ZenSavior

i129F Passport Style Photograph

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I don't understand what "original photo" means in a world when all photos are digital.

For my fiancee's photo she took a selfie, texted it to me. I fed it through an online passport photo sizer, then sent it Walgreens to be professionally printed, and used that. Our I-129F petition was approved just fine.

Maybe I129-F's are done purely online now?

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I don't understand what "original photo" means in a world when all photos are digital.

For my fiancee's photo she took a selfie, texted it to me. I fed it through an online passport photo sizer, then sent it Walgreens to be professionally printed, and used that. Our I-129F petition was approved just fine.

Maybe I129-F's are done purely online now?

That's incorrect. They're done through the mail, and the most common and fool proof way is to get a professional photo taken.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
6 hours ago, JDP91 said:

Doesn't have to be verified or even signed... just named.

See the I-129F instructions:

Photographs

You must submit one color passport-style photograph of yourself and one color passport-style photograph of the beneficiary taken within 30 days of filing this petition. The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and be unmounted and unretouched.

The color passport-style photos must be 2 by 2 inches. The photos must be in color with full face, frontal view on a white to off-white background. Head height should measure 1 to 1 3/8 inches from top of hair to bottom of chin, and eye height is between 1 1/8 to 1 3/8 inches from bottom of photo. Your head must be bare unless you are wearing headwear as required by a religious denomination of which you are a member. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and A-Number (if any) on the back of the photo.

Thank you! I thought you just needed a name since thats all I saw. My fiance had to sign/date/ and verify his photo when he did his passport a few years ago so we just wanted to be sure!

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jaquelly said:

That's incorrect. They're done through the mail, and the most common and fool proof way is to get a professional photo taken.

I used to get visa and passport photos taken at Sears. And that was indeed fool proof. But then Sears went out of business. Then I tried Wal-Mart, Walgreens, etc. and decided that if "professional" means paying someone to give me a photo that the authorities won't use, it's a waste of $20.

Professional photographers don't really exist in most places. Artist photogs exist, but they tend to not be in visa photo biz.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

I used to get visa and passport photos taken at Sears. And that was indeed fool proof. But then Sears went out of business. Then I tried Wal-Mart, Walgreens, etc. and decided that if "professional" means paying someone to give me a photo that the authorities won't use, it's a waste of $20.

Professional photographers don't really exist in most places. Artist photogs exist, but they tend to not be in visa photo biz.

In the United Sates, you can go to any US postal office and they will take a passport photo. 

With that being said, a selfie may not qualify for a passport photo. The coloring, sizing, dimensions and quality must be to a certain standard. I will never advocate to anyone on this site to use a selfie and take that gamble.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

In the United Sates, you can go to any US postal office and they will take a passport photo. 

With that being said, a selfie may not qualify for a passport photo. The coloring, sizing, dimensions and quality must be to a certain standard. I will never advocate to anyone on this site to use a selfie and take that gamble.

Alas, my fiancee is not in the USA (check the topic of this particular forum and thread).

Coloring: it's an iPhone X. That's a camera above any standard.

Sizing: there's a app for that.

Dimensions: that's the same as sizing.

Quality: that's why you upload it to walgreens,com an had it professionally printed.

And the passport photo I had the post office was well below what Sears use to do.

Just now, Mike E said:

Alas, my fiancee is not in the USA (check the topic of this particular forum and thread).

Their fiance is in Canada. This thread is not specifically for you or your fiance, nor is this forum for any specific country. Also, talking to me like I'm an idiot isn't going to sway me from suggesting to people not to send in selfies. That's like begging for a RFE if you don't get it 100% to specifications. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

Their fiance is in Canada. This thread is not specifically for you or your fiance, nor is this forum for any specific country. Also, talking to me like I'm an idiot isn't going to sway me from suggesting to people not to send in selfies. That's like begging for a RFE if you don't get it 100% to specifications. 

Canada has different dimensions for its passport photos, so that's error prone too, and also begging for an RFE.

Edited by Mike E

Just now, Mike E said:

Canada has difference dimensions for passport photos, so that's error prone too, and also begging for an RFE.

Sigh.

The petitioner AND the beneficiary must both send in US sized passport photos. Do you even know what you're arguing about here?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 9/20/2018 at 1:37 PM, ZenSavior said:

Hello!

I was reading up on the requirement for a PASSPORT STYLE (2x2) photo of both the beneficiary and petitioner to be included in the packet with the i-129f petition

I got my photos today (I am the beneficiary) and have dated / signed the back... do I need to physically mail the photo now to my fiancee or will a scan/print be acceptable?

Whats the most efficient way?

My fiance took his picture, put on a flash drive and e-mailed it to me. I printed it out at Walmart, and everything was fine !

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Canada has different dimensions for its passport photos, so that's error prone too, and also begging for an RFE.

You can go to London Drugs and get the US size though. For a lot cheaper than I can get Canadian ones in the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
15 hours ago, Lucy&Jason said:

@JDP91 I had to checked your timeline to see it’s really you. Hahaha.. You are both looking so awesome guys... Stay inlove for it radiates...

Awww, thank you! ❤️ we’re so excited for the move and the wedding :D 

01/22/2018: Filed I-129F

10/11/2018: K-1 Interview (Guangzhou, China) -- approved at last!

02/14/2019: POE

02/21/2019: We're married, baby!

03/29/2019: Filed for AOS, EAD, and AP

02/07/2022: Filed for ROC

12/13/2022: Filed N400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
25 minutes ago, JDP91 said:

Awww, thank you! ❤️ we’re so excited for the move and the wedding :D 

I would definitely feel the same way too..😍😍😍

Timeline
On 9/21/2018 at 2:00 PM, NikLR said:

You can go to London Drugs and get the US size though. For a lot cheaper than I can get Canadian ones in the USA.

Yes you can go to a drug store and get passport photos that will be rejected. It isn't like 17 year old taking the pic knows what will pass muster. I've had too many photos from drugstores rejected by Canadian or USA passport authorities to count. As some point one learns a lesson and decides that something must be done themselves. 

I am utterly dreading renewing my Canadian passport in 8 years, because of the stupid requirement that the photographer's name must be stamped on the back of the photo. 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Yes you can go to a drug store and get passport photos that will be rejected. It isn't like 17 year old taking the pic knows what will pass muster. I've had too many photos from drugstores rejected by Canadian or USA passport authorities to count. As some point one learns a lesson and decides that something must be done themselves. 

I am utterly dreading renewing my Canadian passport in 8 years, because of the stupid requirement that the photographer's name must be stamped on the back of the photo. 

I have a) never had a 17 year old take my passport photo, b) never had a photo from London Drugs (a very SPECIFIC drug store in Canada) not pass either Canadian or US customs for either size.  BUT YMMV obviously.   Maybe the one in the city I lived in just happened to be rather competent.  Considering how strict Canadian photos have been for some time now and yet nary an issue from them or costco. 

I paid $40 in the USA for my Canadian passport photos from a photo studio with an almost zero rejection rate, and fancy that, it completely worked out. Huh.... 

Also if you have a US passport, you don't need a Canadian one anymore. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.