Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,472 posts in this topic

It's more complicated going USA to UK than vice versa What Pet Owners Need to Do here's a good starting point.

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi All,

I would like to share my story with all of you guys.

Dave and I started the K1 process about 2,5 months ago. I came up here to visit him in ND last Wednesday. I was pretty nervous about the POE after reading some of the comments on here. I choose to fly into Minneapolis (also because it was the shortest total flying time). I had everything with me in a big binder (the whole K1 package, letter from work with letterhead, insurance papers, my graduation date (I'm flying back for that) and my return ticket).

Anyway I came up to the border and the customs officer was very nice!

He: What are you going to do in the states?

Me: visit friends (I'm visiting my fiance, but also plan to visit friends back in washington state)

He: So what are you going to do in Williston North Dakota Priscilla? (He must have seen that on my passport)

Me: My fiance lives there

He; that's a special kind of friend (joking)

Me; yes for sure, we started the K1 about 2,5 months ago

He: okay, make sure you document everything, keep all your papers, make sure you do your medical fast because that will speed up the process.

Me: kind of shocked: okay thank you, we are doing that, I have a binder with me.

He: okay, when is your big day?

Me: whenever the K1 gets approved

He; good!

And then he started to speak a few dutch words to me (left hand, left fingers)

Then he told me: have a good stay!

He was so nice!! I just couldn't believe it, I was so shocked that he was so nice and I stressed all this time for nothing!

All the people in MSP airport were supernice! I will definitely fly on that airport again next time!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

That's awesome to hear! We filed in May and I'm planning to go visit him in Midland, Texas, this November. I'm pretty nervous about the whole deal too... But it seems like we should be okay!

03-28-2011 First time meeting my roommate Jordan!

05-17-2011 Started dating

04-10-2012 Got engaged

05-08-2012 Sent I-129f

05-17-2012 NOA1 - Check cashed and receipt received

10-31-2012 NOA2!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Let me share my experience. It is a little long, please pardon me.

I was engaged in April 2011. Prior to that, I have visited my fiance in June 2010, Sep 2010 and Dec 2010 for 2 weeks every time and never had problems.

In July 2011, I quit my job and went over with my dog for 3 months. I flew in to IAD and was directed to secondary clearance because of my dog. They ask who I am visiting and what how long. Search one of my suitcases and let me go through. Didn't even bother to check the papers for my dog. It was easy.

In November 2011, I flew back again for 3 months again. This time I got into some trouble at secondary clearance. I was grilled by a mean Asian officer. Because I went back too fast and I didn't have a job. He asked if I am getting married. I said no way! And after searching thoroughly all my bags. He warn me to get a B1 visa next time.

In Feb 2012, Fiance visited Singapore. Together, we went to apply for a B1 visa as what POE officer has advised but was denied. Because I don't have a job or ties to Singapore. They were even rude to my fiance #######. Fine. My fiance and I then decided to start K1 process. (I know, I know. We should have started right after we got engaged. Bad planning on our part.) We didnt hear anything from them in a month. Called them up and they said we are missing forms. We did what we need to do and finally got our NOA1 in April. (Yay!)

Fiance visited in April 2012. He never has problems visiting Singapore.

In May 2012, My fiance decided enough waiting already and flew me over. Was held at SFR secondary clearance and directed to a interview room. They ask the usual questions and said I lied on my ESTA. They said I didn't declare that I was denied a visa before. I explained it was an honest mistake. The ESTA was applied back in June 2011. The other contents I can change is address and flight numbers. I have totally forgotten what are the rest of the questions in the ESTA. I brought my NOA1 and copy of my I129F just in case. They were more interested in searching my bags then looking at my documents. My fiance called them up and assured them I am not intending to stay. I have visited on many accounts and NEVER overstayed. (He was really afraid for me they would make me turn around.) The officers were not rude not all just doing their job. I explain I am just visiting my fiance and trying to spend as much time together as possible. What is wrong is that, why do they always make it difficult. They are very understanding and explain they are just doing their job. This is then the weird part. Instead of stamping my passport as they always do, they gave me a discretionary parole stamp and ask me to fill in a I-94 form and let me go. (I must be really lucky.)

My fiance is intending to visit next month and wants to fly me back together with him. We are expecting my NOA2 to come through anytime now. We thought it would be a little less risk to travel to US with our NOA2. Also, he will be going through customs with me, hoping that would be easier. I have doubts they would let me in again after the last two times. And I am now concerned if my last parole stamp will affect my entry. What does the parole stamp means? Do I need to do anything to waive it off or what?

K-1 Timeline

Aug 2009 - Met online

18 Mar 2010 - Met up in person for first time in CA. Best vacation ever!

21 Apr 2011 - He proposed!

28 Mar 2012 - Sends in I-129F

02 Apr 2012 - Received NOA1.

05 Oct 2012 - Got RFE.

10 Oct 2012 - Sends in RFE as requested.

29 Oct 2012 - NOA2 after exactly 7 months!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I just traveled to and from Hawaii from New Zealand, I was there for 10 days - VWP and less than 2 weeks after NOA2. I was pulled aside for questioning, after my initial immigration screening and a second officer documented my responses and pretty much asked me all the immigration questions that I had already filled out on my entry card and entered them into their computer as I answered. I was honest about my visa status and they confirmed that I had a pending K1 visa, they did not ask to see my documentation that I had with me, they sent me on my way after about 10 minutes. No overtly probing questions, very standard, they just chose to be thorough.

I doubt I would have had a problem, but better to be safe than sorry, and to be completely honest.

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'll be visiting my fiancee in California in 2 weeks, plan to stay for 2.5 weeks. My last visit was in April, so I hope CBP won't give me a hard time when I enter on the VWP. We expect the NOA2 within the next week or 2, right before my trip. If asked, I'll be honest anyway, will tell him that I'll visit my fiancee and that I plan to apply for a K-1 after my return to Germany.

Does anyone know if the Immigration Officer can see on his screen that we started this process once he scans my passport?

06-13-2012 - I-129F sent

10-11-2012 - NOA2

01-09-2013 - Interview (approved)

01-18-2013 - Visa received by DHL

-------------------------------------------------

02-21-2013 - One-way-flight to San Diego

03-22-2013 - Wedding

04-16-2013 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent

07-26-2013 - Green Card approved

05-11-2015 - I-751 sent

08-12-2015 - ROC Approved

05-14-2016 - N-400 sent

05-17-2016 - NOA1

06-10-2016 - Biometrics

12-16-2015 - Interview

418 days (1 year, 1 month and 23 days) from Sending out I-129F to Green Card in Hand

K1 Process: 219 days from Sending out I-129F to K1 Visa in Hand

AOS Process: 111 days from Sending out I-485 to Green Card in Hand

I visited UK several times and David came here on VWP about every 2 months for any where from a long weekend to 10 days. He never overstayed, always had a return ticket and was always honest. He did get a few questions when he brought the ring over to propose but he was let in without issue. We even had to deal with being robbed which meant losing his passport. He got a replacement and left as planned. He has had a few extra questions from time to time but never not been allowed entry. Now we have the 10 yr GC so it should never be a problem again.

BTW to OP great idea pinning this topic. It comes up a lot! :thumbs:

Edited by david'sgirl

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Does anyone know if the Immigration Officer can see on his screen that we started this process once he scans my passport?

I am wondering the same thing. Nothing on the i-129F form has any identifying number of the intending immigrant. Just name and DOB. So how would a NOA1 show up when their passport is scanned? Seems like a lot of digging would be necessary!

Hi there,

I am new on the forum and i would like to share my story and ask some questions.

I am from France, my fiance is a US citizen and we have a 15 month old son together. We filled the k1 visa application in august.

Here is my story. I was a student on a F1 visa from 2009 to 2011. After that i came back on ESTA and overstayed a month (i didn't know... i feel so stupid about that). As a consequence I am not allowed on ESTA anymore, i am not banned or anything but i now need a visa to visit the U.S. I applied for a B1 visa in august and of course it was denied. I couldn't prove any tie to my home country (i wasn't asked anything about my intend to come back but well).

I want to reapply for a B1 visa while the K1 is processing. It is really hard for us to be apart and for my fiance to not see his son (he visited once and might visit another time. How should i do to get approved for a B1 visa (what should i say, since i have no job, no real tie to my country) and then how can i convince an immigration officer my intend to come back after my visit is over (i don't plan on visiting for more than a month or 2.

I feel really bad because i didn't get to prove the consular officer my intend to leave. Yes i don't have a job or anything but I am currently getting some unemployment money (It is called RSA) from the government for me to support my son, and i have obligations coming with that money or it will be cut off (such as appointment with a social worker and a company supposed to help me finding a job). This is the only tie i have as I had lived in the US for over 3 years before. My son and I are staying at my parents' while waiting on the K1.

My fiance and I are really depressed about being apart for so long, we want to see each other in the mid-time. I really want to prove that i have learned my lesson from the past and that now we want to do things legally, i don't want to mess up anymore, i merely regret it (i know, ignorance of the law is no excuse) and that i always returned to France at some point and that i plan on doing the same. I just want to make time seem shorter by seeing each other in the mid-time, and then my fiance gets to not miss as much of his son growing up. Can they understand that we have a family situation and it is just heartless to keep us apart (even though i know it started because of my mistake)

Thus my questions are the following. What do you think i should tell the consular officer in order to get a B1 and if approved what should i say to the immigration officer at the customs? Do you think i should take the risk to come?(due to my bad history with the ESTA). What are my odds?

Thank you for reading my story and for your help.

Lola

K1 Journey:

NOA1: 08/21/2012 (CSC)

NOA2: 04/24/2013 (8 months ClockWatch2.gif )

NVC received: 05/02/2013

NVC sent to Embassy: 05/06/2013 (only took 4 days !!)

Packet 3 received: 06/01/2013 (our son's 2nd birthday !!).Packet 3 response leaving in the mail on the next business day (06/04)

Medical: 06/11/2013

Interview: 06/18/2013. No packet 4 received, interview notice given on the phone the day before.

APPROVED !!

POE Chicago: 07/05/2013

AOS (EAD/AP) Journey:

NOA1: 07/30/2013

Biometrics: 09/09/2013

EAD/AP: 10/09/2013

Received a "potential interview waiver case" letter on 11/23/13.

GREEN CARD APPROVED AND IN PRODUCTION ON 03/17/2014

ROC I-751:

Sent: 01/09/16

NOA1: 01/11/16

Approval and Production Notice: 07/29/16

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Hi there,

I am new on the forum and i would like to share my story and ask some questions.

I am from France, my fiance is a US citizen and we have a 15 month old son together. We filled the k1 visa application in august.

Here is my story. I was a student on a F1 visa from 2009 to 2011. After that i came back on ESTA and overstayed a month (i didn't know... i feel so stupid about that). As a consequence I am not allowed on ESTA anymore, i am not banned or anything but i now need a visa to visit the U.S. I applied for a B1 visa in august and of course it was denied. I couldn't prove any tie to my home country (i wasn't asked anything about my intend to come back but well).

I want to reapply for a B1 visa while the K1 is processing. It is really hard for us to be apart and for my fiance to not see his son (he visited once and might visit another time. How should i do to get approved for a B1 visa (what should i say, since i have no job, no real tie to my country) and then how can i convince an immigration officer my intend to come back after my visit is over (i don't plan on visiting for more than a month or 2.

I feel really bad because i didn't get to prove the consular officer my intend to leave. Yes i don't have a job or anything but I am currently getting some unemployment money (It is called RSA) from the government for me to support my son, and i have obligations coming with that money or it will be cut off (such as appointment with a social worker and a company supposed to help me finding a job). This is the only tie i have as I had lived in the US for over 3 years before. My son and I are staying at my parents' while waiting on the K1.

My fiance and I are really depressed about being apart for so long, we want to see each other in the mid-time. I really want to prove that i have learned my lesson from the past and that now we want to do things legally, i don't want to mess up anymore, i merely regret it (i know, ignorance of the law is no excuse) and that i always returned to France at some point and that i plan on doing the same. I just want to make time seem shorter by seeing each other in the mid-time, and then my fiance gets to not miss as much of his son growing up. Can they understand that we have a family situation and it is just heartless to keep us apart (even though i know it started because of my mistake)

Thus my questions are the following. What do you think i should tell the consular officer in order to get a B1 and if approved what should i say to the immigration officer at the customs? Do you think i should take the risk to come?(due to my bad history with the ESTA). What are my odds?

Thank you for reading my story and for your help.

Lola

I do not have any issues with visa overstays or anything but I woud still love to know how one can get in on either VWP or B1 when you have few or no ties in your home country. I am a stay at home fiance and the reason my USC fiancee is going to the US is for employment. We met in Australia two years ago, have been living together for a year and got engaged in July and decided to get married long, long before the US job offer came our way. I am so frustrated that I will likely be separated from him when if he wasn't a USC I would get to piggyback his working visa. I seem to fall through a bureaucratic crack in this respect and it is really stressing me out :(

Well, citizens of some countries (it is what i believe maybe it is not true) are fairly advantaged towards the VWP or B1 (this is why there is a VWP for them to begin with) it is especially for western Europe countries and also Australia i believe. I always got in with the VWP with no problem the thing is the last time i messed up and overstayed like a month and now i can't use that VWP anymore and i need a visa even for tourism (this is called screwing your chance and i feel so stupid) which of course because of the overstay i would have the hardest time ever getting unless i have proof of strong ties to my country which is not the case due to my fiance and son (both USC).

If you have no bad VWP history, feel free to go visit him as much as you can afford it, just show your return ticket to the immigration officer and there will be no problem (once i didn't even have it with me and the officer didn't even care). Take advantage to be a citizen of a country that has close ties to the USA and that are part of the VWP, we have so much less of a hard time to go there. Just don't do like me, don't mess up ! now i am patiently waiting for my K1 !

Also the overstay on the VWP for less than 90 days doesn't lead to a ban (which is not the case for visas), just take your privilege of the VWP away !

K1 Journey:

NOA1: 08/21/2012 (CSC)

NOA2: 04/24/2013 (8 months ClockWatch2.gif )

NVC received: 05/02/2013

NVC sent to Embassy: 05/06/2013 (only took 4 days !!)

Packet 3 received: 06/01/2013 (our son's 2nd birthday !!).Packet 3 response leaving in the mail on the next business day (06/04)

Medical: 06/11/2013

Interview: 06/18/2013. No packet 4 received, interview notice given on the phone the day before.

APPROVED !!

POE Chicago: 07/05/2013

AOS (EAD/AP) Journey:

NOA1: 07/30/2013

Biometrics: 09/09/2013

EAD/AP: 10/09/2013

Received a "potential interview waiver case" letter on 11/23/13.

GREEN CARD APPROVED AND IN PRODUCTION ON 03/17/2014

ROC I-751:

Sent: 01/09/16

NOA1: 01/11/16

Approval and Production Notice: 07/29/16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I didn't read any of the other answers to your question I am just going to give you my answer. We just finished up the last of our K-1 visa and it was approved! This road your about to travel isn't that hard and you'll get through it. Just takes patients and commitment. Anyways, my Fiancé visited me during the process and not one question was asked of her. That simple. I visited her in Sweden (I am a US citizen) and not one question was asked of me. That's it. That's my experience like you requested. Hope all is well for you my friend!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Both my fiance and I have both traveled while we have been waiting for his visa approval. He even came to the states for a couple months this summer. Neither of us have had any troubles ... maybe we have just been lucky. (knocking on wood now!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Just wanted to share my experience from last week when I entered on VWP at LAX... In fact entry has never been easier, even though I ended up with the meanest looking CBP officer who kept sending people back to the end of the line for not filling out the forms correctly. So when I stood in front of him he first complained about those people that were in line in front of me ("too stupid to fill out a correct address..."), so I said I hoped I did it all right. He said "sure - purpose of your trip?" I said "I'm here on vacation" and before I could even start to explain that I wanted to visit my fiancée, he started his routine "four right fingers... right thumb... etc.), stamped my passport, and I was through :) So I'm really not sure he saw on his screen that there's a I-129F petition pending. Anyway, now Im enjoying my vacation with my fiancée in sunny Southern California :)

06-13-2012 - I-129F sent

10-11-2012 - NOA2

01-09-2013 - Interview (approved)

01-18-2013 - Visa received by DHL

02-21-2013 - One-way-flight to San Diego

03-22-2013 - Wedding

04-16-2013 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent

07-26-2013 - Green Card approved

05-11-2015 - I-751 sent

08-12-2015 - ROC Approved

05-14-2016 - N-400 sent

05-17-2016 - NOA1

06-10-2016 - Biometrics

12-16-2015 - Interview

418 days (1 year, 1 month and 23 days) from Sending out I-129F to Green Card in Hand

K1 Process: 219 days from Sending out I-129F to K1 Visa in Hand

AOS Process: 111 days from Sending out I-485 to Green Card in Hand

Filed: Timeline

Well, citizens of some countries (it is what i believe maybe it is not true) are fairly advantaged towards the VWP or B1 (this is why there is a VWP for them to begin with) it is especially for western Europe countries and also Australia i believe. I always got in with the VWP with no problem the thing is the last time i messed up and overstayed like a month and now i can't use that VWP anymore and i need a visa even for tourism (this is called screwing your chance and i feel so stupid) which of course because of the overstay i would have the hardest time ever getting unless i have proof of strong ties to my country which is not the case due to my fiance and son (both USC).

If you have no bad VWP history, feel free to go visit him as much as you can afford it, just show your return ticket to the immigration officer and there will be no problem (once i didn't even have it with me and the officer didn't even care). Take advantage to be a citizen of a country that has close ties to the USA and that are part of the VWP, we have so much less of a hard time to go there. Just don't do like me, don't mess up ! now i am patiently waiting for my K1 !

Also the overstay on the VWP for less than 90 days doesn't lead to a ban (which is not the case for visas), just take your privilege of the VWP away !

Thanks for the feedback - that makes me feel better! I have some back surgery (minor) and a couple of wedding photography jobs that I need to do in the next six months so I can't overstay even if I wanted to. I just don't have a regular job, rent or car loan to prove my ties. I will always have a return ticket and can give a home address in Australia (my parents') so hopefully that will be enough. The thing for us is that we are already living together so being separated feel so silly.

I am really hoping that I can spend most of my waiting time for the K-1 with my fiance in America. I have nothing to do here as I am essentially a housewife and don't really work so staying in Australia without him isn't very appealing, I have to admit.

Edited by lrh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.