The Nature  Boy

Retired Indy 500 driver Derek Daly fired from TV job for use of N-word 35 years ago

86 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

do you agree that these sorts of things are up to the employer?

if nyt wants to take the heat for joeng - it's their call

if wish-tv wants to fire daly for whatever he said or didn't say 35 years ago - it's their call

if espn wants to buy out hill's contract - it's their call

or if the NFL wants to discipline players for kneeling for the anthem or not hire Kaepernick because of all the drama he has caused.

Thats cool to, right ? 

1 minute ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

or if the NFL wants to discipline players for kneeling for the anthem or not hire Kaepernick because of all the drama he has caused.

Thats cool to, right ? 

if that's what they want to do. my main issue with that whole scenario is trump's involvement/tweets. 

similarly, if networks choose not to air the anthem (which is not a new practice contrary to what trump says)..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

if that's what they want to do. my main issue with that whole scenario is trump's involvement/tweets. 

similarly, if networks choose not to air the anthem (which is not a new practice contrary to what trump says)..

Right because Trump is not allowed to have free speech rights as President.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
1 hour ago, smilesammich said:

who are you talking about, jeong? do we really have to go over this again? 

blows my mind that trump's tweets are met with a big ol shrug but when considering jeong's tweets - poor girl can't even get some context.

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/3/17644704/sarah-jeong-new-york-times-tweets-backlash-racism

You do know that racism is in the eye of the beholder.  It really doesn't matter what you think, or what I think.  If someone was offended by her harsh words no matter the context then she was acting in a racist manner.  I know the Vox article says she is just responding to her own haters, but I wonder how these folks came to hate a fairly unknown person?  Maybe she herself generated a reason for those to hate her.

7 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Right because Trump is not allowed to have free speech rights as President.

that's not what i said. 

seriously, it's really as simple as leaving these things up to employers. i'm pretty sure that the whole kneeling thing wouldn't even be an issue anymore if trump hadn't made it his pet dog whistle to his base.

6 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

You do know that racism is in the eye of the beholder.  It really doesn't matter what you think, or what I think.  If someone was offended by her harsh words no matter the context then she was acting in a racist manner.  I know the Vox article says she is just responding to her own haters, but I wonder how these folks came to hate a fairly unknown person?  Maybe she herself generated a reason for those to hate her.

she generated that hate by being a feminist and progressive.

racism isn't about being offended.

1 hour ago, Satisfied said:

No.  A person who chooses to stay true to their religious beliefs (pretty much all religions believe gay=wrong) is not a bigot. The bible is not an opinion, it is a life guide handed down for generstions. 

However, you calling them a bigot because you don't agree with their religious belief... now that is textbook bigotry.

And again: treating white people badly, to include being racist towards them, is ok today.  Got it.  We have to pay for the sins of our forefathers.  Noted.

Bigotry is bigotry. It is not justified because of religious beliefs or any other beliefs, although certainly many have tried. Many religions evolved with a core belief that followers are right and non followers are wrong, a belief which itself contains an element of bigotry. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

4 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

she generated hate by using racist speech and concepts, her comments were racist although I tend to believe her intent was to highlight what head been dealt to her and not to be racist, not forgiving her for her comments, but understanding her motivation for making them. I find it odd that people defend her speech as much ado about nothing, but choose to vilify a person from a not-protected class for their use of similarly invictive speach

1 minute ago, Randyandyuni said:

she generated hate by using racist speech and concepts, her comments were racist although I tend to believe her intent was to highlight what head been dealt to her and not to be racist, not forgiving her for her comments, but understanding her motivation for making them. I find it odd that people defend her speech as much ado about nothing, but choose to vilify a person from a not-protected class for their use of similarly invictive speach

i've read the article and i don't see where daly was fired due to vilification from a particular group. was their some sort of online campaign to have daly fired? 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

Sure it is and this lady was very racist and very offensive in her comments.  It is much like that feminist professor being punished under Title IX for harrassing one of her students.  Just because someone is a feminist and a regressive doesn't mean that they cannot also be a racist.

Edited by Bill & Katya

7 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

i've read the article and i don't see where daly was fired due to vilification from a particular group. was their some sort of online campaign to have daly fired? 

I responded to your comment not the OP

7 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Sure it is and this lady was very racist and very offensive in her comments.  It is much like that feminist professor being punished under Title IX for harrassing one of her students.  Just because someone is a feminist and a regressive doesn't mean that they cannot also be a racist.

no, racism is not about being offended. maybe that's why there is so much confusion on this board as to who is a victim of racism.

2 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

I responded to your comment not the OP

my comment is regarding the op. i was specifically commenting on what you find odd:

I find it odd that people defend her speech as much ado about nothing, but choose to vilify a person from a not-protected class for their use of similarly invictive speach

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
On 8/25/2018 at 2:03 PM, Randyandyuni said:

Next time I am called a white boy or Caspar I will demand that the person is fired

amm! not agreeing with the firing but the terms "white boy" or "casper" are not racial slurs. They do not, have not, and can not bare the same historical or derogatory meaning as the word ***. Sorry but their is just no comparison. 

9 minutes ago, IndigoPhantom said:

amm! not agreeing with the firing but the terms "white boy" or "casper" are not racial slurs. They do not, have not, and can not bare the same historical or derogatory meaning as the word ***. Sorry but their is just no comparison. 

If I find them racially demeaning how are they not racial slurs? White boy is meant to be racially demeaning, as is Caspar as is Cracker as is Red Neck. I agree with you that they do not have the same historical significance as the N-Word but they are meant to be just as universally derogatory terms of skin complexion. If the N-word is so heinous, remove it from use entirely, I cannot hear a hip hop song without hearing it. Another word that had similar negativity  but different connotations was retarded, it has since been replaced with special and developmentally disabled as more politically correct, It is very rare when I hear the term retarded now and the replacement terms are much less tainted and offensive.

But if you think white boy is not racially demeaning or a slur, substitute another color, brown or yellow oerhaps, or remove color altogether and refer to someone as boy, outside the Philippines it will get you popped

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, smilesammich said:

do you agree that these sorts of things are up to the employer?

if nyt wants to take the heat for joeng - it's their call

if wish-tv wants to fire daly for whatever he said or didn't say 35 years ago - it's their call

if espn wants to buy out hill's contract - it's their call

I know you weren't asking me, but no, it's NOT up to the NYT.  We have people like you to tell us we are racist as white males, and that non-whites cannot be racists.