The Nature  Boy

Retired Indy 500 driver Derek Daly fired from TV job for use of N-word 35 years ago

86 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Steeleballz said:

Bigotry is bigotry. It is not justified because of religious beliefs or any other beliefs, although certainly many have tried. Many religions evolved with a core belief that followers are right and non followers are wrong, a belief which itself contains an element of bigotry. 

Then by not agreeing with Christians who are opposed to gays, you are a bigot, right?

Filed: Timeline
29 minutes ago, IndigoPhantom said:

amm! not agreeing with the firing but the terms "white boy" or "casper" are not racial slurs. They do not, have not, and can not bare the same historical or derogatory meaning as the word ***. Sorry but their is just no comparison. 

What about "honkey"?

33 minutes ago, IndigoPhantom said:

amm! not agreeing with the firing but the terms "white boy" or "casper" are not racial slurs. They do not, have not, and can not bare the same historical or derogatory meaning as the word ***. Sorry but their is just no comparison. 

i hear that word many times a day at work. Oddly enough from people of color 

15 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

If I find them racially demeaning how are they not racial slurs? White boy is meant to be racially demeaning, as is Caspar as is Cracker as is Red Neck. I agree with you that they do not have the same historical significance as the N-Word but they are meant to be just as universally derogatory terms of skin complexion. If the N-word is so heinous, remove it from use entirely, I cannot hear a hip hop song without hearing it. Another word that had similar negativity  but different connotations was retarded, it has since been replaced with special and developmentally disabled as more politically correct, It is very rare when I hear the term retarded now and the replacement terms are much less tainted and offensive.

But if you think white boy is not racially demeaning or a slur, substitute another color, brown or yellow oerhaps, or remove color altogether and refer to someone as boy, outside the Philippines it will get you popped

You can not get 4 bars into almost any Tupac song other than Ghetto Gospel  without hearing the dreaded word. Also the self described word Thug. Oddly enough

I got a very good friend at work. He is socially as black as they come, but has white skin. Love the guy like a brother 

His nickname is "White Boy" from his day in the "black Mafia Family" 

16 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

I know you weren't asking me, but no, it's NOT up to the NYT.  

it's not up to nyt who they hire and fire? who makes these decisions for them then?

9 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

Then by not agreeing with Christians who are opposed to gays, you are a bigot, right?

Not based on agreeing or disagreeing, but more so on prejudice or intolerance of others beliefs. People can definitely be bigoted against other people because of their religion. Not just Christianity either. I think we've seen several examples with other religions as well. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

12 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

What about "honkey"?

9 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

i hear that word many times a day at work. Oddly enough from people of color 

i'm just going to point out that there's a reason you don't have censor these terms but you have to censor actual racial slurs.

so a racial denigration targeting only Non-POC is acceptable and tolerable since we are mean and nasty people historically probably deserving of any and all sorts of intolerances?  Please ......

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
41 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

If I find them racially demeaning how are they not racial slurs? White boy is meant to be racially demeaning, as is Caspar as is Cracker as is Red Neck. I agree with you that they do not have the same historical significance as the N-Word but they are meant to be just as universally derogatory terms of skin complexion. If the N-word is so heinous, remove it from use entirely, I cannot hear a hip hop song without hearing it. Another word that had similar negativity  but different connotations was retarded, it has since been replaced with special and developmentally disabled as more politically correct, It is very rare when I hear the term retarded now and the replacement terms are much less tainted and offensive.

But if you think white boy is not racially demeaning or a slur, substitute another color, brown or yellow oerhaps, or remove color altogether and refer to someone as boy, outside the Philippines it will get you popped

First of all it is understandable that words don't have meaning without context also words have different meanings within different communities. Take that word redneck, you say it is a racially beaming word but you will hear it used more often by the whites living in rural areas in the south as well as the word white trash. They don't use this word among themselves because they are derogatory against themselves. To them that word redneck has a different meaning is if a black person was to use it. So the same goes with the N-word or the word fa***t among the gay community. 

We all know and understand that regardless of how we see, understand, or view certain words that it is normal actually for certain groups of people to use the words that are derogatory in an ironic fashion. So why is their so much hand ringing when black people do it?

I have a lot of gay friends and whenever we are out and about I will often hear them use the term fa***t a lot but I personally don't join in and use the word. Just like when I was in a Biology group project in college and one of my partners introduced his friends as my red neck buddy, I didn't then refer to that individual as a red neck. And most importantly I would never have the desire to do so. Its really that simple.

As complicated as you want to make it, their is really a lot to be learned from refraining. 

47 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

Casper is a friendly ghost. Caspar is a saint. I wouldn't take offense to either, but as always, I think whether offense is taken or not always falls on the recipient of the term. I have taken offense to the term "boy" before. I don't think it's appropriate to refer to any adult with that term. The person who said it was a friend, and said he meant no offense. I was otherwise in a good mood, so I just basically explained to him what I said here. Haven't heard the term again.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

2 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

so a racial denigration targeting only Non-POC is acceptable and tolerable since we are mean and nasty people historically probably deserving of any and all sorts of intolerances?  Please ......

are you dismissing your own assessment? because no one has said anything close to this.

3 minutes ago, IndigoPhantom said:

First of all it is understandable that words don't have meaning without context also words have different meanings within different communities. Take that word redneck, you say it is a racially beaming word but you will hear it used more often by the whites living in rural areas in the south as well as the word white trash. They don't use this word among themselves because they are derogatory against themselves. To them that word redneck has a different meaning is if a black person was to use it. So the same goes with the N-word or the word fa***t among the gay community. 

We all know and understand that regardless of how we see, understand, or view certain words that it is normal actually for certain groups of people to use the words that are derogatory in an ironic fashion. So why is their so much hand ringing when black people do it?

I have a lot of gay friends and whenever we are out and about I will often hear them use the term fa***t a lot but I personally don't join in and use the word. Just like when I was in a Biology group project in college and one of my partners introduced his friends as my red neck buddy, I didn't then refer to that individual as a red neck. And most importantly I would never have the desire to do so. Its really that simple.

As complicated as you want to make it, their is really a lot to be learned from refraining. 

I do refrain from using the N-word, as you say about the term red neck it is often used amongst southern whites, the use of the N-word in dialogue and song by blacks is comparable to usage by white of the term red neck, probably not as lethal but comparable. The difference is, I used the term N-word, Red Neck just fell from your mouth as an acceptable term ... sorry double standard there,

I do not use the term F**ot either

I am not using this forum to be complicated or make things more difficult, I am showing how some can take offense to a particular word but show disdain for someone else using a derogatory word to someone else

8 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

are you dismissing your own assessment? because no one has said anything close to this.

not at all, please see my response above to IndigoPhantam