JayHouser

Interview Concern

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

So our interview is right around the corner in 12 days but I had a little concern

For our case as the petitioner I have 2 minor misdemeanors from a while back that I included the documents for with my I29F and of course answered yes to the question regarding it. But then I remembered back in 2011 I also got a misdemeanor traffic ticket for "Allowing a person to drive with a suspended license" Long story short I didn't allow that I was at work and had enough evidence to prove that this person was not given permission to drive my car, so when I showed up to court they never formally charged me it, they adjusted the charge to a minor non criminal traffic offense of  "Not having drivers license on demand" and hit with me a $100 fine. Which it was less of a headache to fight 100 bucks so I paid it and moved on with my life.

Anyways my concern I remember another prominent member on here got to their interview and was denied because they had I believe a domestic charge from the 90s that was dismissed and expunged, somehow USCIS missed it, was caught at the interview, and resulted in a denial.

Am I overreacting here? I am not even sure if the original charge even if it was not adjusted would have counted because it was traffic related, but then again, it was criminal traffic which might be a different story. And I do not have any records of it because again when I showed up for the first court date they never formally charged with me it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Personally, I think you may be over reacting a bit.  In the case of the other member, it may have been a charge involving morale turpitude, which you traffic ticket does not seem to fit.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

The other person had a domestic charge that did not result in a conviction.

I just did some digging and saw that the traffic charge was a citation for criminal traffic that carried a maximum penalty of $500 and in the I29F it says to disclose all non traffic criminal charges even citations unless the traffic charge was alcohol or drug related OR carried a fine of $500 or more :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

They may not have missed it.  It may have been seen and determined to be not a deal breaker.  I haven’t seen old traffic incidents be the determining factor for a denial.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

You’re the petitioner. It’s really a non issue. If your case is at interview stage USCIS saw no issues with your criminal background. They run a background check on the US citizen petitioner and will see even expunged charges. If they approved your petition they have no issue with it. But you’re the petitioner so really no issue. 

Timeline
33 minutes ago, bakphx1 said:

They may not have missed it.  It may have been seen and determined to be not a deal breaker.  I haven’t seen old traffic incidents be the determining factor for a denial.  

It's not them not seeing as a deal breaker that concerns me, its a denial based on failure to disclose that concerns me

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
34 minutes ago, JayHouser said:

It's not them not seeing as a deal breaker that concerns me, its a denial based on failure to disclose that concerns me

You could give your fiance the court documents to this situation you are worried about and IF they ask about IT specifically then at least she would have the documents with her. ... ?

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

Timeline
1 hour ago, JayHouser said:

I was taking that into consideration.  Part of what they consider is whether it was an intentional misrepresentation or an oversight.  Since adding it or leaving it out wouldn't affect the outcome (like a drug or DV charge), they may or may not ask about it, but it's not something that they'll assume you left off because omitting it means you'd be approved where you otherwise wouldn't.  That's a factor.  

Timeline

I gave her whatever documents in case they do ask for it. What you say makes sense when you put it that way. As long as it is not an automatic denial for not disclosing something as what happened to another VJ user. They didn't even allow them a chance to present the documents after

Timeline
12 minutes ago, JayHouser said:

I gave her whatever documents in case they do ask for it. What you say makes sense when you put it that way. As long as it is not an automatic denial for not disclosing something as what happened to another VJ user. They didn't even allow them a chance to present the documents after

We all sweat the details when it’s our own case.  But despite all the demands for information, RFE’s, etc., most of us found the people wanting to approve us, not play “gotcha” with every detail.  As stated before it’s likely they saw it and didn’t care.

They also have an incentive to get the case to approval on the first pass as often as possible, so I doubt they’d set up something to be appealed to add a$100 fine on the petitioner’s record.

Timeline
22 minutes ago, bakphx1 said:

We all sweat the details when it’s our own case.  But despite all the demands for information, RFE’s, etc., most of us found the people wanting to approve us, not play “gotcha” with every detail.  As stated before it’s likely they saw it and didn’t care.

They also have an incentive to get the case to approval on the first pass as often as possible, so I doubt they’d set up something to be appealed to add a$100 fine on the petitioner’s record.

Thank you for your positivity! Though i thought you can't appeal a K1 denial. I will stay in good spirits :)

Timeline
7 hours ago, JayHouser said:

Thank you for your positivity! Though i thought you can't appeal a K1 denial. I will stay in good spirits :)

Interesting.  I see lawyers who say you can appeal it, others say you can't.  Hopefully it's all moot for your case.  Either way, it would mean handling a case more than once no matter which remedy you pursued (new petition or CR1 as alternatives).  I won't take the thread off track by discussing that topic further and again the consensus is you won't have a problem. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
20 hours ago, JayHouser said:

Anyways my concern I remember another prominent member on here got to their interview and was denied because they had I believe a domestic charge from the 90s that was dismissed and expunged, somehow USCIS missed it, was caught at the interview, and resulted in a denial.

People need to understand the difference between an expungement and a set-aside, as well as how each is discoverable in a background check. An expungement of an arrest record or conviction is (depending on state law) either sealed or destroyed. A "sealed" record still exists, but it's shielded from prying eyes. A "destroyed" record is physically destroyed - it's gone. Some states call expungement a "set aside." Generally, they are the same. Either way, expunged records are generally kept from the eyes of anyone searching records (banks, employers, etc.). The problem with immigration is that it's federal. Some arrest/conviction records find their way into federal databases, such as the FBI. Some records, not all. Federal agencies do not generally follow state expungement actions, unless ordered to by a state court. Sometimes it just takes a notice of expungement - a physical form handed to the feds - to clear a federal database. Once cleared from the feds, the record is probably gone. That's the true nature of expungement ("to remove"). A good lawyer will walk the paperwork from the state to the feds and do a follow-up review to make sure the record is gone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.