Muhammad&Mansory

Can I interview based on a citizenship other than mentioned on I-130?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

Hello everyone, 

My wife is Syrian and she had her interview in Jordan 5 weeks ago for an immigrant visa as a spouse (i-130). She was not given a visa due to the travel ban issued by president Trump. 

We are considering seeking another passport(Sudanese). Once she is able to obtain this passport, is she able to request another interview in Sudan using the Sudanese passport? on all our application papers we stated that she is Syrian; however, upon the receipt of a new passport, is it possible to add it to the file? 

If anyone knows, please let us know. 

Thanks 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

she is Syrian / to pretend to be Sudiabese would be a lie and she would get a ban (how long I  do not know)

but u can not lie to immigration

getting a pasport from Sudan ?    don't  know how u would but sounds illegal

what makes u think he won't add Sudan to the list?

any new applications require u to answer this question "ever been denied a visa?"

what u suggest has several pitfalls /  poor poor idea

Edited by adil-rafa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline
4 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

she is Syrian / to pretend to be Sudiabese would be a lie and she would get a ban (how long I  do not know)

any new applications require u to answer this question "ever been denied a visa?"

Incorrect. As long as the Sudanese passport was not obtained illegally (meaning she's entitled to one), this seems to be the route most of those who were affected by the travel ban take.

I think OP may have to file a new I-130, though.

Edited by EM_Vandaveer

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Muhammadsheikhale said:

Hello everyone, 

My wife is Syrian and she had her interview in Jordan 5 weeks ago for an immigrant visa as a spouse (i-130). She was not given a visa due to the travel ban issued by president Trump. 

We are considering seeking another passport(Sudanese). Once she is able to obtain this passport, is she able to request another interview in Sudan using the Sudanese passport? on all our application papers we stated that she is Syrian; however, upon the receipt of a new passport, is it possible to add it to the file? 

Thanks 

I seriously don't think it would be that easy.  Where has she resided?  Did you include her Sudanese credentials during the process?  At the very least, I would think that you would have to start from scratch with a new I-130, showing her Sudanese citizenship.  Even then, this could be seen as usurping the restrictions......but who knows?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

In Sudan, they give Syrians instant residency and after 6 months, Syrians can apply for a citizenship and it might take 4-6 months until the application is processed. So we are not planning to lie :) 

Plus, the answer to their question is: no, she has not been denied a visa yet because we are placed on administrative processing now. I am actually wondering if it is possible to add the passport to the current application we have now and try to get an interview in the US embassy in Sudan.  However, we do not know how this can work! 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Muhammadsheikhale said:

In Sudan, they give Syrians instant residency and after 6 months, Syrians can apply for a citizenship and it might take 4-6 months until the application is processed. So we are not planning to lie :) 

Plus, the answer to their question is: no, she has not been denied a visa yet because we are placed on administrative processing now. I am actually wondering if it is possible to add the passport to the current application we have now and try to get an interview in the US embassy in Sudan.  However, we do not know how this can work! 

It can't.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

5 hours ago, Muhammadsheikhale said:

Hello everyone, 

Thanks 

Sudanese citizenship if its really legitimate and can be obtained within 6 months may work if you file a new I-130 (talk to a lawyer if they can amend the existing one - I know of a EB case that did this at the 485 stage though). Although I dont know if its a smart idea to go live in Sudan to fulfill their residency requirements.

If you are like everyone else affected by the ban, your case is not denied, its just in AP. What they are doing is doign the full AP for everyone from travel ban countries. This takes 1-2 years, assuming the flood of new AP folks dosent slow it down further. By the time you have the Sudanese citizenship, I have a feeling you'll be at the end of the AP road anyway... BUT - I dont know if you file with Sudanese passport - will they put you through another 2 year AP? Lord knows.  

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, salhasl said:

Sudanese citizenship if its really legitimate and can be obtained within 6 months may work if you file a new I-130 (talk to a lawyer if they can amend the existing one - I know of a EB case that did this at the 485 stage though). Although I dont know if its a smart idea to go live in Sudan to fulfill their residency requirements.

If you are like everyone else affected by the ban, your case is not denied, its just in AP. What they are doing is doign the full AP for everyone from travel ban countries. This takes 1-2 years, assuming the flood of new AP folks dosent slow it down further. By the time you have the Sudanese citizenship, I have a feeling you'll be at the end of the AP road anyway... BUT - I dont know if you file with Sudanese passport - will they put you through another 2 year AP? Lord knows.  

Pretty good chance a person born in a travel ban country will be treated the same a few months later by a different Consular unit in a different country.  It's not like you can hide the previous actions on your case.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

still have to answer the question of where u were born

USCIS has this to say about willful misreprsentation

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartJ-Chapter2.html

B. Willful Misrepresentation

Inadmissibility based on willful misrepresentation requires a finding that a person willfully misrepresented a material fact. [2] For a person to be inadmissible, the officer must find all of the following elements: 

The person procured, or sought to procure, a benefit under U.S. immigration laws;

The person made a false representation; 

The false representation was willfully made; 

The false representation was material; and

The false representation was made to a U.S. government official, generally an immigration or consular officer. [3] 

If all of the above elements are present, then the person is inadmissible for willful misrepresentation. 

If the person succeeded in obtaining the benefit under the INA, he or she would be inadmissible for having procured the benefit by willful misrepresentation. If the attempt was not successful, [4] the person would still be inadmissible for having “sought to procure” the immigration benefit by willful misrepresentation. In each case, evidence of intent to deceive is not required. [5] 

Timeline
On 8/5/2018 at 8:00 AM, adil-rafa said:

still have to answer the question of where u were born

USCIS has this to say about willful misreprsentation

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartJ-Chapter2.html

B. Willful Misrepresentation

Inadmissibility based on willful misrepresentation requires a finding that a person willfully misrepresented a material fact. [2] For a person to be inadmissible, the officer must find all of the following elements: 

The person procured, or sought to procure, a benefit under U.S. immigration laws;

The person made a false representation; 

The false representation was willfully made; 

The false representation was material; and

The false representation was made to a U.S. government official, generally an immigration or consular officer. [3] 

If all of the above elements are present, then the person is inadmissible for willful misrepresentation. 

If the person succeeded in obtaining the benefit under the INA, he or she would be inadmissible for having procured the benefit by willful misrepresentation. If the attempt was not successful, [4] the person would still be inadmissible for having “sought to procure” the immigration benefit by willful misrepresentation. In each case, evidence of intent to deceive is not required. [5] 

I do not intend to misrepresent anything here. the plan is to legally obtain a Sudanese passport and then try to include it in the application we have. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Muhammadsheikhale said:

I do not intend to misrepresent anything here. the plan is to legally obtain a Sudanese passport and then try to include it in the application we have. 

Do you think the new CO will see this as anything other than an attempt to usurp the current travel restriction?  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

4 hours ago, Muhammadsheikhale said:

You are asking the wrong people. This is a lawyer question. Travel ban issues are so new very few people actually know what they are talking about. Heck very few lawyers know.

Legally lawyers have confirmed this route. Its something that's being pursued by somone who has an eb5. Its their only option. They don't have waivers. For IR its a gamble. Its possible youll end up in AP again. Its possible you might zip through. Talk to a lawyer. Talk to multiple ones. My gut says youll exit AP before your sudanese citizenship comes through though. But my gut hasnt seen the future.

The other thing you can do - is to move to a border city and have your spouse live/study on the other side. There is one couple i know who is considering San diego/tijuana. Another told me about Buffalo/St Catharines (She is applying to brock uni, husband looking for job in Buffalo NY). There is another couple - guy works in NYC and the wife is looking at Montreal - 6hr drive so weekend visits 😞 .  

Mexico I am assuming is easier than canada for visit/study visas.

Hopefully the idiocracy is over by the time they graduate

Edited by salhasl

Timeline
On 8/6/2018 at 3:23 PM, salhasl said:

You are asking the wrong people. This is a lawyer question. Travel ban issues are so new very few people actually know what they are talking about. Heck very few lawyers know.

Legally lawyers have confirmed this route. Its something that's being pursued by somone who has an eb5. Its their only option. They don't have waivers. For IR its a gamble. Its possible youll end up in AP again. Its possible you might zip through. Talk to a lawyer. Talk to multiple ones. My gut says youll exit AP before your sudanese citizenship comes through though. But my gut hasnt seen the future.

I definitely agree with you about asking the wrong people. I just wanted to give it a shot; I just might have a chance to stumble on someone who has a similar situation :(

I asked a couple of lawyers and they both say different things. Deep in my heart, I know they they kind of hibernated my case until further notice! I think I will wait for a year and then I might consider filing Mandamus (suing USCIS) and they willl be forced to decide within a specific period of time. We shall see what happens. 

Timeline
14 hours ago, salhasl said:

The other thing you can do - is to move to a border city and have your spouse live/study on the other side. There is one couple i know who is considering San diego/tijuana. Another told me about Buffalo/St Catharines (She is applying to brock uni, husband looking for job in Buffalo NY). There is another couple - guy works in NYC and the wife is looking at Montreal - 6hr drive so weekend visits 😞 .  

Mexico I am assuming is easier than canada for visit/study visas.

Hopefully the idiocracy is over by the time they graduate

Let me explain to you what it is to be Syrian :( 

I am not exaggerating that ONLY less than 15 countries in the WHOLE  world allow Syrians who live in Syria to get into their land with a visa or visa on arrival! ONLY 4 of these countries are accessible anyways. They are Lebanon, Iran, Sudan, and Malaysia. The other countries are not accessible because they are remote and there will be many layovers; therefore, the layover countries do not allow Syrians to board planes so that they do not ask for asylum. The reason countries of the world are not giving visas is that they are afraid Syrians will seek asylum or stay in their country illegally. if you are Syrian, unless you have a permanent residency in another country and have a load of money in your bank account, it is a dream to obtain a visa! 

Mexico plan is a great one if we can get her a visa; I already live in California! Right now we are planning to have my wife get to Turkey and I will try to  visit Turkey every 2-3 months.  Getting to Turkey will cost us $3000 :( yes, you read it right, in order for my wife to get from Aleppo to Turkey (50 miles away), we are paying $3000. -

That is what it means to be a Syrian nowadays :(

Edited by TBoneTX
profanity edited

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.