Josie333

Affidavit of Support

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

At the interview my husband was given 221g and directed to obtain a joint sponsor. They kept his passport. I have no one so commenting to keep looking is not helpful. My plan is to wait until I file 2018 taxes, in which I meet poverty guidelines and beyond, to resubmit myself as a sponsor. Is this allowed/acceptable? I understand the consulate would "prefer" a new sponsor however my question is specific to allowing me to resubmit as a sponsor. I reached out to the consulate but they have yet to reply. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Josie

Edited by Josie333

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Josie333 said:

At the interview my husband was given 221g and directed to obtain a joint sponsor. They kept his passport. I have no one so commenting to keep looking is not helpful. My plan is to wait until I file 2018 taxes, in which I meet poverty guidelines and beyond, to resubmit myself as a sponsor. Is this allowed/acceptable? I understand the consulate would "prefer" a new sponsor however my question is specific to allowing me to resubmit as a sponsor. I reached out to the consulate but they have yet to reply. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Josie

Wowww very sorry to hear about your situation...

if I may ask, did you include any assets to meet the guidelines ? Or did they not even consider your assets? Did they simply ask for a joint sponsor? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

@NJ & RJ I included my checking and savings accounts, 401K, and paystubs for a year. I don't have any other assets. The CO dismissed the evidence and stated they only go by Tax Forms.

To answer your question, you can attempt to resubmit your financials. The only problem with that is the CO may still reject it even if you have new proof of meeting the financial guidelines. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Josie333 said:

@NJ & RJ I included my checking and savings accounts, 401K, and paystubs for a year. I don't have any other assets. The CO dismissed the evidence and stated they only go by Tax Forms.

Thanks for the answer🙏🏾

Wowww so why do they even give you the option to use your assets to meet the requirements if they won’t even accept it...? 

Is this with every CO at any foreign country or what? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, NJ & RJ said:

Thanks for the answer🙏🏾

Wowww so why do they even give you the option to use your assets to meet the requirements if they won’t even accept it...? 

Is this with every CO at any foreign country or what? 

each one is different and Morocco is notoriously difficult

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Are you self employed?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, NJ & RJ said:

Wowww very sorry to hear about your situation...

if I may ask, did you include any assets to meet the guidelines ? Or did they not even consider your assets? Did they simply ask for a joint sponsor? 

Very hard to meet the assests section /  if most can not meet the poverty guidelines,  it would be highly inprobable that they meet the assests / it is actual cash value of all and value (minus morgage for a property) must be proven 

Financial sponsors can only include assets that are convertible into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the sponsor and his/her family. Examples of assets easily convertible to cash are savings, stocks, bonds and property. Sponsors may include the value of their home. They may not include the value of their automobile, unless they can show they have more than one and the primary automobile is not included as an asset. 

Sponsors of spouses and children of U.S. citizens must only prove assets valued at three times the difference between the poverty guidelines and actual household income. 

from the same US immigration site listed below

2 hours ago, Josie333 said:

Josie

they can accept the new if CO is willing

the Form I-864 remains valid indefinitely unless evidence of failure to meet the poverty guidelines in effect on the date of I-864 filing arises. The consular officer will determine whether the income claimed by the sponsor and documented with financial evidence meets the poverty guidelines in effect at the time the I-864 was filed. If the income claimed does not meet the poverty guidelines, then the consular officer may request that the sponsor submit current year income information.

this is from US immigraton site

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/establish-financial-support/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html

Timeline

Current income

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My 2018 tax return income will not meet the poverty guideline but my current income for 2019 is going to be higher because of increase of pay rate. I am just waiting for approval right now. In affidavit form I saw there are two  income requirement one is current income and one is tax return income for last year, this is so confusing. 

Timeline

There is only one income requirement. Current.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.