Two Lost Souls

MMR/Tdap Vaccinations at GP?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm having some trouble getting my vaccinations scheduled via my GP. At first I was told I could just schedule them in with a nurse, but they have now said that since it is classed as a travel immunisation, I will need to go elsewhere and get it done privately. They didn't even offer for me to have it done at the GP surgery for a fee. I did explain that I am going over there to live, and not to travel.

I know plenty of people on here have had no issue getting them done at their GP at much reduced cost - or even for free. I looked at private clinics and they cost around the same as Knightsbridge.

Is there any argument I can use with my GP surgery in order to get the vaccinations done a reduced cost, rather than having to go privately? Every penny counts at the moment with all the visa costs and I'd rather not pay £100 for jabs if I don't have to.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

I-129F Sent: March 24th, 2018

NOA1 Received: March 27th, 2018 (Old Site) / March 30th, 2018 (New Site)

NOA2: October 1st, 2018

NVC: October 21st 2018

Consulate Rec: November 5th 2018

Medical: December 5th 2018 (booked later due to visiting fiancé for most of November)

Interview: December 19th 2018, approved!

Visa In Hand: December 31st 2018

POE: January 13th 2019

Regardless of if you needed it for immigration or not, to deny you access to vaccinations that you require surely is infringing on your legal rights? 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/mmr-vaccine-when-needed/

There shouldn’t be a cost according to the NHS webite. (For TDAP, MMR)

Did you specifically tell them which vaccinations you needed? 

Edited by HarryWL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Which vaccinations do you need?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Which vaccinations do you need?

MMR and Tdap. And the flu jab, but I can get that done easily enough at Boots.

Medical: December 5th 2018 (booked later due to visiting fiancé for most of November)

Just now, Two Lost Souls said:

MMR and Tdap. And the flu jab, but I can get that done easily enough at Boots.

Sounds like whoever you spoke to is clueless. MMR and Tdap aren’t travel vaccinations, they should be free on the NHS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They sound basic injections, not travel.

I did not need MMR, is this a booster?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Two Lost Souls said:

I'm having some trouble getting my vaccinations scheduled via my GP. At first I was told I could just schedule them in with a nurse, but they have now said that since it is classed as a travel immunisation, I will need to go elsewhere and get it done privately. They didn't even offer for me to have it done at the GP surgery for a fee. I did explain that I am going over there to live, and not to travel.

I know plenty of people on here have had no issue getting them done at their GP at much reduced cost - or even for free. I looked at private clinics and they cost around the same as Knightsbridge.

Is there any argument I can use with my GP surgery in order to get the vaccinations done a reduced cost, rather than having to go privately? Every penny counts at the moment with all the visa costs and I'd rather not pay £100 for jabs if I don't have to.

My fiance is in Scotland and he tried with his GP but it was going to take about 6 to 12 weeks to be able to schedule him. There are travel clinics but charge quite a bit. He ended up going to Boots and paid £85 for all the jabs.He has to return on the 12th of Nov. for a second set of MMR but it's already on his shot records. None of them were covered by the NHS and they dont have the flu jab. Either way it was more convenient at Boots. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They sound basic injections, not travel.

I did not need MMR, is this a booster?

I had MMR vacc when I was 4, I was under the impression it needed to be within the last 10 years? I've also had "DT + Polio Booster" when I was 6, and Meningitis C vacc when I was 14. (I'm 32). That's all I have on my vaccination record.

Edited by Two Lost Souls

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, Two Lost Souls said:

I had MMR vacc when I was 4, I was under the impression it needed to be within the last 10 years? I've also had "DT + Polio Booster" when I was 6, and Meningitis C vacc when I was 14. (I'm 32). That's all I have on my vaccination record.

If you are 19 yrs or older you need

• One MMR because you only have one on record. It's two in your life.
  • DT is diptheria/Tetanus however that needs to be no longer ago than 10 yrs, so you need another. Polio isn't required for adults but no problem that it was mixed with your DT. An adult booster is called Td. (tetanus/diptheria)
  • Flu jab
  • Varicella is waived if you say you had chickenpox. 

Go to wherever is cheapesr Boots, travel clinic, Knightsbridge, Tesco.

NHS sometimes won't give shots that aren't on their UK list. Like a flu jab if you aren't older than 50. You have to meet US standards but a UK doctor may refuse to give something not a UK standard. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just to clarify it's diphtheria/Tetanus and Pertussis not Polio and that is the one that is needed. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

11 hours ago, Two Lost Souls said:

Hello,

I recently had the very same discussion with my GP's receptionist.

After explaining that the last TD is required within the last 10 years and I am over that and some arguing from her that "You don't require TD to go to the USA" and informing her quite abruptly that I'm not sure I believe her over the USCIS medical form, they arranged it for 3 weeks time. Unfortunately a lot of the NHS GP surgeries do not have a private license. I don't believe (unless you've had the 3 Tetanus vaccinations to class as fully immunised) that they can deny you it on the NHS.

If your surgery has more than one receptionist it could be better trying to call them each day, say it's required for the issuance of a visa and you're out of the window for acceptable Tetanus jab, fingers crossed it's sufficient. Receptions seem to take the role of gatekeeper quite serious it seems. Boots also do a free "travel vaccine" consultation, which you could take the requirement list to them to have a referral sheet written up from boots advising that you require them and then give that to your local surgery to action. 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

if you can get another td without too much trouble, get it. mine was in last 5 years and they made me get another at Knightsbridge

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

Timeline
On 10/17/2018 at 5:05 AM, Wuozopo said:

If you are 19 yrs or older you need

• One MMR because you only have one on record. It's two in your life.
  • DT is diptheria/Tetanus however that needs to be no longer ago than 10 yrs, so you need another. Polio isn't required for adults but no problem that it was mixed with your DT. An adult booster is called Td. (tetanus/diptheria)
  • Flu jab
  • Varicella is waived if you say you had chickenpox. 

Go to wherever is cheapesr Boots, travel clinic, Knightsbridge, Tesco.

NHS sometimes won't give shots that aren't on their UK list. Like a flu jab if you aren't older than 50. You have to meet US standards but a UK doctor may refuse to give something not a UK standard. 

Hi im struggling to find what the exact vaccination requirements are , ive had influenza , a dtap booster in 2012, influenza b , and mmr - is that sufficient? And is it safe to say youve had chickenpox? Because i think ive had chickenpox but im not sure haha- as silly as it sounds it was when i was very young, and i havent had a varicella vaccination so would it be safe to just say ive had chickenpox without undeniable proof? 

Also im confused about what exact forms from the gp you need to provide for Knightsbridge? I only have a printout from my gp of my medical history, and it says medication ive been prescribed, immunisations, problems, significant past and minor past? Is that enough or do i need more specific things- sorry! This forum seems very knowledgeable!

Thanks!

Edited by Mez274

I spoke to my doctors surgery yesterday and said I’m out of date on MMR and DT please can I book in for them? I am booked in for tomorrow morning, the nurse said they are more than happy to give them and she wasn’t bothered that it was for US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.