13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey everyone! Not sure if this is on the right forum topic but I’ve only just joined here and still finding my way around!

I had my medical today at Knightsbridge for our K-1 Visa. I kept a log of my time there in case anyone thought it useful. If you don’t want to read it all, the main points are: 

They're adamant they need the patient summary and won’t send the report to the embassy until they have it. 

Take a book!

If you haven’t had all the vaccinations, you only really need 2 (£90 if done there)

Everyone is really lovely! 

I was really nervous last night and didn’t really sleep at all and couldn’t really find any personal experiences that put me at ease. I needn’t have worried, it was all fine! 

Anyway, here’s the detailed version if you’re interested:

Arrived and told to sit in the waiting room and come back at the reception at 10.50. (My appointment time) About 10 other people in here waiting too. I want to chat to them but they all look nervous!

A girl sat opposite me has a bandage on her arm from bloods so I’m assuming we have to come back in-between tests. 

They’ve got Christmas decorations up on the mini chandelier. Either someone’s very eager or they’ve been there for years. 

I wasn’t sure what to wear so I just put a shirt and jeans on. Smart cas. I didn’t want to overdo it but I also wanted them to know I’m taking this seriously. 

I really want to chat to everyone and ask what their stories are, but I need to remind myself that this isn’t an audition and they might want to keep things private. Totally understand. I won’t be ‘that’ guy. 

After being called to the desk (while I was walking to it) at 10.50, I handed over all my paperwork required. I don’t have my patient summary or vaccination history, but she didn’t seem to mind. She took my passport photos. Passport. And acro to photocopy. Then gave me another questionnaire to fill out as well as a permission form. I was also given a pot to give a urine sample in. 

I filled out the questionnaire which was pretty personal and I felt a little awkward as I was back in the small waiting room, wish I sat with my back against the wall! 

After handing it in, I went to the toilet behind me and filled the pot. 

Now waiting to be called by the nurse. 

Just had my x-ray. Had a lovely chat with the radiologist as we mostly talked about acting! I had to strip down to my waist and stand in front of a black plate. After a few adjustments, she took my x-ray as I took a breath in and out. We waited until it appeared on the screen. I’ve never had an x-ray before so it was fascinating seeing my skeleton and lungs! 

Back in the waiting room now for the next step. 

Just had my vaccinations! I spoke to a nurse who said she couldn’t find any records and I told her that’s because my doctor couldn’t find any! As I’m on a K Visa, I don’t need it for the visa, but would need it when I do my AOS in America. I could either have my tb and mmr jab now, which totals £90 or have bloods taken (again £90) to show antibodies or wait until I’m there to have them. I told her I’d rather have them done in the UK so she gave me both MMR and TB in both arms and I’ll need to top up at my doctors in 4 weeks time. Phew! That’s one thing I was worried about out of the way! I was given a sheet with info on my jabs and to give to my doctor for the booster in 4 weeks time and will have the sheet in my visa pack confirming I’ve had the required jabs. I’ve got a copy too. 

Now back in the waiting room. One hour has gone by. I guess the next stage is bloods!

Still waiting. Had a chat with another actor which broke the silence nicely. I’m guessing the wait is because they’re seeing everyone else who was in here earlier! Lots of waiting here though. I’m glad I’ve got my iPad to do work on, word of warnng: bring a book or something to do! 

I’ve been in for my check up, the nurse applogised for the wait but it’s fine. I then had to sign my photo to confirm it’s me, and so did she. We then went through the medical questionnaire and I had to strip to my boxers and wear a gown. 

She checked my lungs and blood pressure, took my pulse and took blood and my temperature. We then had a quick chat and I asked for a sticker for being a brave boy. Pleased to say, I’m now wearing said sticker. 

With regards to the patient summary, they definitely need it. If you’re going to the medical thinking “I’m fit and healthy and haven’t been to the doctors in years, the summary won’t say anything so what’s the point!” like I thought, then you’ll be wrong. They need it to prove you’re not lying. Luckily, my interview isn’t for another 5 weeks, so I’ve got plenty of time to get it. They said I can either email a scanned copy or fax it to them. As long as it’s legible and prints onto A4 paper. 

I’m now just waiting to get my passport back and then pay the small fortune and I’ll be all done!

1pm 

Finished! I was given my passport back and all proof of vaccinations. In all, it cost me £420 including vaccinations. But it was worth it for the sticker. I even asked if they took clubcard points. 

Well that’s it for my experience at the visa medical at Knightsbridge. It took a little bit longer than thought but that’s probably because of the vaccinations. Everyone was lovely and I had a good laugh with them. Good luck for when you go! It’s not as bad as you think! Remember, fear only exists in the mind! Once you’re done, you’re closer to living a whole new life!

ED7CB576-F1DB-4329-986D-B97301B3DBD4.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  I actually was able to read the entire scenario.  It was interesting & fun reading from beginning to end.  Much success to both of you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I love this sticker! This was a great story! I hope my fiance has a great experience and get a nice sticker once we are approved! My fiance also doesn't have anything on his medical record, would you say he should go ahead and get the shots needed so he will be ready encase his wait is not as far out as 5 weeks for the interview?

Timeline

Haha glad you like the sticker! It’s firmly attached to my medical folder now! 

I’d say yes get vaccinations as soon as he can as he’ll need a booster 4 weeks later at his doctors. It’s not vital to have them for the K visa, but when he changes status in the states, he’ll need them by then. I chose to have them done here so I don’t have to worry about it later. Also, TB is once a lifetime in the UK but in the states it’s once every 10 years, so he’ll need it done anyway! 

Also make sure he’s got his patient summary from his doctors. They won’t pass on the results of his medical without it so it’s pretty vital! 

Good luck!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, GamericaC said:

Haha glad you like the sticker! It’s firmly attached to my medical folder now! 

I’d say yes get vaccinations as soon as he can as he’ll need a booster 4 weeks later at his doctors. It’s not vital to have them for the K visa, but when he changes status in the states, he’ll need them by then. I chose to have them done here so I don’t have to worry about it later. Also, TB is once a lifetime in the UK but in the states it’s once every 10 years, so he’ll need it done anyway! 

Also make sure he’s got his patient summary from his doctors. They won’t pass on the results of his medical without it so it’s pretty vital! 

Good luck!

OK Thanks! So he would have to just schedule an appointment for a regular doctors check up and they will do like a physical and that's what will be on the patient summer?

Timeline

No need for a check-up as that’s what they’ll do in the actual medical. The summary will just say any medication, hospitalisations, surgery’s he’s had etc. If he hasn’t had any and is fine, then I’m assuming it’ll just say something like ‘no medication etc’ just to prove he’s not lying! They just need something official in writing. 

He just needs to contact his doctor and ask for a summary, not a full medical record, just the basics. It might take them a few days to get it and they might charge him a few pounds but nothing extortionate, they can’t withhold details and by law, they can’t charge more than £50. 

I need to to get mine next week so when I receive it I’ll post an update. 

Timeline

Great read loved it.😂😂😂😂 But should of been posted here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

event.png

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do OLD SITE

https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ NEW SITE

https://www.house.gov/representatives US Congressmen 

https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm US Senators 

IN REGARDS TO WHICH DATE TO USE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noa1 date is actually they date on ur hard copy. Sadly if u reach the magical 220 day u must wait till 225 to contact Uscis. They use what the new site says. Even if ur paper says X date. 

They added 5 days onto everyone’s accepted on NOA1

Timeline

Ah! I thought I’d posted it in the wrong place! Thank you! I’ll copy and paste it over there! Thanks! I’m glad you enjoyed the read!

Timeline
1 hour ago, GamericaC said:

No need for a check-up as that’s what they’ll do in the actual medical. The summary will just say any medication, hospitalisations, surgery’s he’s had etc. If he hasn’t had any and is fine, then I’m assuming it’ll just say something like ‘no medication etc’ just to prove he’s not lying! They just need something official in writing. 

He just needs to contact his doctor and ask for a summary, not a full medical record, just the basics. It might take them a few days to get it and they might charge him a few pounds but nothing extortionate, they can’t withhold details and by law, they can’t charge more than £50. 

I need to to get mine next week so when I receive it I’ll post an update. 

OOOOOKKKKK one more question and then I will stop bugging you! I PROMISE! 😂 My fiance is originally from Nigeria but he has been living in Turkey for the last five years! Do you think he will have to get his patient summery from a doctor in Nigeria or will they be able to transfer it to a doctor in Turkey? (He has only been to the hospital for a mild cold or flu nothing serious since hes been living in turkey) I just want to know if he will have to make a trip to Nigeria or not! Hes already saying he may have to for the police report he has to take to the interview as well but we just don't know! Still waiting on an approval so I'm trying to research this stuff early! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Chea said:

OOOOOKKKKK one more question and then I will stop bugging you! I PROMISE! 😂 My fiance is originally from Nigeria but he has been living in Turkey for the last five years! Do you think he will have to get his patient summery from a doctor in Nigeria or will they be able to transfer it to a doctor in Turkey? (He has only been to the hospital for a mild cold or flu nothing serious since hes been living in turkey) I just want to know if he will have to make a trip to Nigeria or not! Hes already saying he may have to for the police report he has to take to the interview as well but we just don't know! Still waiting on an approval so I'm trying to research this stuff early! 

Everything in that review is specific to a medical exam in the clinic in London. Yours could be very different in Turkey.  Start here https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/iv-dv-supplemental/ANK-Ankara.pdf#page2 and open the Medical Exam Instructions. 

The website of your clinic http://www.doctorun.com/en/home-page

Emal them and ask your question. You'll get a more accurate answer.

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline

Ooh I don’t really know I’m sorry! All I know is in the UK it will take a few weeks (depending on the doctors) to transfer patient records. I don’t know about transfers to different countries. Best for him to contact his doctors and see what options he has! It sounds like you’re planning ahead which is the best thing to do as it’ll save any potential future problems! Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
4 hours ago, Chea said:

Hes already saying he may have to for the police report he has to take to the interview as well but we just don't know! Still waiting on an approval so I'm trying to research this stuff early! 

Scroll down this page to find police certificate info for Nigeria.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Nigeria.html

Also research the steps specific for embassy in Turkey. Every embassy does K1 differently so if you go by what somebody from  another country says, it may not be what your fiancé has to do. 

Timeline
On 9/21/2018 at 7:56 PM, Wuozopo said:

Scroll down this page to find police certificate info for Nigeria.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Nigeria.html

Also research the steps specific for embassy in Turkey. Every embassy does K1 differently so if you go by what somebody from  another country says, it may not be what your fiancé has to do. 

OK great thank you so much

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.