bcking

Trump declares North Korea "no longer a nuclear threat"

79 posts in this topic

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/13/politics/trump-north-korea-nuclear-threat/index.html

He signed a document that had no actual content on the topic. All it said was:

"Chairman Kim Jong Un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula." and " Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula." There are no details into how we can ensure that is happening, or what North Korea is specifically going to do. We have no means of monitoring them (beyond what we were doing before the agreement). We just suddenly trust them now and believe they are no longer a threat? (https://www.vox.com/2018/6/12/17452532/trump-kim-document-agreement-full-text-denuclearization-read)

Meanwhile the JCPOA laid out VERY specific monitoring tools, and VERY specific limitations on the Iran government's program, and he argued that it wasn't enough:

"Worst of all, the deal allows Iran to continue developing certain elements of its nuclear program. And importantly, in just a few years, as key restrictions disappear, Iran can sprint towards a rapid nuclear weapons breakout. In other words, we got weak inspections in exchange for no more than a purely short-term and temporary delay in Iran's path to nuclear weapons." (https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-iran-strategy/)

He needs to come up with an actual agreement that has details that North Korea agrees to. All he's done so far is sign a piece of paper that lacks really anything substantial. It's a great first start, don't get me wrong, but it holds North Korea to nothing.

Edited by bcking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You do realize that CNN is a biased news outlet right?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Bill & Katya said:

You do realize that CNN is a biased news outlet right?

I'm just using them to quote Trump. Taking a page out of the Trump book? If you can't question the content, question the source. Very respectable ;)

I can find another source. I'm sure Fox will make you happy. https://www.fox4now.com/news/national/north-korea-no-longer-a-nuclear-threat-trump-says

"Just landed - a long trip, but everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office," Trump tweeted as he arrived back in Washington. "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea."

Timeline
10 minutes ago, bcking said:

I'm just using them to quote Trump. Taking a page out of the Trump book? If you can't question the content, question the source. Very respectable ;)

I can find another source. I'm sure Fox will make you happy. https://www.fox4now.com/news/national/north-korea-no-longer-a-nuclear-threat-trump-says

"Just landed - a long trip, but everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office," Trump tweeted as he arrived back in Washington. "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea."

Then why not use Fox first?

Then why not use Fox first?

Because the article quoting him from CNN showed up on my android phone's "current events" page thing. 

They both quote the same twitter post. So honestly I should have just linked to his twitter. Focusing on who is reporting the tweet in this case is just blowing hot air.

Edited by bcking

Timeline
Just now, bcking said:

Because the article quoting him from CNN showed up on my android phone's "current events" page thing. 

They both quote the same twitter post. So honestly I should have just linked to his twitter. Focusing on who is reporting the tweet in this case is just blowing hot air.

Personally, I don't care which source you use to talk rhetoric.  If you believe Trump believes KJU is completely trustworthy with Bolton and Pompeo behind him then fine.  It does fall into the basic strategy of convincing your political enemies that one is stupid.

3 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Personally, I don't care which source you use to talk rhetoric.  If you believe Trump believes KJU is completely trustworthy with Bolton and Pompeo behind him then fine.  It does fall into the basic strategy of convincing your political enemies that one is stupid.

I'm not talking rhetoric. I'm talking about a direct quote from Trump.

He believes North Korea is "no longer a Nuclear threat". He said it himself. I think that is curious since we have no agreement that establishes ANYTHING specific.

You are avoiding the actual topic of the post. Typical.

EDIT: Also I find it hilarious that you say "I don't care which source" when you are the only one that brought up the source. Also typical.

Edited by bcking

Timeline
1 minute ago, bcking said:

I'm not talking rhetoric. I'm talking about a direct quote from Trump.

He believes North Korea is "no longer a Nuclear threat". He said it himself. I think that is curious since we have no agreement that establishes ANYTHING specific.

You are avoiding the actual topic of the post. Typical.

EDIT: Also I find it hilarious that you say "I don't care which source" when you are the only one that brought up the source. Also typical.

And Trump is spouting rhetoric.  That is what President's do. 

I was playing about the source, just go back through the posts here in CEHST when anyone posted an article from Fox, or the Daily Caller, etc. and read the feedback.

And Trump is spouting rhetoric.  That is what President's do. 

I was playing about the source, just go back through the posts here in CEHST when anyone posted an article from Fox, or the Daily Caller, etc. and read the feedback.

I'll paraphrase you - "What about these other posts on the forums"

I don't care about other posts on the forums. This thread is about Trump's tweet. Don't try to defend yourself with "whataboutism".

It is absolutely rhetoric, with nothing to back it up, after he complained about how the last "nuclear agreement" we had with a country wasn't strong enough. All we have is a piece of paper saying North Korea is "committed to denuclearization". If he wants to talk about "not strong enough" he has the perfect opportunity. There is a lot more work to be done and it is dangerous, unprofessional and inappropriate for him to claim that suddenly North Korea poses no nuclear threat.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Posting a CNN link does not give the story much credibility, not known as Clinton News for nothing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Posting a CNN link does not give the story much credibility, not known as Clinton News for nothing.

The CNN link merely quotes his tweet. I provided a Fox link because, you know, they can do no wrong ;)

God this obsession with "news sources" is such a farce lately. It's getting comically bad how often people are using that as a way to avoid an actual discussion.

The news source is important when you are talking about an actual investigative report. This is clearly not that. This is a short article about a tweet. They quote him directly. Concern over "bias" does not apply here. They aren't doing any investigating. These things shouldn't have to be explained and it's a shame that I have to do this.

Edited by bcking

Any source that is referencing Trump's tweets has inherent credibility issues, since they are referencing tweets that themselfs are mostly rubbish. 

Not sure why people are questioning that Trump actually made the tweet though. Doesn't really matter which source one uses, it doesn't change the facts that the tweet itself is absolute nonsense. It would be nice if people could focus on the big picture once in a while.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Timeline
37 minutes ago, bcking said:

I'll paraphrase you - "What about these other posts on the forums"

I don't care about other posts on the forums. This thread is about Trump's tweet. Don't try to defend yourself with "whataboutism".

It is absolutely rhetoric, with nothing to back it up, after he complained about how the last "nuclear agreement" we had with a country wasn't strong enough. All we have is a piece of paper saying North Korea is "committed to denuclearization". If he wants to talk about "not strong enough" he has the perfect opportunity. There is a lot more work to be done and it is dangerous, unprofessional and inappropriate for him to claim that suddenly North Korea poses no nuclear threat.

Sure, the "whataboutism" only works for those of certain political leanings, I get it.  The last nuclear agreement with Iran wasn't strong enough and since the last president thought he was a one man show it was a weak agreement that could be canceled by a successor which is what happened.  Pretty sophomoric.

Edited by Bill & Katya

2 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Sure, the "whataboutism" only works for those of certain political leanings, I get it.  The last nuclear agreement with Iran wasn't strong enough and since the last president thought he was a one man show it was a weak agreement that could have been canceled by a successor which is what happened.  Pretty sophomoric.

So is this nuclear agreement "strong enough" to declare NK no longer a Nuclear threat? It's not even really an agreement of anything specific. 

The only person using "whataboutism" in this thread is you. The topic of the thread was to compare the two agreements, which is quite logical. They are both "nuclear agreements" with hostile countries that I think we all would agree we don't want having nuclear weapons. One was as actual detailed agreement with strategies to enforce it, and apparently that wasn't "good enough". The other is simply stating that the country is "committed", but suddenly that means the country is no longer a nuclear threat. Trump is a hypocrite, and this highlights it quite well.

Unfortunately as I said in the other thread, I have to make my way to some meetings. Enjoy your day.

Edited by bcking