KeratNY

Complaint letter to Senator about local Field Office

144 posts in this topic

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, hispany said:

I'm not upset. I'm having fun.

By the way, do you know if the OP a pure-bred Canadian? Would it make a difference if he wasn't?

Haha :). Maybe if they had aboroginial ties to neighbouring tribe in the USA.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
57 minutes ago, mindthegap said:

Amazed how quick yours went.... certainly the exception rather than the norm.

Honestly, I think part of that was how quicker background checks seems to get performed when it comes to Canadians since both countries openly share immigration, border and criminal info with each other.

Or it was the 4 times I extensively bothered an L2 officer ad nauseam about my case after filing, and they somehow helped speed things up to just get me out of their hair finally. :P 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

OP

How come you think that the Senator's Office will look at your application & start tending to those who have waited a while rather than look at your application? If anything - the staff will review your application (most likely briefly), realize you're complaining about wait times, then look at your file & deem it within normal processing times. And - voila - your generic response is waiting for you in your mailbox. They way you approach this larger issue will not get it resolved or even talked about, I'm sorry. 

I would save your email to the Senator for the time when your case is out of normal processing times, and you want to reach out to them so they can actually help you.

My case took 1 year and 1 week. In comparison, people who filed in the same month as I did (or even later) received their green cards within 6 months at latest (I was the only person left in my specific subforum). Once my case was out of normal processing times (I can't remember if it was 9 or 10 months at a time), I reached out to my Congressman, and his office was able to get me a response as to what exactly was taking so long, and also get me an interview date.

They are most definitely doing their job. But they will always focus on cases that have more urgency and more priority. From that perspective - your case will be at the bottom. And if you want to speak for masses - this is not a proper route.

All the best.

Timeline:

Spoiler

AOS Journey:

Spoiler

08/19/2016 - day 0 - I-485, I-130, I-765 sent to USCIS office in Chicago (PD: 08/23/2016)

08/31/2016 - day 9 - electronic NOAs received via text and email, check is cashed.

09/08/2016 - day 17 - biometrics appointment notice received in the mail (appointment date 09/19/2016).

09/13/2016 - day 22 - early biometrics walk in.

10/28/2016 - day 67 - EAD status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced".

11/16/2016 - day 87 - EAD card received in mail.

06/27/2017 - day 309 - contacted the congressman office.

07/28/2017 - day 340 - finally received an interview appointment in mail (online status has not changed).

08/31/2017 - day 374 - Interview; I-485 status changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'

09/08/2017 - day 382 - greencard received in mail

I-751 & N400 Journey:

Spoiler

06/20/2019 - day 1036 - ROC packet mailed (PD: 06/21/2019)

06/29/2019 - day 1045 - NOA/Extension letter received in the mail (new GC expiration date is 2/28/2021)

01/17/2020 - day 1256 - biometrics appointment

06/03/2020 - day 1382 - N400 filed online (PD: 06/04/2020)

02/01/2021 - day 1626 - Biometric Reuse notice uploaded to my online account

02/08/2021 - day 1634 - Interview Appointment notice uploaded to my online account

03/16/2021 - day 1670 - N400 Interview - passed; due to I-751 stuck in another office 'No decision can be made at this time'

06/01/2021 - day 1747 - with help of Sen. Sanders' office, I-751 file finally forwarded to St. Albans field office

06/28/2021 - day 1774 - I-751 status changed to 'New Card is Being Produced'; N400 status changed to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'

08/19/2021 - day 1826 (exactly 5 years since day 0) - Oath Ceremony (notice received on 7/19/21)

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
31 minutes ago, hispany said:

My question was more aimed at if OP had any prior citizenship before Canadian...

For initial checks absolutely I would say so. But guess this raises a better question. Maybe instead of stating their own experience/case you mention. One should just be writing letters saying "I am queued for an interview", dear Senator can you please find out why the backlog on interviews has become so bad. Theoretically if all the checks etc is done at NBC, it should be just sheer number of interviews needing to be done vs possible staff and times in a day. Maybe just finding out verification of how the local office works is more important.

Then everyone whos "queued for an interview" can write letters. We would not need to aruge over nationality/intent/etc...

Edited by A&H2018

9 minutes ago, .yana said:

OP

How come you think that the Senator's Office will look at your application & start tending to those who have waited a while rather than look at your application? If anything - the staff will review your application (most likely briefly), realize you're complaining about wait times, then look at your file & deem it within normal processing times. And - voila - your generic response is waiting for you in your mailbox. They way you approach this larger issue will not get it resolved or even talked about, I'm sorry. 

I would save your email to the Senator for the time when your case is out of normal processing times, and you want to reach out to them so they can actually help you.

My case took 1 year and 1 week. In comparison, people who filed in the same month as I did (or even later) received their green cards within 6 months at latest (I was the only person left in my specific subforum). Once my case was out of normal processing times (I can't remember if it was 9 or 10 months at a time), I reached out to my Congressman, and his office was able to get me a response as to what exactly was taking so long, and also get me an interview date.

They are most definitely doing their job. But they will always focus on cases that have more urgency and more priority. From that perspective - your case will be at the bottom. And if you want to speak for masses - this is not a proper route.

All the best.

The OP believes that by stating the plight of others it could help. It would be super beneficial to get affidavits of the people who are waiting and want change and have actually waited two years, as then there’s a poster child for waiting that they can go, oh ya that person HAS waited that long. 

When you’re trying to prove something to someone, especially a topic like this, it’s your burden to prove there is actually a problem. Expecting them to look into it and research it when, according to the OP, there’s plenty of people here on VJ to testify is asking for failure. 

Youre better off sending this information to a journalist who may put in the effort to research, than to a senators paperperson who is going to brush it off as complaining.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

With Politicians there are two things you need to focus on:

How this will help them financially.

How this help them politically.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, missileman said:

Since you are well within normal processing times, I actually don't think you have standing to complain now.

Not sure how many more times I can explain this. Here's the sequence of facts:

1) I have an application pending at the NYC Field Office (I am an interested party, affected by processing timelines ("standing") even if not admittedly damaged by it yet)

2) As a current applicant, I am aware of some material facts regarding the slowdown in processing time for ALL applications at this specific office, both in comparison to past timelines and some other field offices

3) My wife is a constituent of a Senator

4) Said Senator may or may not know some background info and context regarding the recent developments at the local office in her jurisdiction of a Federal agency

5) Senator has a website with a way to directly contact her office regarding issues or any message a constituent would like to send

6) Wife uses said method and endeavors to inform her elected representative of the circumstances of the field office so she is aware

7) Senator (or staffer) reads letter and understands this addresses an issue that affects thousands of applicants, not just the writer

8) Senator takes no action, or a minor action, or a meaningful action, to attempt to help out thousands of her constituents (her "job") which either changes something at the Field Office or it doesn't

You'll notice that not one action, fact, or sequence above is different whether my application has been waiting for 6 months or 6 years.  Therefore it is not relevant in this scenario. 

Here's where that fact would be relevant:

1) I have an application pending at the NYC Field Office (I am an interested party)

2) My application is pending for 6 months

3) My wife is a constituent of a Senator

4) Wife endeavors to inform her elected representative that her husband's case is taking too long and they are impatient

5) Senator (or staffer) throws the letter away because her husband's case is well within processing times

6) Guaranteed that nothing of consequence happens to effect timelines

You see,  the variable of my application's timeline is only relevant in scenario 2, not scenario 1.  And my current scenario is scenario 1 which you'll see has a more optimal conclusion than scenario 2. 

1 hour ago, Orangesapples said:

So you don't think it's barbaric to separate children from their families? I can't even imagine how traumatizing this is for the children. 

And BTW, adultery is a crime in some places. I guess you support arresting people for that reason, too? 

you and @Boilerquit hijacking my thread to discuss a political current event! There is a forum for that

Timeline
5 hours ago, .yana said:

OP

All the best.

If you think there is a more proper route to effect change at a local office of a Federal agency, I'm all ears. Reaching out to elected representatives about an issue affecting said representative's constituents seems like the right thing to do, because, well, it's literally their jobs. Don't believe me? let's go to the source herself - from her website:

I am honored to serve the people of New York State in the United States Senate.

My office will make every effort to assist you on a broad range of issues, provided that you:

1. Are a New Yorker, and;
  2. Need help from a Federal Government agency

My wife and I fulfill both criteria to reach out to her to ask for "every effort" to assist her constituents. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, hispany said:

But don't you get it? These ARE extenuating circumstances, OP is Canadian, and has legally studied, worked and visited the US before... Plus, he's been waiting for 7 months! 7 MONTHS! Never mind that he already has EAD and AP, he wants his green card, and he wants it NOW!

And don't you get that he's not doing this for himself? He's doing this for the thousands waiting around the world. He is fighting the good fight for all of us. He is Ghandi, MLK, the Dalai Lama, and Mother Teresa all in one, fighting against the injustice that are USCIS processing times. Everybody is disagreeing with him because he's an iconoclast, he's a Steve Jobs, a Bill Gates; he's here to change the world for better. You just won't get it.

Clearly you don't agree with the concept of reaching out to elected representatives about an issue. You know who does agree? Senators themselves! From her website:

My office will make every effort to assist you on a broad range of issues, provided that you:

So on one hand, I have an angry, irrational, insulting person who has misunderstood 11 posts that clearly say I know they will not do anything for my own application as I am well within processing timeline and that I am grateful and lucky to be in the position I am in; and on the other hand, the Senator herself who encourages New Yorkers who need help from a federal government agency (we qualify on both counts) to reach out to her. 

I think I'll go with her and not you. Agree to disagree. You also need to work on your reading comprehension skillz. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Ash.1101 said:

Youre better off sending this information to a journalist who may put in the effort to research, than to a senators paperperson who is going to brush it off as complaining.

Well, that is the Senator's job. Like, literally. To improve the federal government for her constituents. Don't believe me? Ask her! From her website:

We qualify on both counts. Sure they can brush all messages off as complaining. And her office could be just playing videogames all day. And they could hate all the people in their state. There are a lot of potential theories. Then there is the fact that she is encouraging people to reach out so she can do her job. So yea, that is what we're doing. 

Timeline
Just now, hispany said:

@KeratNY quick question, did you have any other Citizenship before Canadian?

Not relevant to the letter

Timeline
3 minutes ago, hispany said:

Good point. What was your other citizenship?

I was an Afghan warlord married to a North Korean dictator and we vacationed in Syria

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.