Hanini

Interview without spouse

29 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am an October 2017 AOS filer. Currently waiting to be scheduled for an interview. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with their military spouse not being in the interview with them? 

My husband and I met in Texas. Both of our families live in Texas. I still currently live in Texas since I just finished my university last May and I’m trying to look for a job here. We filed for AOS in Texas as well. My husband has been stationed in a different state since 2015. 

I was just wondering if he needs to be present for the interview if he’s stationed in a different state? 

9 minutes ago, Hanini said:

Hello everyone,

I am an October 2017 AOS filer. Currently waiting to be scheduled for an interview. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with their military spouse not being in the interview with them? 

My husband and I met in Texas. Both of our families live in Texas. I still currently live in Texas since I just finished my university last May and I’m trying to look for a job here. We filed for AOS in Texas as well. My husband has been stationed in a different state since 2015. 

I was just wondering if he needs to be present for the interview if he’s stationed in a different state? 

Ok, when I first read this I thought that he was deployed and you were back here but that is not the case. At this point in time I do think you have a problem because you are not going to school and living apart from your husband, this according to USCIS this does look bad. If your husband does not come with you to the interview then expect for your AOS to be denied. 

12 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Ok, when I first read this I thought that he was deployed and you were back here but that is not the case. At this point in time I do think you have a problem because you are not going to school and living apart from your husband, this according to USCIS this does look bad. If your husband does not come with you to the interview then expect for your AOS to be denied. 

Are you in the military? Military spouse or personnel? 

21 minutes ago, Hanini said:

Are you in the military? Military spouse or personnel? 

Why yes I was. Where is your husband stationed at right now? 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

6 hours ago, Hanini said:

Hello everyone,

In this case it doesn't matter if you're a military spouse or not. 

Uscis will see that you dont live with your spouse so that's so much harder to prove a real relationship. Him not being on the interview with you might be your smallest problem. 

After all its entirely your choice to not be with your husband atm. Nothing stops you from joining him where he lives right now. Ex. If you really wanted to you could have easily transfer to the university closer to him. 

So yeah you definately have a problem. I'd make sure you have some extremely good proofs of real relationship. Many joint finances, bills,  loans, life insurance, power of attorney and proofs of many, many visits you had to see each other. 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

26 minutes ago, Roel said:

Uscis will see that you dont live with your spouse so that's so much harder to prove a real relationship. Him not being on the interview with you might be your smallest problem. 

After all its entirely your choice to not be with your husband atm. Nothing stops you from joining him where he lives right now. Ex. If you really wanted to you could have easily transfer to the university closer to him. 

So yeah you definately have a problem. I'd make sure you have some extremely good proofs of real relationship. Many joint finances, bills,  loans, life insurance, power of attorney and proofs of many, many visits you had to see each other. 

He’s stationed in a really small city with not a lot of job opportunities present. That’s why I haven’t moved to where he is. 

We have all that proof. We filed where I live now cause we didn’t think it would take so long for the AOS to process. 

I didn’t really post a whole lot of details. Don’t know why you guys just assumed we didn’t have a relationship beforehand and that we’ll get denied for not living together. We dated quite a while before we got married.

So much for asking advice on this forum. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Edited by Hanini

3 hours ago, Hanini said:

He’s stationed in a really small city with not a lot of job opportunities present. That’s why I haven’t moved to where he is. 

We have all that proof. We filed where I live now cause we didn’t think it would take so long for the AOS to process. 

I didn’t really post a whole lot of details. Don’t know why you guys just assumed we didn’t have a relationship beforehand and that we’ll get denied for not living together. We dated quite a while before we got married.

Doesnt matter how long you dated before you get married. 

Uscis will look at your current situation. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

4 hours ago, Hanini said:

You are taking it the wrong way. The problem you are facing is the perception of your relationship. USCIS will not just go on your word. That is why people send in tons of supporting evidence their relationship is real.

The posters here are only trying to show you how your relationship will look to a CO conducting the interview who knows nothing about you personally and whose job is to weed out fraudulent marriages.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

5 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

You are taking it the wrong way. The problem you are facing is the perception of your relationship. USCIS will not just go on your word. That is why people send in tons of supporting evidence their relationship is real.

The posters here are only trying to show you how your relationship will look to a CO conducting the interview who knows nothing about you personally and whose job is to weed out fraudulent marriages.

But who are these posters to say “Oh your application is going to denied, blah blah blah.” Like did I post my whole life story here for y’all to have a decision on my case? 

I literally asked for a simple question if anybody has experience with their husband not being in the interview and they’re so quick to jump onto conclusions when I LITERALLY gave the most vague details. 

So out of line. 🤦🏻‍♀️

55 minutes ago, Hanini said:

But who are these posters to say “Oh your application is going to denied, blah blah blah.” Like did I post my whole life story here for y’all to have a decision on my case? 

I literally asked for a simple question if anybody has experience with their husband not being in the interview and they’re so quick to jump onto conclusions when I LITERALLY gave the most vague details. 

So out of line. 🤦🏻‍♀️

How is it out of line? 

You asked for experiences of your husband not going to the AOS because of them being in the military. If your husband is not there due to training or deployment with verified orders then you will be fine. If he is not there for some other reason then you can be denied due to him not being there.

Edited by Cyberfx1024

1 hour ago, Hanini said:

So out of line. 🤦🏻‍♀️

How is this out of line when it's true?

You don't live together - that's already a red flag for USCIS. They might deny you base on that, they might not. But I'd be prepared.  Even if you get it approved, you will have harder time getting RoC approved when living apart from your spouse.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

18 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

12 hours ago, Roel said:

7 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Geez. Some of the responses here are ridiculous. You CLEARLY didn’t have experience doing this so why the fearmongering?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

19 hours ago, Hanini said:

Hello everyone,

It would be better if he’s there. But you know what, the military owns him and the state department knows that for sure. As long as it’s stated why he can’t go, that’s fine. But he has to get a letter from his command.

I was in your boat until just a few months ago. We lived in separate houses for 4 whole years and during that time, I applied for my 10 year permanent resident visa and for my citizenship. Never got RFE.

Edited by ivyyy

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

8 minutes ago, ivyyy said:

It would be better if he’s there. But you know what, the military owns him and the state department knows that for sure. As long as it’s stated why he can’t go, that’s fine. But he has to get a letter from his command.

I was in your boat until just a few months ago. We lived in separate houses for 4 whole years and during that time, I applied for my 10 year permanent resident visa and for my citizenship. Never got RFE.

That's what I am saying is that the absence has to be verified such as being on orders or training. Not just because "he lives in a small town". 

Was your husband deployed or tdy somewhere else during your interview?

2 hours ago, ivyyy said:

Geez. Some of the responses here are ridiculous. You CLEARLY didn’t have experience doing this so why the fearmongering?

I am not fearmongering but telling the truth as a non-objective person. I don't get why telling the truth and what could happen is fear mongering. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.