Uoas

Culture Shock & Adjusting to American Life

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I wanted to ask this question to any of the older VJ users from the MENA region who have already moved to the US.

What was the biggest culture shock for your SO? The hardest thing to get used to about living in America? Biggest challenges? What they liked/disliked the most? What made it easier and what made adjusting worse? What would your recommendations be for those preparing to move to America from the MENA region and what can their spouse do to better help them adjust? I would love to hear your stories and experience on this topic as I think it would be helpful to those getting ready to start this new chapter in their lives. 

Met: 10/15/2015

Married: 04/30/2017

I-130 Sent: 10/13/2017

NOA1: 10/18/2017

NOA2: 06/02/2018

NVC: 07/06/2018

NVC CC: 08/17/2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hardest adjustment was finding work. We live in a medium sized city and a lot of places are hesitant to hire people with no US work experience. This is probably even more true for MENA men with Muslim names. 

Other than that, my husband misses Moroccan food! He thinks the food in the US is too sweet and processed. Luckily he can cook most Moroccan meals for himself. 

He also sometimes misses the sense of community that you will find in the MENA region, where people generally know their neighbours, celebrate together, share the same faith, ECT. 

One thing he does like about America (at least where we live) is the diversity in landscapes and people. I think one of the most helpful things will be pushing him to make new friends. Overall it does take a lot of patience, especially if he's never been outside of the MENA region. It's almost like a whole different world in some aspects. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

cultural shock as in the usual American ways of life and we wouldn't understand it. I used to google search such things all the time. But I am so lucky to have colleagues from many countries ( i work with 9 different nationality people along with my American colleagues in my office) and my wife by my side life is awesome.

Had an issue with driving. Early when I was learning to drive in America, I almost killed us (that is how my wife puts) but I made a turn towards oncoming traffic. Boy that day was horrible, I felt so bad. Good lord nothing happened, people honked at us and yelled. 

Had issue finding the right job. But again with time, everything will be fine. I too miss food but I cook mostly at home. The most I miss is the street food, that yelling, and swearing with friends in the local language and my friend.

I have amazing brilliant colleagues, I work with here in America but I don't feel the same connection with them as I used.  I know with time, everything will be fine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Food. The language.

I cant think of one thing that can make it better to adjust...but to be patient and understanding of each other. IF he comes here, he is most likely leaving behind a big close family. This was the biggest struggle. So if you have other Moroccans he can socialize with in your community that's a big plus.... encourage this fellowship.

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband was frustrated with the fact that he had to go from a job where he was managing his team to a job where his position was bottom of the chain of command. He doesn’t like that his experience and education was not valued when seeking a job.

He also believes people in America are not always true to their emotions...they smile at you even if they don’t like you (then talk behind your back). He says people are much more authentic with the way they relate to each other in Egypt.

I searched for places he could go that would remind him of home. There are a few coffee shops/shisha places he goes where the Egyptian men gather. We also eat at Mediterranean restaurants. Thankfully he has found some friends who understand his culture and way of doing things.

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The food / Moroccan olive oil 

you should not have trouble finding a job in Orlando

bring some twigs of mint for tea / I did and we have a big mint garden now

easy to find the gunpowder tea (it is online if u don't have an international store nearby)

Chicago store imports Morocco olive oil and other products

living in the country and not being able to walk down a street to a cafe and watch futbal  with freinds

work is too strict here / was never on a timeline or time clock before

the tax system and all the money that is taken out of my pay

the cost of insurance (for everything)

good thing my wife is easy to live with or US would be hard

people are not as friendly 

in Morocco they welcome a new person and introduce themselves

15 hours ago, Uoas said:

I wanted to ask this question to any of the older VJ users from the MENA region who have already moved to the US.

What was the biggest culture shock for your SO? The hardest thing to get used to about living in America? Biggest challenges? What they liked/disliked the most? What made it easier and what made adjusting worse? What would your recommendations be for those preparing to move to America from the MENA region and what can their spouse do to better help them adjust? I would love to hear your stories and experience on this topic as I think it would be helpful to those getting ready to start this new chapter in their lives. 

My fiance is not with me yet but theres alot of job opportunities in Orlando, theres also a large Moroccan community there so it will be easy for him to make friends. Wishing you all the best.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

On the USC side it was harder for me to adjust and always eat his Moroccan food 

than it has been for him

Jeanne

Timeline
1 hour ago, Hobidyali said:

My fiance is not with me yet but theres alot of job opportunities in Orlando, theres also a large Moroccan community there so it will be easy for him to make friends. Wishing you all the best.

Yea we have a huge muslim community in Orlando as well along with a large MENA community, which I'm really grateful for as it will make it less difficult for him to find friends and ease into things. Disney also employs a lot of Moroccans as well outside of those already living in Orlando, I really hope that will help him!

Thank you so much! I hope everything goes well for you and your fiance! The best we can do is support them and try to make the transition as easy as possible on them!🤗

Timeline
2 hours ago, visaqueries said:

My husband was frustrated with the fact that he had to go from a job where he was managing his team to a job where his position was bottom of the chain of command. He doesn’t like that his experience and education was not valued when seeking a job.

He also believes people in America are not always true to their emotions...they smile at you even if they don’t like you (then talk behind your back). He says people are much more authentic with the way they relate to each other in Egypt.

I searched for places he could go that would remind him of home. There are a few coffee shops/shisha places he goes where the Egyptian men gather. We also eat at Mediterranean restaurants. Thankfully he has found some friends who understand his culture and way of doing things.

I think that's what we're both worried about that as well. My husband is an engineer so we're working on getting his degrees internationally accredited and hoping that will help with the employment situation once he gets to the States.  I can't even image how frustrated he must've been having to deal with job searches. I guess we'll have to prepare for those challenges but it's good to have an idea now of what to expect so we're not blindsided. Thank you for the advice and sharing your experience!

8 minutes ago, Uoas said:

Yea we have a huge muslim community in Orlando as well along with a large MENA community, which I'm really grateful for as it will make it less difficult for him to find friends and ease into things. Disney also employs a lot of Moroccans as well outside of those already living in Orlando, I really hope that will help him!

Thank you so much! I hope everything goes well for you and your fiance! The best we can do is support them and try to make the transition as easy as possible on them!🤗

Yes definitely, it will definitely be hopefully an easier transition for him since there are many Moroccans . He will hopefully be able to make friends so that he doesn't feel so out of his element and the work situation is also very very good. There are alot of job opportunities and even Uber, cause of the tourism once he has his license he can do that. Overall, a great city for a newcomer from MA and it doesn't hurt that housing and even buying a home is relatively lower than most other cities in the u.s. Thank you and I also wish for you a speedy and smooth transition throughout your case . 

1 minute ago, Uoas said:

I think that's what we're both worried about that as well. My husband is an engineer so we're working on getting his degrees internationally accredited and hoping that will help with the employment situation once he gets to the States.  I can't even image how frustrated he must've been having to deal with job searches. I guess we'll have to prepare for those challenges but it's good to have an idea now of what to expect so we're not blindsided. Thank you for the advice and sharing your experience!

Look into a company called Joseph Silny & Associates, they are out of Miami, he's great at validating foreign degrees, I would definitely look into that. He might not get a job as an Engineer right away but maybe with the validation a job in an Engineers office while he takes the necessary state licenses and/or examinations. The point is, he will do just fine and in the end he will be on his way and alright. Best of luck.

Timeline
2 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

The food / Moroccan olive oil 

you should not have trouble finding a job in Orlando

bring some twigs of mint for tea / I did and we have a big mint garden now

easy to find the gunpowder tea (it is online if u don't have an international store nearby)

Chicago store imports Morocco olive oil and other products

living in the country and not being able to walk down a street to a cafe and watch futbal  with freinds

work is too strict here / was never on a timeline or time clock before

the tax system and all the money that is taken out of my pay

the cost of insurance (for everything)

good thing my wife is easy to live with or US would be hard

people are not as friendly 

in Morocco they welcome a new person and introduce themselves

I didn't think about bringing mint but that's a good idea! His family is from the Rif so olive oil is a must. I'm wondering how much we can get away with packing in our suitcases. 🤔I know his unlce had issues in the past when he tried to bring some back to Canada in his checked bag. Have you brought olive oil back from Morocco in large amounts? The most I've brought back was a liter but I'm hoping to get away with bringing 10 liters back. 

I'm sorry you didn't find Americans friendly. I was shocked by how friendly Moroccans are and the personal space standard is very different compared to Americans. Hopefully that won't be too shocking for him 😅

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Hobidyali said:

Look into a company called Joseph Silny & Associates, they are out of Miami, he's great at validating foreign degrees, I would definitely look into that. He might not get a job as an Engineer right away but maybe with the validation a job in an Engineers office while he takes the necessary state licenses and/or examinations. The point is, he will do just fine and in the end he will be on his way and alright. Best of luck.

Thank you so much!  I will definitely look into what they can do for us! We're currently sending all his documents to WES since I've seen a lot of universities request international students validate their degree/education through them. Having a validation from FL sounds better though! Yea that's very true! Worst case scenario he works and retakes some courses at UCF.

I didn't realize you are from the Orlando area as well! What a small world 😊

Timeline
11 hours ago, Uoas said:

I think that's what we're both worried about that as well. My husband is an engineer so we're working on getting his degrees internationally accredited and hoping that will help with the employment situation once he gets to the States.  

Idk how it is with engineering but as an RN I've seen dozens of international doctors have to redo medical school and/or residency even after being physicians in their home country for years. 

I hope its easier with engineering.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.