K1visaHopeful

I-864 Are 3 year's of W2's REQUIRED?

44 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Calicolom said:

What they like to see is all 3 years IRS tax transcript, why risk rfe.

NVC does not issue RFEs. They issue checklists. COs issue a 221g.

The don't care about past years if current income is sufficient.*

*Exception: A very small handful of consulates/embassies (i.e. those in India).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

NVC does not issue RFEs. They issue checklists. COs issue a 221g.

The don't care about past years if current income is sufficient.*

*Exception: A very small handful of consulates/embassies (i.e. those in India).

Also if you are self employed i think they want to see them to prove stable income history.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

9 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

just get your tax transcripts and submit those. no need for anything else (aside from documentation/proof of CURRENT income- pay stubs, employment letter, etc)

And exactly. They wouldnt have stressed "current" on the form if that wasnt the most important factor NOR have the OPTION to submit past evidence IF it would help your case.

12 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

Also if you are self employed i think they want to see them to prove stable income history.

This is very true. Through this whole process I think most forget that we have to determine WHY we would be submitting a supporting document as it relates to our specific case rather than assuming a document is a required one because others have submitted it. 

This is my only question..  WHY have those who have submitted the W2's for all three years have done so and WHERE it states it is a REQUIREMENT.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

This is very true. Through this whole process I think most forget that we have to determine WHY we would be submitting a supporting document as it relates to our specific case rather than assuming a document is a required one because others have submitted it. 

That is my only question..  WHY have those who have submitted the W2's for all three years have done so and WHERE it states it is a REQUIREMENT.

who knows why some people do it.

some submit it because they think its 'additional evidence'. some think they might HAVE to. Some might do it just because they see OTHER people do it.

it does not state anywhere it is a requirement. it is listed as an option in proof of income, i beleive

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

I concur that I think many people do so because it provides some sort of reassurance/comfort. "It's more evidence, so of course it's helpful, right?"

The thing is, the process is simpler than people make it out to be. You get to make your case by providing only the evidence you want to support your situation. Make the best case for yourself. Many people probably aren't used to that.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

32 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I concur that I think many people do so because it provides some sort of reassurance/comfort. "It's more evidence, so of course it's helpful, right?"

The thing is, the process is simpler than people make it out to be. You get to make your case by providing only the evidence you want to support your situation. Make the best case for yourself. Many people probably aren't used to that.

I agree (and I dont want to say "but" because I it makes me sound like I don't wholeheartedly agree when I do) BUT it doesnt help others in determining what is required when ppl post a whole slew of documents they sent or simply saying I submitted this without stating WHY they did or WHAT instructions they were following hence my original question. It is important that we back up our findings with truths or else these forums will turn into a big shamble of misinformation that could lead to applicants receiving denials or RFEs because they sent information that hindered their case rather than helping it. Thanks @geowrian!

1 hour ago, K1visaHopeful said:

This is my only question..  WHY have those who have submitted the W2's for all three years have done so and WHERE it states it is a REQUIREMENT.

It is NOT a requirement.  People who have done it, hopefully will answer you about why did did this unnecessary thing for you but likely not.  People do unnecessary things in this process ALL THE TIME.  For instance they submit beneficiary birth certificates or submit certified certificates when only a photocopy is needed. 

I wouldn't worry about what other people do so much. Just do what you know is the right thing to do.  

The requirement is: 

1 year of tax return (including w2s and schedules) OR tax return transcript..

OR

3 years of tax returns OR tax return transcripts.  

Sending just a w2 is an incomplete tax return and will net you a checklist and waste time.  If someone doesn't get a checklist for this, they should consider themselves lucky.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I’ve sent everything. Knowing they all may not be necessary.

why did I do that?

possible fluctuations in the numbers of the last two years, I wasn’t sure if they would accept my fiancé’s income as it was new.

i added joint sponsor without being asked although the income showed enough.

sent everything from joint sponsor too. Cause I’d rather just send it then deal with rfe as many people are getting unnecessary looking rfes.

i even sent 3 different types of birth certificate because we have different versions and I saw at least one post of rfe for each style. 

My reason why is, I’ll just add that piece of paper rather than deal with it later :) 

2 hours ago, Naes said:

I’ve sent everything. Knowing they all may not be necessary.

why did I do that?

possible fluctuations in the numbers of the last two years, I wasn’t sure if they would accept my fiancé’s income as it was new.

i added joint sponsor without being asked although the income showed enough.

sent everything from joint sponsor too. Cause I’d rather just send it then deal with rfe as many people are getting unnecessary looking rfes.

i even sent 3 different types of birth certificate because we have different versions and I saw at least one post of rfe for each style. 

My reason why is, I’ll just add that piece of paper rather than deal with it later :) 

Thanks @Naes. I've come across a few posts elsewhere that have said even if I dont submit the three years of Transcripts/tax forms I MUST still submit the three W's. Nobody would offer the evidence as to why they could claim this was a requirement. All they could say was "because I saw somebody do it" "or I read somebody said so" without the proof. 

I just wanted to get down to the bottom of it and hopefully put an end to the misinformation.

Thanks again!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
22 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Thanks @Naes. I've come across a few posts elsewhere that have said even if I dont submit the three years of Transcripts/tax forms I MUST still submit the three W's. Nobody would offer the evidence as to why they could claim this was a requirement. All they could say was "because I saw somebody do it" "or I read somebody said so" without the proof. 

I just wanted to get down to the bottom of it and hopefully put an end to the misinformation.

Thanks again!

Yeah, I totally understand the feeling about everyone just doing what someone else did before.

My advice (or more like what I did) was to read around especially about recent rfes because there are some ridiculous rfes concerning tax returns and decide; however I have to add I’ve seen non so far concerning past tax returns and/or w2s. As long as it is not in the requirements I find it meaningless to send without a reason you feel right. 

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

Definitely not a requirement. My sponsor did not and we are now waiting for interview. I wouldn't suggest you send in only W2s for those three years without supporting tax documents. Just don't send the other two at all. 

F1 (graduated) with pending AOS after marriage! ^_^

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Personally I sent 3 years of W2s just because it shows I've had the job for a long time and its not temporary or whatever plus I had it all together already from when I filed the i-134. Basically just took out the older paystubs and put in 2 new ones and sent the same stuff.

1 hour ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Personally I sent 3 years of W2s just because it shows I've had the job for a long time and its not temporary or whatever plus I had it all together already from when I filed the i-134. Basically just took out the older paystubs and put in 2 new ones and sent the same stuff.

But did you send three years of ITRs or transcripts too?

This does not answer my question, my dear.

Why would you send three years of W2's and not the three years of ITRs or transcripts? Where does it say you need to send the W2's regardless of if you are sending the ITRs....

I'm really not interested in knowing WHAT ppl did anymore. I'm interested in knowing WHY something was done and seeing the page where that info was found in the instructions.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
14 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

But did you send three years of ITRs or transcripts too?

This does not answer my question, my dear.

Why would you send three years of W2's and not the three years of ITRs or transcripts? Where does it say you need to send the W2's regardless of if you are sending the ITRs....

I'm really not interested in knowing WHAT ppl did anymore. I'm interested in knowing WHY something was done and seeing the page where that info was found in the instructions.

Let me reiterate Personally I sent 3 years of W2s just because it shows I've had the job for a long time and its not temporary or whatever plus I had it all together already from when I filed the i-134. No I didn't send the other 2 years of transcripts because they were joint with my ex-wife.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.