overseas, most Nanny's are J1's.

Not that it probably matters. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

B1 would be if she was accompanying her Employers who live overseas, most Nanny's are J1's.

Not that it probably matters. 

Her employers are american and were in England for 3 years.  She worked for them in London.  She came over with them to the USA and has been here almost three years. 

Feb 02, 2019- Married

Timeline

Well it sounds more like a J1, but a detail.

Timeline

Would the AOS need to be filled before the visa expires in Feb?

Feb 02, 2019- Married

AOS should probably be filed asap or before her legal status in the USA ends.  Sounds rather odd that her visa expires in Feb but her status doesn't change until July?  Something is off IMHO.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Visa just has to be valid on entry.

Timeline

Not for a Nanny, some types of J yes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.