Morgan89

REVIEW: London Medical 9th July & Interview 18th July

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey all,

Firstly, I just want to say THANK YOU to all of you who have been so supportive with answering questions and helping me stay sane throughout this whole process.

Today I was approved for my K1 visa in London!! Here's my medical and interview experience.

Getting a cancellation -

My initial medical was booked for the end of July, but I am desperate to get to the U.S ASAP and we do have our heart set on an August wedding so I decided to call Knightsbridge 2-3 times a day to try and snag an earlier appointment. Despite being told that this was almost impossible, I was very determined and called at the same time every day. On the 6th of July, I called around midday and they had just had a cancellation for the 9th at 8.50am. Woohoo!!!

My medical appointment - 09 July - 8.50am

So I was SUPER nervous for this, firstly because I hate being at all naked in front of strangers and also because I was worried about past mental health issues being a problem and possibly causing a delay.

Due to anxiety, I arrived at about 7.30am :unsure: Found the medical office, which was obviously closed. Walked around for awhile, checked my paperwork around 20x and sat on a bench around the corner until they opened.

I went in at 8.40am and was the first person there, the receptionist was very polite but asked me to take a seat until 8.50am. At 8.50 she called me to the front desk and took all of my required documents: Photographs, passport, medical questionaire, police certificate etc. She also gave me their slightly longer medical questionaire and a little cup to pee in. After filling that in, I returned it - along with my pee - and then she asked me to wait in the waiting room again until I was called. 

So, I was called at around 9.30 by a young male doctor - He was a young, British asian guy (I forgot his name) but he was lovely and very professional and he told me right away that I wouldn't have any internal or intimate exam and that he would take blood sample. He first had me sign my photo and confirm that I didn't mind having a male doctor/didn't need a chaperone. Then he asked me about my medical questionaire (Confirmed no other health issues) and then asked about my history of depression. I explained that I have had anxiety during stressful periods (Like this visa process!!!) when my mother was ill and during university... I had low mood due to my anxiety and stress and had a letter from my doctor explaining that I'm not at harm to others. He looked over everything and said he felt everything looked fine however, my GP letter was quite short so, he said that if I could get a longer letter from my GP,  it would help to insure that the embassy did not call him for more information from me in the future and cause delays. I asked him if it would cause any delays on the medical side and he said that as long as my GP letter arroved within 5 days, my information would still arrive at the embassy within the promised 7 days. Fab!

He then asked me to stand in front of an exam table and read the letters from the opposite wall for an eye test. After that, I got on the table and he looked in my ear, took my temperature, my blood pressure and then took some blood (standard test for syphilis). He then looked in my mouth/back of my throat and finally asked me to lay on my back so he could listen to my heart and poke my stomach lol.

Nothing to worry about! The most awkward part was him poking my stomach and it really wasnt that awkward. 

That was that. The doctor kept my passport and told me to wait in the waiting room for the Xray technician.

I was called less that 5 minutes later by a very friendly man who told me to go behind a curtain, take my top and bra off and put on a gown. The xray just took a few minutes and although he said he couldn't tell me anything - I did look over at the image myself and based on the extensive medical knowledge I aquired from watching 15 seasons of Greys Anatomy, I concluded that my lungs looked fantastic :jest:

The technician took me straight through to the nurse - who was also lovely - she quickly told me that everything was fine with my vaccinations, she signed off my paperwork and told me not to lose it because I will need it in the states for AOS and that was it.

I went to reception, they gave me a form with the email address for getting my additional GP information to them, they returned my passport to me and then I paid 330GBP and left.

SIDENOTE: 

I had actually already asked my GP Surgery for a longer letter the week before and had been waiting for it, so right after my visa medical, I called them again to ask if it was ready and it was but they refused to email it to me because they could only take cash payments!! This was a major issue because my doctors office is in Bristol and I had just moved to London the week before. I absolutely flipped out on over the phone because they had told me previously that I could pay over the phone for the letter and get it by email GRRRR. This ended up causing a 4 day delay as I had to get a friend in Bristol to go over and pay them the 30GBP for me. Ridiculous!! I love the NHS but who tf can't take payments by card or over the phone in 20-bloody-18....

Anyway.... The GP letter got to Knightsbridge on the 12th of July. I called Knightsbridge to confirm receipt on the 13th and I was told that the doctor was looking at it and if all was well my packet would be shipped to the embassy within 48hours. On the 16th, I called to ask if it had been sent and I was told again that my packet was ready for collection within 48hours... *Time to freak out because my interview was on the 18th* At this point I was convinced that my medical would be late for interview and I was so sad. I felt like I was being annoying and didn't want to call again so got my fiancee to call on the 17th - They finally said it would be going out on that day as soon as the courier arrived but I half didn't believe them and I thought it was still too late for the medical paperwork to be seen by the embassy in time for my interview. I nearly cancelled at the last minute but luckily I didnt. 

Interview day! 18th July - 11.00am

Of course I was early. I only live 25minutes away but arrived at 9.30 (lol why am I this way!!?? :rolleyes:)

It was very warm this morning so I sat by the pond/lake outside the embassy and tried to chill out. At 10.00, my mom works nearby so came to meet me, told me to get a grip lol! and sat with me until I could go in at 10.40am. There were two women outside the entrance checking DS-160 and passport information. They instructed me where to go and then I went through the airport style entrance. I actually set the entrance alarm off twice when walking through even though my belt and watch etc was off and the security guard couldn't figure out why but let me through and into the embassy anyway!!!

Once inside, there was only one person in the queue in front of me who was there for K1 too. I showed my passport and DS-160 again and was instructed to 'go to the first floor - turn left and left again and sit in front of cubicles 20-21' 

My number was called after about 10 minutes and I think the lady who checked my paperwork was in training as she had a man in the background who she kept showing my documents to for confirmation that she was doing things correctly. She asked for my passport, DS-160, Birth certificate, Affidavit or support and my fiancees 2017 tax return. She gave me everything back but kept my passport and then gave me a disk with my Xray on it - The had recieved my medical!!! GO KNIGHTSBRIDGE!!!

The officer was very polite and made convo about where I was moving too - She went to college in the same state. After about 10 minutes, she said everything was fine, took my fingerprints and then I sat down and waited to be called to the next window. I waited for what felt like forever but was really about 20 minutes and I was called to the next booth.

The lady asked me my name and I raised my hand and took  an oath that I was being honest. She then asked me just two questions - How me and my finance met and where I planned to live. She took my fingermarks and that was it!! It was less than 5 minutes and she just said "Okay everything looks great so your visa will be with you within 1-2 weeks" 

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

That was it!!!! Praying my passport is returned ASAP without any issues and then I'm out of here and back with my man <3

Sorry for the loooong post but brevity has never been my strong point. If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them, Good Luck everyone!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
8 hours ago, Morgan89 said:

I did look over at the image myself and based on the extensive medical knowledge I aquired from watching 15 seasons of Greys Anatomy, I concluded that my lungs looked fantastic :jest:

Ahahaha! Congratulations again :) :)

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

Congratulations! Glad all went well!

My medical was finally sent off after my extra letter/info was checked & the embassy have it

My interview is tomorrow & im a bag of nerves!!! I keep thinking im going to be denied.. :( 

K1 Fiance Visa Journey 💍 - From sending I-129F to Visa in hand = 295 days📅

Spoiler

10th-Oct-2017 I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox

13th-Oct-2017 - I-129F received 

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

19th-Apr-2018 - NOA2 :dance:
8th-May-2018 - NVC received our case

14-May-2018 NVC case # assigned
29-June-2018 - Medical

20-July-2018 - Interview - APPROVED! :dancing:

01-Aug-2018 Visa in hand 🎉
13-Oct-2018 - POE:dancing:
17-Nov-2018- Married:wub:

AOS, EAD, AP Journey :star: - From sending I-485 to 2 year conditional Green card in hand = 152 days📅

Spoiler

6th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox
11th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet received in Chicago
17th-Dec-2018 - Received txt notifications
18-Dec-2018 - Check cashed
17-Dec-2018 - NOA1 on USCIS online case status
24-Dec-2018 - x3 NOA1 letter's received in the mail:thumbs:
31-Dec-2018 - Biometrics appointment letter received in the mail
31-Dec-2018 - USCIS online case status for just AOS changed to 'Request for Initial evidence mailed' :(
07-Jan-2019 - Biometrics appointment👍
07-Jan-2019 - Request for Initial evidence letter received - request is for complete Federal tax return for most recent tax year (we did send with original packet...:angry:)

10-Jan-2019 - Sent back initial evidence request documents by mail:clock:
15-Jan-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to 'Response to USCIS' Request for Evidence was received':thumbs:
20-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Case is Ready to be scheduled an Interview" 

26-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Interview was Scheduled"

30-Mar-2019 - Letter with interview date received in the mail!!!!!!! :D

30-Apr-2019 - AOS Interview!  :star: - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
30-Apr-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "New Card is being produced" 
03-May-2019 - AOS (I-485) Approval notice letter received in the mail
03-May-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Card was mailed to Me"

07-May-2019 - 2 year conditional Green card in hand! :dance:

Removal of Conditions Journey  - From sending I-751 to 10 year Green card in hand = 

16th-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet sent to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

22nd-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet received in Phoenix, AZ lockbox

Timeline
7 hours ago, Meisha&Jake said:

My medical was finally sent off after my extra letter/info was checked & the embassy have it

My interview is tomorrow & im a bag of nerves!!! I keep thinking im going to be denied.. :( 

NVC approved your application and Knightsbridge only sent your medical to the embassy because they consider you medically fine. I felt exactly how you did but in hindsight I think you're pretty much already approved at this stage and the interview is just for the purpose of getting your fingerprints and documents. You're going to get your approval tomorrow!! :D

7 minutes ago, Morgan89 said:

NVC approved your application and Knightsbridge only sent your medical to the embassy because they consider you medically fine. I felt exactly how you did but in hindsight I think you're pretty much already approved at this stage and the interview is just for the purpose of getting your fingerprints and documents. You're going to get your approval tomorrow!! :D

You have a good point!! Thankyou, i need to stop overthinking every little thing lol

Spoiler

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

29-June-2018 - Medical

AOS, EAD, AP Journey :star: - From sending I-485 to 2 year conditional Green card in hand = 152 days📅

Spoiler

31-Dec-2018 - USCIS online case status for just AOS changed to 'Request for Initial evidence mailed' :(
07-Jan-2019 - Request for Initial evidence letter received - request is for complete Federal tax return for most recent tax year (we did send with original packet...:angry:)

15-Jan-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to 'Response to USCIS' Request for Evidence was received':thumbs:
20-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Case is Ready to be scheduled an Interview" 

26-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Interview was Scheduled"

30-Apr-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "New Card is being produced" 
03-May-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Card was mailed to Me"

Removal of Conditions Journey  - From sending I-751 to 10 year Green card in hand = 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
6 hours ago, Morgan89 said:

NVC approved your application......

NVC does not approve K1 visa applications. They are just there to hand out a new Dept of State case number and send the petition file to the embassy. At NVC, the beneficiary has not even applied for the visa  (DS-160) yet. 

BUT @Meisha&Jake    ....It would be pretty hard to get denied. They aren't looking for ways to fail you. There are no trick questions. They want you to succeed. As long as you show up with your proper documents like passport, birth certificate, etc, then it will be just fine. If you bring the wrong birth certificate (without parent names) or your passport is a faded wrinkled mess (because you washed it), they just wait for you to send them what they need. 

Speaking of questions...one of my favorite relaxed blokes from a few years back was asked "How many times have you visited your fiancé?"

His answer, "I don't know. A lot."

Perfectly fine answer. This isn't an exam.

You've got this 👍

Edited by Wuozopo

5 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

NVC does not approve K1 visa applications. They are just there to hand out a new Dept of State case number and send the petition file to the embassy. At NVC, the beneficiary has not even applied for the visa  (DS-160) yet. 

BUT @Meisha&Jake    ....It would be pretty hard to get denied. They aren't looking for ways to fail you. There are no trick questions. They want you to succeed. As long as you show up with your proper documents like passport, birth certificate, etc, then it will be just fine. If you bring the wrong birth certificate (without parent names) or your passport is a faded wrinkled mess (because you washed it), they just wait for you to send them what they need. 

Speaking of questions...one of my favorite relaxed blokes from a few years back was asked "How many times have you visited your fiancé?"

His answer, "I don't know. A lot."

Perfectly fine answer. This isn't an exam.

You've got this 👍

Thank you! I really hope this is the case for me!! Theres a couple of reasons i feel i will be grilled (posted a thread about it last week) i know everyone tells me im overthinking it but i cant help worrying about it because i dont want to be stopped being with the guy i love of 3 years. :(

Spoiler

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

29-June-2018 - Medical

Spoiler

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
19 hours ago, Meisha&Jake said:

Good luck today sweetheart! :)

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

Timeline
1 hour ago, Meisha&Jake said:

Thank you! I really hope this is the case for me!! Theres a couple of reasons i feel i will be grilled (posted a thread about it last week) i know everyone tells me im overthinking it but i cant help worrying about it because i dont want to be stopped being with the guy i love of 3 years. :(

Good luck!! Let us know when you get your approval 😬

Timeline
4 hours ago, ichidesu said:

Congrats! My husband and I probably saw you there! We arrived at 10:50am 😂

Ooh we’re you the couple next to me?? I was the black woman in the blue shirt looking STRESSED 😂 & there was a kid running around us whilst I was waiting?? 

1 hour ago, Morgan89 said:

Ooh we’re you the couple next to me?? I was the black woman in the blue shirt looking STRESSED 😂 & there was a kid running around us whilst I was waiting?? 

That was us! You did seem a little stressed- glad to hear that it all went well! That kid certainly had some high pitched shrieks hahaha

Timeline
1 hour ago, ichidesu said:

That was us! You did seem a little stressed- glad to hear that it all went well! That kid certainly had some high pitched shrieks hahaha

Thanks! I was accepted right after you left & practically skipped out of there :D  Did your online status change today?

25 minutes ago, Morgan89 said:

Thanks! I was accepted right after you left & practically skipped out of there :D  Did your online status change today?

I’m pretty sure I did some high kicks and jumps for joy once we got outside :jest:in adminstrive processing at the moment- but it’s been most recently updated yesterday. My medical wasn’t there yet (I had my medical on the 8th) but was told it should be there that day and that they’d issue it right away. Booked my flight out for the 16th. Would’ve preferred earlier but didn’t want to fork out too much cash on flights. What’s an extra week or two now that the long hard journey is over? ^_^ Our approval came on the anniversary of them receiving our i130! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.