Angel & Joseph

Forgot to include the letter of intent to marry in K1 visa

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Guys, im a new member here and hope you could help us. 

So this is what happened, my fiance filed K1 visa last week of June, and the requirements he forwarded to Texas does not include LETTER OF INTENT TO MARRY. We’re worried that we get denied because of that. But it’s been almost 2 months now and still we didnt recieve any RFE. Is this a good sign? Please answer. Thank you. 

And also if they will request for the letter of intent, does it needs to be original? Bcause im here in Philippines and he’s in US, can scanned signature will do? Thank you.

You will be lucky if you just get RFE

Currently petitions that lack the required documents, are being refused more often. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline

Aww 😔 i hope they will still consider our application and request for RFE instead 😔

but i heard they wont just decline your application because of that missing document, so we’re still hoping. 🙏

5 minutes ago, @fromphilippines said:

Aww 😔 i hope they will still consider our application and request for RFE instead 😔

but i heard they wont just decline your application because of that missing document, so we’re still hoping. 🙏

There is a new policy, and yes, they will.  Especially is the missing documents is critical to the petition.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Timeline
3 hours ago, hellofromme said:

you forgot one of the key pieces that is required. youll be lucky to get an RFE for that. depends on the mood of the person reviewing your case that day. They are now more frequently denying petitions that are lacking required items like that. 

Excuse me? Frequently denying? I don’t think so the new rules will be effective on September 11. They won’t issue RFE after that day. They are still safe and they are still get RFE before or after 6 months. I don’t heard denials from USCIS. Denials from Interview would be possible. 

Timeline

2 minutes ago, RizaDD said:

Excuse me? Frequently denying? I don’t think so the new rules will be effective on September 11. They won’t issue RFE after that day. They are still safe and they are still get RFE before or after 6 months. I don’t heard denials from USCIS. Denials from Interview would be possible. 

We are praying we get RFE, this msg is a relief 😊 thanks

Timeline
3 hours ago, Roel said:

There is a new policy, and yes, they will.  Especially is the missing documents is critical to the petition.

Yes i have read about this, but this will be effective on Sept. 11, so our application is not covered

13 minutes ago, RizaDD said:

if you forget a key requirement, they can and will deny you. they do not have to issue an RFE and they never HAVE been required to. 

40 minutes ago, @fromphilippines said:

Yes i have read about this, but this will be effective on Sept. 11, so our application is not covered

There already been cases, even on the forum here, where petitions were refused because they missed key documents.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

I think you would probably still get an RFE as these are meant to be supporting documents and not required documents. The underlying requirement is agreeing to marry within 90 days of entry on the K-1 visa...the letters are just common evidence of that.

That said, you would not be the first to be outright denied for forgetting it. It really comes down to the IO that gets the case....they are not required to issue an RFE for missing documentation.

1 hour ago, RizaDD said:

I don’t heard denials from USCIS. Denials from Interview would be possible. 

This is a requirement for the petition, which USCIS adjudicates. USCIS can deny it for this. The embassy would not do so (although some embassies/consulates do request a new letter of intent).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I think you would probably still get an RFE as these are meant to be supporting documents and not required documents. The underlying requirement is agreeing to marry within 90 days of entry on the K-1 visa...the letters are just common evidence of that.

That said, you would not be the first to be outright denied for forgetting it. It really comes down to the IO that gets the case....they are not required to issue an RFE for missing documentation.

This is a requirement for the petition, which USCIS adjudicates. USCIS can deny it for this. The embassy would not do so (although some embassies/consulates do request a new letter of intent).

Oh ok, just wondering why we still haven’t received RFE, it’s almost 2 months now, so we’re really nervous.

Just now, @fromphilippines said:

Oh ok, just wondering why we still haven’t received RFE, it’s almost 2 months now, so we’re really nervous.

Your petition is sitting in a pile waiting to be assigned to an IO. Expect that to take ~6-8 months before anybody looks at it.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

52 minutes ago, @fromphilippines said:

if you just filed in june, it is HIGHLY unlikely youd hear anything until december/january at the earliest. 

as someone else said, its sitting in a box with thousands before it, waiting to be processed. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.