northwest-boys

When to leave your job (K1 visa application)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

We're currently between NOA 2 and NVC stage in the K1 visa process and I was wondering, at what point is it best for the beneficiary to hand in their notice at work and leave their job before eventual Point of Entry.

I have to give at least 1 month notice at my current job. I'm stuck on what to do because obviously I want to have as much quality time with friends and family before I leave, but at the same time I don't want to jump the gun and leave too early.

I'm also having trouble finding any information on how this affects the process, does it matter if I've left my job already by the time I have my Embassy interview, no I still need to be in work until after the interview? I really don't like the idea of having to wait yet another month after the interview just because of my notice period.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences of when they finished working before POE.

Many thanks!

It is advise that no decision like this should be made before your interview. If successful at interview you will have 6 months to leave your country. The wait can be stressful, but anything can happen at the interview stage. 

It doesn’t really matter for the process itself nor does it have a time frame set to do it. It’s up to the beneficiary and their own circumstances. 

Since you’ll have 6 months from medical to enter the US, there’s time to decide.

Id stay as long as you can, so you can save more money and have a more recent job history when applying for jobs here

good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, northwest-boys said:

Hi Everyone,

We're currently between NOA 2 and NVC stage in the K1 visa process and I was wondering, at what point is it best for the beneficiary to hand in their notice at work and leave their job before eventual Point of Entry.

I have to give at least 1 month notice at my current job. I'm stuck on what to do because obviously I want to have as much quality time with friends and family before I leave, but at the same time I don't want to jump the gun and leave too early.

I'm also having trouble finding any information on how this affects the process, does it matter if I've left my job already by the time I have my Embassy interview, no I still need to be in work until after the interview? I really don't like the idea of having to wait yet another month after the interview just because of my notice period.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences of when they finished working before POE.

Many thanks!

I was approved in the middle of may, London didn't even get my case until beginning of July. I had my interview on August 10th, Just getting my VISA today. Handed in my notice Yesterday for 4 weeks. You can still experience so many delays, so if you know you can support yourself financially until you end up getting a flight out, leave whenever you want.

They wont ask about your job, just when you plan to leave.

Edit: My last day is 21/09, flight out is 28/09

Edited by LeesaMarie

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I waited until the visa arrived to give a month's notice at work. Then I spent the next month (after ending work) preparing to leave. Sold or gave away appliances, TV, etc.  Sold two cars. Filled out P85. And mostly sorted, packed, and inventoried boxes for shipping.  In the meantime my fiancé filled out all the AOS (3 applications) with documentation as much as could be done before arrival. She researched marriage license and made a plan for a marriage ceremony a few days after arrival. Also figured out how to get the certified marriage certificate the day after. Our AOS was in the mail just over a week after POE.  I don't regret the time spent getting prepared. It made my transition easier.  No frustration or surprises on the older side. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.